• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will Incotex shrink in the dryer?

jcc123

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a few Incotex cotton or cotton/linen pants. I'm a size 31 but have only seen 30 and 32 sizes. I was thinking that if they shink I can just get the 32 instead of getting the 30 and add an inch.

Do they shrink both length and widthwise?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They very well may but why do that?

I recommend getting 32's and tailor down to fit you.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The problem is that they won't shrink uniformly or nicely. The lining will shrink one way, the stitching may shrink more than the fabric, etc. Do not do.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I ended up getting 32s and having them tailored.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do it.

A pair if pants is more than the fabric. It is fabric + stitching + interlining + hardware. Jeans (and the Incotex styled like them) are different.

If you dry your pants in the dryer with any heat, the relationship of all these components will change and you will be f*cked, especially around the waistband.

With cotton and cotton/linen trousers there is a chance that the alteration may show if you let the pants out, so best to buy them an inch larger and have them taken in.

rob

Reaction score
Any recommendations about how to clean them? Wash and hang dry or send out for drycleaning. And I'm talking 100 % cotten here. I just got some and my natural inclination would be to wash and hang dry the more casual trousers.

Thanks.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
The problem is that they won't shrink uniformly or nicely. The lining will shrink one way, the stitching may shrink more than the fabric, etc. Do not do.

+1

I have washed some Incotex because they were already beat up weekend pants. They survived, but were the worse for wear.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcc123
I was thinking about buying a few Incotex cotton or cotton/linen pants. I'm a size 31 but have only seen 30 and 32 sizes. I was thinking that if they shink I can just get the 32 instead of getting the 30 and add an inch.

Do they shrink both length and widthwise?

Have you even tried the pants on for reference? Incotex sizes vary wildly, so you may be in for a surprise.

jcc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Have you even tried the pants on for reference? Incotex sizes vary wildly, so you may be in for a surprise.

You're referring to different models of pants right? I would expect their cotton pants of the same model to be the same?

I tried their cotton pants at Barney's and discovered that the 32 were a bit loose on me and the 30 were a bit snug. I didn't see 31 anywhere and the salesman said neither has he.

So you're saying that I shouldn't expect the wool dress pants models to fit the same way?

Since today's style dictates a more form fitting pants wouldn't you recommend loosening a size 30 to 31 rather than a 32 down to a 31? The 32 looked a bit more baggy on me.

jcc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Don't do it.

A pair if pants is more than the fabric. It is fabric + stitching + interlining + hardware. Jeans (and the Incotex styled like them) are different.

If you dry your pants in the dryer with any heat, the relationship of all these components will change and you will be f*cked, especially around the waistband.

With cotton and cotton/linen trousers there is a chance that the alteration may show if you let the pants out, so best to buy them an inch larger and have them taken in.

Even if I don't put them in the dryer I would still expect cotton/linen to shrink after washings. As far as I know Incotex doesn't pre-shrink their pants?

So I guess I should just get the 32 and hope after repeated washings that they'll shrink down to what I need.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
They very well may but why do that?

I recommend getting 32's and tailor down to fit you.

hmm, I always thought the rule of thumb was to tailor a size down (i.e. get the 30). Considering the OP is slim and probably doesn't have huge thighs, I think the extra room in the seat might not look good.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
hmm, I always thought the rule of thumb was to tailor a size down (i.e. get the 30). Considering the OP is slim and probably doesn't have huge thighs, I think the extra room in the seat might not look good.

We're talking cotton pants which will no doubt shrink. Especially since the OP mentions "dryer" which means they're going into the hamper at some point.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm the same size and typical buy 30s and let out the waist. Sometimes there is too much volume in 32s for my chicken legs. But as Mack said, sometimes cotton and linen will leave impressions where the original stitching was. Usually works better on wool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads