1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Will I be ok lifting four days a week?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by dusty, Jul 21, 2006.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

makes sure you are not over training. Consume sufficient amount of high quality protein and mineral, very important.

2. dusty

dusty Senior member

Here's what I still don't get: If I'm targeting specific muscles each day of the week, how is it those muscles aren't getting a week of rest? I'm sure there's some degree of muscle cooperation involved for any exercise, but so far I'm only feeling pain in what I've worked specifically. For example, after I did triceps, my triceps hurt terribly, but every other muscle in my arm was fine.

Also, can I run every day?

Dusty, out of curiosity, what changed your mind on training?

Just trying to keep in shape, plus I'm bored.

3. Jolly Green

Jolly Green Well-Known Member

Do you really enjoy the gym THAT much? Do you have that much spare time on your hands? maybe it's the novelty of the idea. While I'm sure there are ways that it can be done without long-term consequence. I ask why spend all that time?

As a beginner any exercise will show gains regardless of technique or frequency.

For more efficient training, go 1 - 2 1/2 times a week and work on complex lifts. Squats, deadlifts, benchpress, pullups, dips, incline shrugs, for example. Prefer free-weights if you can do so safely...in fact, with proper technique, FW's can be safer because they allow natural movement of the body. Some combination of these will provide a more balanced workout that requires less time in the gym than muscle-specific lifts like leg extensions and curls.

Throw in a few laps in the pool.

Cheers,
    D

edited to remove flamey comment.

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I would not recommend targeting specific muscle groups. Aside from this leaving you functionally quite weak, this sort of specific training is also more time consuming. Focusing broadly (eg upper body) is not necessarily a bad idea, but, especially for a beginner, you shouldn't be working single muscles. Hell, even later on, you should work muscle groups and not single muscles.

To answer your question specifically, yes, you can work out more frequently if you only do a single muscle each day. But you could also do everything you'd do in a week in a single day, and healing is in many ways a systemic thing. Breaking it up like that is vastly less efficient.

Yes you can run every day, though, again, rest is advisable. Leave at least one day a week for complete rest (on that day, all you should do is stretch).

5. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

hmm, it is funny to see how many people weighed in saying that four days a week is too much. As someone who is of average muscular build (6' , 185 lbs.), and who constantly reads about training/health and works out excessively I can tell you that people who are in very good health often train 5-6 days a week. This is not to say that with only 4 days a week you are not going to get great results.

If you want an excellent guide, in my opinion as well as that of a couple of my buddies who are bodybuilders, Arnold Schwarzenegger's book entitled "Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" is the most thorough guide to understanding the workout and how to get maximum results for each body type. In general, you should be doing aerobic/cardio exercises 4-5 times a week for roughly 35-45 minutes, this includes brisk walks, bicycling, etc. If you want to see results lifting weights, you should be working out at least 4 times a week alternating muscles worked and generally doing ab workouts every time. My brother is a fitness consultant with the Marines and has been whipping my butt into shape my whole life! This book has helped me immensely. Also, don't feel afraid to approach someone at the gym whose physique you admire to ask them their training regimen, it is a good way to find a great workout partner!

6. Jolly Green

Jolly Green Well-Known Member

Oh yeah.

Remember that there are no "quick fixes." Stay away from the steroids.

-Correct execution and form are required on every rep of every lift to stay safe. goes for machine or free weights
    -If you cannot lift with correct form due to muscle fatigue or lack of concentration, STOP the lift.
    -Don't lift to complete failure without a knowleldgable and attentive spotter and safety equipment.
    -Weight/reps should be added in very small incremets. 1-2 lb max each session for a given lift. Which means to increase bench press (or any other lift) by 50 lbs requires a year. This pace will help you maintain correct form. I purchaced 1lb wrist/ankle weights to add to my barbell/etc because my gym doesn't have anything smaller than 2.5lb plates.
    -Maintain a workout log to track progress.
    -Warm up and cool down.

Cheers,
    D

7. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

hmm, it is funny to see how many people weighed in saying that four days a week is too much. As someone who is of average muscular build (6' , 185 lbs.), and who constantly reads about training/health and works out excessively I can tell you that people who are in very good health train 5-6 days a week. This is not to say that with only 4 days a week you are not going to get great results.
    Lifting six days a week is a great way to permanently injure yourself and never see any gain.

8. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

You clearly don't work out correctly if you think this is the case. As long you are not lifting incorrectly/excessively, and alternation between muscles worked is followed whilst maintaining an appropriate diet/water intake you could work out 7 days a week (although you should not). I don't know where you get your info. from but if you know anyone who is extremely athletic and/or a bodybuilder they would laugh at this claim. If you are referring to working EVERY muscle in your body EVERYDAY then yes, that would be extremely unintelligent and you would absolutely hurt yourself. Of course your muscles need time to relax. That is why you ALTERNATE.

I work out 6 days a week and see at least 50 other people in my gym on a daily basis who do the same. I have no intention of turning this into an argument, but you are clearly assuming that I am referring to working out for 6 hours a day 6 days a week, which is not the case.

This is absolutely absurd; You "would not recommend targeting specific muscle groups!" You might as well tell the guy to sit on his arse whilst drinking a beer to get in shape!

9. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

hmm, it is funny to see how many people weighed in saying that four days a week is too much. As someone who is of average muscular build (6' , 185 lbs.), and who constantly reads about training/health and works out excessively I can tell you that people who are in very good health train 5-6 days a week. This is not to say that with only 4 days a week you are not going to get great results.

If you want an excellent guide, in my opinion as well as that of a couple of my buddies who are bodybuilders, Arnold Schwarzenegger's book entitled "Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" is the most thorough guide to understanding the workout and how to get maximum results for each body type. In general, you should be doing aerobic/cardio exercises 4-5 times a week for roughly 35-45 minutes, this includes brisk walks, bicycling, etc. If you want to see results lifting weights, you should be working out at least 4 times a week alternating muscles worked and generally doing ab workouts every time. My brother is a fitness consultant with the Marines and has been whipping my butt into shape my whole life! This book has helped me immensely. Also, don't feel afraid to approach someone at the gym whose physique you admire to ask them their training regimen, it is a good way to find a great workout partner!

All due respect, what works for Schwarzenegger is not going to work for everyone. I've been through this with trainers and seen it in action in my own workouts. I have to fight dearly to gain any weight at all, and if I lift four times a week, I will not see any gains. It's only when I drop down to two, sometimes three days a week of lifting that I start to see any progression at all. Even then it's slow, but at least it's something.

So, I'm calling bullshit. What works for some people won't work for all people. There are plenty of health and bodybuilding resources that will tell you exactly what I've said--that for some people, four days of lifting a week will be overtraining (particularly if you're doing mostly compound exercises, like you should). If dusty is one of those for whom four+ days a week of lifting works, then great. If not, your advice could limit his gains. I had mine limited for a long time due to the very mindset you seem to have.

10. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

^^ I understand your quip and I did not say that everyone should work out more than 4 days I week, I was simply pointing out that is is ABSOLUTELY not "bad" to work out 4 days a week, which was the poster's question, was it not? And with all due respect, the book is not "what works for Arnold" it is possibly the most definitive work to date as it was done under guidance from several doctors as well as a vast multitude of other bodybuilders. It is not simply what works for them, it shows EVERY exercise under the sun and explains how it works each muscle for each body type; the damn thing weighs 15 lbs.! It leaves no stone unturned.

Is this statement not being a bit hypocritical? Again, whilst you may think I am assuming what works for me or Arnold is what will work for the person who posted the thread, you are doing the same thing by saying that less than 4 days works for you so it should work for him. You are right, each body is different, so your advice to him is no better than mine.

It seems I am being made to seem as some sort of workout Nazi, I was simply saying that if you learn to work out correctly (which I suggest you save some money doing by buying the book instead of getting a trainer) you can work out for more than 4 days a week. I did not say you have to, I did not say you need to. All I am saying is that it depends on you and how intensely you work out.

[​IMG]

Therefore, I would again mention that you should buy the book.

11. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

^^ I understand your quip and I did not say that everyone should work out more than 4 days I week, I was simply pointing out that is is ABSOLUTELY not "bad" to work out 4 days a week, which was the poster's question, was it not? And with all due respect, the book is not "what works for Arnold" it is possibly the most definitive work to date as it was done under guidance from several doctors as well as a vast multitude of other bodybuilders. It is not simply what works for them, it shows EVERY exercise under the sun and explains how it works each muscle for each body type; the damn thing weighs 15 lbs.! It leaves no stone unturned.
    Alright, you're right. I overreacted. And just to clarify my position: I am not saying that the poster *should* work four days a week, three, five, etc. I'm saying, read a lot, do your homework, and watch your results, and if you stop making progress, keep in mind that you *may* (depending on your own body) need to cut back on your lifting (in terms of frequency, definitely not intensity). So if four days is working for you, then by all means don't change a thing. If three days is working, same thing; if five or six days is working, again, same thing. Just be willing to experiment to find out what works.
    ...Which is why I wasn't being hypocritical. I said, "if dusty is one of those for whom four+ days a week of lifting works, then great", and I meant it.

12. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

I agree. All I was saying is check the book out to help learn what will work for you. Instead of getting several opinions from us, get several opinions from doctors, athletes, etc. through reading up and learning how your body works. In the end, the best way to learn is to go through the motions and learn how your body reacts/recovers. Of course, do this with a thorough knowledge of how to work certain muscles to avoid injury.

13. Buddy Love

Buddy Love Senior member

blaah...blaah...blaah...mostly bullshit
    Welcome to the last decade.It's a good book for how the movements should be done. But following its training regiments will soon get you overtrained. If you have extremely good genetics or use steroids, they may work for you. This is exactly the reason why I would seek knowledge from somewhere else. Excellent site for finding training programs: www.t-nation.com
    I would not recommend targeting specific muscle groups. Aside from this leaving you functionally quite weak, this sort of specific training is also more time consuming. Focusing broadly (eg upper body) is not necessarily a bad idea, but, especially for a beginner, you shouldn't be working single muscles. Hell, even later on, you should work muscle groups and not single muscles.
    Totally agreed = You should really emphasize compound movements.
    Lifting six days a week is a great way to permanently injure yourself and never see any gain.
    For most of us, I wholeheartedly agree.
    For more efficient training, go 1 - 2 1/2 times a week and work on complex lifts. Squats, deadlifts, benchpress, pullups, dips, incline shrugs, for example. Prefer free-weights if you can do so safely...in fact, with proper technique, FW's can be safer because they allow natural movement of the body. Some combination of these will provide a more balanced workout that requires less time in the gym than muscle-specific lifts like leg extensions and curls.
    Wise words. And true.

14. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

You have a lovely way of disagreeing with people.....prick

[​IMG]

He is correct in saying that for beginners you do not necessarily need to target specific muscle groups, but in the long run, when you want great definition and separation, you have to target specific muscle groups. Then again, it depends on the level you intend on achieving. If you generally want "more upper body" strength, etc. then yes, compound movements are beneficial. Again, you are assuming things about what I intend.

In regards to the book. Last decade? It is 10 years old and whilst there may have been advances in machinery/theory since then, it is a feckin' encyclopedia and is great for someone who is just getting into working out. Your logic is like saying that Encyclopedia Britannica 1996 is obsolete, that is entirely unintelligent. You clearly have not read it and don't know much on the subject other than what has worked for you and/or what your trainer has told you. As I said before, I come from a very athletic family, have a brother who works in fitness industry for one of the most elite fitness-oriented organizations in the world (The Marines) and have read a vast multitude of books on health/training. This in my opinion, and virtually everyone else's (other than you) is an excellent book.

Anyways, it really is obnoxious to continually assume what I mean when I say you can work out six days a week. Did I say work biceps 4 out of 6 days? Did I say work your traps 3 days in a row? No, I didn't so stop assuming things.

The book proposes several different workout routines each for beginners, advanced lifters, and competition lifters. It is not a good way to "get you overtrained" you idiot. Some of the routines are for 2-day-a-week workouts!!! It has something for everyone, no matter if you work out a little or alot. Like I said before, you don't know anything about the book and have clearly never even seen it, so keep your uninformed assumptive opinions to yourself.

15. Buddy Love

Buddy Love Senior member

In regards to the book. Last decade? It is 10 years old and whilst there may have been advances in machinery/theory since then, it is a feckin' encyclopedia and is great for someone who is just getting into working out. You clearly have not read it and don't know much on the subject other than what has worked for you and/or what your trainer has told you.
    Wrong. I have the book and have read it too. It's very good book for exercises, old bodybuilding photos and posing. It's training section is however very limited and except genetically elite, very outdated. The 1st version was printed in 1985 btw. I have many training books, some more scientific some not. This book is very good for beginners, containing pretty good exercise descriptions too and training programs that won't wear you out (well they will, but not overwear): [​IMG] Here. And I promise you I have read much,much more than that book about training and bodybuilding in general. When you have read more than Mr. Schwarzenegger's book and widened your perspective, we can continue our discussion then.
    The book proposes several different workout routines each for beginner's, advanced lifters, and competition lifters. It is not a good way to "get you overtrained" you idiot. Some of the routines are for 2-day-a-week workouts!!! It has something for everyone, no matter if you work out a little or alot. Like I said before, you don't know anything about the book and have clearly never even seen it, so keep your uninformed assumptive opinions to yourself.
    Even basic routines are 6 days a week, split training routines. Since your reading comprehension is (also) so limited, I won't continue this discussion since this is useless. Have fun with your "bible". And it's title is "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding". I would advise thread starter (again) to read some dedicated sites instead of basing your opinions on this thread.

16. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Hmm. What is this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068...e=UTF8&s=books

Revised and updated in 1999!

In regards to reading more books? You don't know anything about me to make such assumptions. You "promise" you have read "much much more." How pompous. As I said before, I love fitness and have amassed a vast array on the subject to broaden my perspectives, which I already mentioned.

In the end, I can't expect that someone who can't even read posts would be able to read and offer educated opinions on an area of literature.

Since you are intensely obnoxious and feel the need to point out grammatical errors, I will note that in this instance you would use "its" not "it's" which means "it is" and despite common misconceptions does not imply posession........jerk

17. Buddy Love

Buddy Love Senior member

In regards to reading more books? You don't know anything about me to make such assumptions. You "promise" you have read "much much more." How pompous. As I said before, I love fitness and have amassed a vast array on the subject to broaden my perspectives, which I already mentioned. In the end, I can't expect that someone who can't even read posts would be able to read and offer educated opinions on an area of literature.
    Sure. You should get acquainted with logical fallacies. Especially with "Ad Hominen". And not making assumptions that if someone disagrees with you they couldn't have read the same book as you did. And like I told you, even basic training programs in the book are 6-day workouts. At least in my edition. You must have rare print then. I pointed that error because the word "New" was missing. Without it, you are talking about the 1985 version. And that's more than 20 year old. Ok. I'm sorry, but we can talk again when you have passed puberty. This is like trying to explain rocket science to a monkey.

18. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

The fact that you get so worked up by internet conversation regarding weightlifting is a testament to your temperament and maturity. I can't see how there is any purpose in continuing a conversation with someone so rude and demeaning. Puberty? How old are you to actually make such an unintelligent and unoriginal joke? Have a great day !

[​IMG]

19. Buddy Love

Buddy Love Senior member

Have a great day !
    Thank you. I'm sorry I got worked up. Bad manners on my part.

20. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

The fact that you get so worked up by internet conversation regarding weightlifting is a testament to your temperament and maturity. I can't see how there is any purpose in continuing a conversation with someone so rude and demeaning. Puberty? How old are you to actually make such an unintelligent and unoriginal joke? Have a great day !

[​IMG]

Of course, you've now edited out the ad hominem bullshit in your posts, but I would remind you still: Pot. Kettle. Black.