• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will metal toe taps make my shoes clunky?

newbie123

Reaction score
I have several pairs of Allen Edmonds and noticed that the toe of the sole is visibly worn out while the heel part is completely fine. While searching here in SF, I've noticed that people recommended plastic, rubber or metal toe taps.

I'm leaning towards the metal toe taps. However, I'm a little worried that this may make my shoes "clunky" after seeing this video:

Has anybody here had any experience with toe taps? Did it make your shoes "clunky"?

Please help a newbie out :)

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can put sunken metal toe taps into your shoes.

DSC_0041-1.jpg

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score

You can put sunken metal toe taps into your shoes.

+1

Flush toe taps will not be clunky. They also do not make the clicking noise that heel taps make. You can get them done at B. Nelson if you don't have a local shop. Most cobblers do not do this work though, so call and ask if you're going local.

Macallan

Reaction score
Heel taps could make the shoes clunky, but 4 heel taps per heel will make the shoes very clunky.

Sunken taps are idea; however, segs are suitable. I have had work shoes fitted with toe-segs and have not encounted any issues with clunking.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

newbie123

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I will look into sunken toe taps.

If anybody has any recommendations of shoe repairs in the NYC area, please let me know, thanks!

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate heel taps. I feel it ruins the balance of my shoes. I wear away my heels quickly, but that's life.

I regularly use plastic toe taps. They're insanely cheap and just need replacing every so often. I would get sunken metal taps if I had someone who would install them for me. I am rather hard on the toes of my shoes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hate heel taps. I feel it ruins the balance of my shoes. I wear away my heels quickly, but that's life.

how can sunken heel taps ruin the balance? beside metal, one can have hard rubber or teflon.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how can sunken heel taps ruin the balance? beside metal, one can have hard rubber or teflon.

Ah I see what the problem is. I'm not talking about sunken heel taps. Those are great... I'm talking about the kind you nail to the back of the shoe. Not sure if you have those in Austria, but they're the norm in the states. Dislike them a lot.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ah I see what the problem is. I'm not talking about sunken heel taps. Those are great... I'm talking about the kind you nail to the back of the shoe. Not sure if you have those in Austria, but they're the norm in the states. Dislike them a lot.

i just wanted to be sure. yes, i have seen them here on sf. strangest thing was this guy with the ferrari, the mansion, 60+ pairs of shoes and the plastic heel taps.

also the TaT guy had them on his vash. ridiculous, imo.

they definitely ruin the balance and i suspect them as very slippery. agreed, that the metal taps need a bit of acclimatization. but i can assure you, it's not that bad as the stories about them here on sf. imo, it's more a matter of personal preference.

Toffee

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i just wanted to be sure. yes, i have seen them here on sf. strangest thing was this guy with the ferrari, the mansion, 60+ pairs of shoes and the plastic heel taps.

also the TaT guy had them on his vash. ridiculous, imo.

they definitely ruin the balance and i suspect them as very slippery. agreed, that the metal taps need a bit of acclimatization. but i can assure you, it's not that bad as the stories about them here on sf. imo, it's more a matter of personal preference.

I agree with Fritzl here.

Deduct the cost of toe taps and heel taps and you have a good deposit on a resole.

I have a nice old pair of John Lobbs which are slightly too long for me so I asked my cobbler to put a small strip of vibram on the sole tip. It looks exactly like the steel toe tip except it is vibram and there is much less sole leather cut off the shoe.

Might not look so nice, but it is comfortable, it does not slip on airport floors and it does slow down the wear on the toe very well.

More importantly there is no risk of damage to the stitching between the sole and the welt.

I prefer practical to pretty anyway.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will no dubt spark howls of outrage from the self-proclaimed purists, but a Topys outsole will also cure the thinned-out-toe issue, as well as providing better grip on slippery surfaces and significantly extending the life of the sole.

As for 'balance', I haven't yet seen or even heard of someone teetering about as a result of having toe or heel taps installed. I agree that the sunken variety are vastly preferable if that is to be the route taken.

pk977

Reaction score
I bit crazy when you install too much segs on your boots. As a drill soldier on the royal parade we install two or three to protect the shoes front and Heel parts,It is unless to do this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads