Will metal toe taps make my shoes clunky?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by newbie123, Sep 17, 2011.

1. newbie123

newbie123 Well-Known Member

I have several pairs of Allen Edmonds and noticed that the toe of the sole is visibly worn out while the heel part is completely fine. While searching here in SF, I've noticed that people recommended plastic, rubber or metal toe taps.

I'm leaning towards the metal toe taps. However, I'm a little worried that this may make my shoes "clunky" after seeing this video:

Has anybody here had any experience with toe taps? Did it make your shoes "clunky"?

Please help a newbie out :)

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

You can put sunken metal toe taps into your shoes.

[​IMG]

3. WorkingOnIt

WorkingOnIt Senior member

+1

Flush toe taps will not be clunky. They also do not make the clicking noise that heel taps make. You can get them done at B. Nelson if you don't have a local shop. Most cobblers do not do this work though, so call and ask if you're going local.

4. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Heel taps could make the shoes clunky, but 4 heel taps per heel will make the shoes very clunky.

Sunken taps are idea; however, segs are suitable. I have had work shoes fitted with toe-segs and have not encounted any issues with clunking.

5. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Yeah, but it cost 2-3 X as much.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

that's pretty new to me. pls explain...

7. newbie123

newbie123 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses, I will look into sunken toe taps.

If anybody has any recommendations of shoe repairs in the NYC area, please let me know, thanks!

8. WorkingOnIt

WorkingOnIt Senior member

9. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I hate heel taps. I feel it ruins the balance of my shoes. I wear away my heels quickly, but that's life.

I regularly use plastic toe taps. They're insanely cheap and just need replacing every so often. I would get sunken metal taps if I had someone who would install them for me. I am rather hard on the toes of my shoes.

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

how can sunken heel taps ruin the balance? beside metal, one can have hard rubber or teflon.

11. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Ah I see what the problem is. I'm not talking about sunken heel taps. Those are great... I'm talking about the kind you nail to the back of the shoe. Not sure if you have those in Austria, but they're the norm in the states. Dislike them a lot.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i just wanted to be sure. yes, i have seen them here on sf. strangest thing was this guy with the ferrari, the mansion, 60+ pairs of shoes and the plastic heel taps.

also the TaT guy had them on his vash. ridiculous, imo.

they definitely ruin the balance and i suspect them as very slippery. agreed, that the metal taps need a bit of acclimatization. but i can assure you, it's not that bad as the stories about them here on sf. imo, it's more a matter of personal preference.

13. Toffee

Toffee Active Member

I agree with Fritzl here.

Deduct the cost of toe taps and heel taps and you have a good deposit on a resole.

I have a nice old pair of John Lobbs which are slightly too long for me so I asked my cobbler to put a small strip of vibram on the sole tip. It looks exactly like the steel toe tip except it is vibram and there is much less sole leather cut off the shoe.

Might not look so nice, but it is comfortable, it does not slip on airport floors and it does slow down the wear on the toe very well.

More importantly there is no risk of damage to the stitching between the sole and the welt.

I prefer practical to pretty anyway.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

This will no dubt spark howls of outrage from the self-proclaimed purists, but a Topys outsole will also cure the thinned-out-toe issue, as well as providing better grip on slippery surfaces and significantly extending the life of the sole.

As for 'balance', I haven't yet seen or even heard of someone teetering about as a result of having toe or heel taps installed. I agree that the sunken variety are vastly preferable if that is to be the route taken.

15. pk977

pk977 Well-Known Member

I bit crazy when you install too much segs on your boots. As a drill soldier on the royal parade we install two or three to protect the shoes front and Heel parts,It is unless to do this.