• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will I become ill if I eat this leftover veal parm?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had veal parm for dinner last night; leftovers were stuck in an airtight container and refrigerated for a few hours. They were then taken out of the fridge, and I forgot to put them back in. Spent ~8 hours on the counter top. Internets say I should not eat, but I am hoping they are just being overly cautious. Help.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Food shouldn't sit out for even more than an hour.

Remember to always let cooked food sit out about 15 to 30 minutes to cool at room temperature before refrigeration.

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Had veal parm for dinner last night; leftovers were stuck in an airtight container and refrigerated for a few hours. They were then taken out of the fridge, and I forgot to put them back in. Spent ~8 hours on the counter top. Internets say I should not eat, but I am hoping they are just being overly cautious. Help.

Depends on your stomac I would say. I personally wouldnt. Probably. Unless I was super hungry and that was all there was. And still I'dd probably nuke it in the micro first...

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Food shouldn't sit out for even more than an hour.

Remember to always let cooked food sit out about 15 to 30 minutes to cool at room temperature before refrigeration.

Where did you hear that? Even cheese can sit outside for 2 hours before it's not safe to eat anymore.

And 8 hours is a long ******* time, but I've eaten food that has sat that long. You're going to take wild *****.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Where did you hear that? Even cheese can sit outside for 2 hours before it's not safe to eat anymore.

Not sure, just info collected over time. Probably depends on the food then.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto

And 8 hours is a long ******* time, but I've eaten food that has sat that long. You're going to take wild *****.

For real? I've definitely eaten cheese or meat left out for significantly longer without so much as a stomach ache. Is it really only 2/8 hours?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it smells alright and doesn't have dots growing on it, go ahead and eat it.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
For real? I've definitely eaten cheese or meat left out for significantly longer without so much as a stomach ache. Is it really only 2/8 hours?

2 hours is the restaurant safety standard for most food. After 2 hours bacteria starts to really kick in.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
The foods been cooked and it's in an airtight container. It'll probably be okay. Those standards are mostly for raw food.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

this. i've never gotten sick eating food left out for 8 hours in those foam take out things and i've eaten plenty of that ****.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

Seems like sound advice, but your s/n suggests you may have ulterior motives.
teacha.gif

If I were to eat it, what would be the best way of heating it up, in terms of killing bacteria and whatnot? Microwave or oven?

Rover!

Reaction score
I've eaten a ton of stuff I've left out overnight, and have yet to suffer any sort of bad reaction to it. Maybe it's just my stomach. According to the interwebz you can kill the bacteria by heating it, but you can't get rid of the toxins they produced when breaking down the food. Just nuke it in the microwave and see.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My GF's family rarely puts their leftovers in the fridge. it grosses me out.

That being said. I've eating some sketchy things in my day. You should be fine

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pix or gtfo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics