• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will be 24 next year. Taking a year to travel. Where to go?

mr.loverman

Reaction score
So I graduated from college in May. Been living at home and worked pretty much straight through since without taking any vacations. Random jobs and also started my own business. A lot of 50+ hr weeks. I'm not getting rich, but I'm now debt free and saved a bit of money. Anyway I'm looking to tie things up with my business at the end of the summer and take off.

I haven't really spent any time abroad so I thought you guys might have some suggestions. I'm currently in the Northeast U.S. I had lived in Florida for 4 years. Loved the weather but hated the sprawl, tackiness and lack of urban planning.

I want to go somewhere warm, with clean air and clean water. I like swimming, hiking, surfing, fishing, diving and working out. Access to fresh food(i.e. markets, farmer's markets, organic food) would be a plus because I love to cook. I'm not really into clubs and partying but there should be enough girls around that I wouldn't have too hard of a time getting laid. So maybe somewhere with a contained walkable city with nearby wilderness. Also a good economy. I have a few different trades and skills so it would be a bonus if I could work. An art scene would be cool too. I'm open to any ideas.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman

I want to go somewhere warm, with clean air and clean water. I like swimming, hiking, surfing, fishing, diving and working out. Access to fresh food(i.e. markets, farmer's markets, organic food) would be a plus because I love to cook. I'm not really into clubs and partying but there should be enough girls around that I wouldn't have too hard of a time getting laid. So maybe somewhere with a contained walkable city with nearby wilderness. Also a good economy. I have a few different trades and skills so it would be a bonus if I could work. An art scene would be cool too. I'm open to any ideas.

You suck and are boring.

Portions of latin america will work for you - Chile, Argentina and Uruguay are the only countries I can think of that will offer what you want (particularly clean water, air and food). And I'm not sure about the water.

Australia, New Zealand should have everything you want. Not sure about food.

Western and Northern Europe (north in the spring/summer for hiking).

Japan - don't know about the air, but water and food should be fine. PRobably won't get laid though.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but "I'm not rich" and "taking a year off to travel" seem mutually exclusive.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Maybe it's just me, but "I'm not rich" and "taking a year off to travel" seem mutually exclusive.

I think he will probably just use whatever money he has saved to get him started, if I understand him correctly. Being loaded and also being able to take a year off to travel are certainly not mutually exclusive.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what languages do you speak?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're 24 try to comprehend that. You would get more out of this trip if you were in your late 20's and much wiser. You would truly appreciate what is out there a lot more then at 24.

Besides RIGHT NOW is the best time to become rich. Use this economy to grow.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
spanish, a little french. i would consider learning german.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
You're 24 try to comprehend that. You would get more out of this trip if you were in your late 20's and much wiser. You would truly appreciate what is out there a lot more then at 24.

Besides RIGHT NOW is the best time to become rich. Use this economy to grow.

Interesting. It's certainly true that I've met many young idiots during my travels. On the other hand, I also consider it idiotic to force oneself to make a living doing something one doesn't love - which seems to be the alternative that 90% of the other idiots I know are doing.

ssnyc

Reaction score
Really depends on the culture your most interested in.

-Rio satisfies most requirements.

-Buenos Aires then Punta del este.

-Greek Islands. Just jump around...Ios, Paros, Mykonos, San Torini (more for couples).

Then go hang out in the Greek Riviera. The GR is amazing, clean, tons of girls. Although close to Athens, it's so different.

the list goes on...

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Berlin is supposed to have a very good avant garde art scene and it's the most affordable European city I've visited. Most Germans I've met speak better English than I speak German.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im pretty much in the same boat as you. done school worked for around a year and half and am 23. im looking at croatia and maybe greece, italy. but kind of slumming it. if i do europe croatia is a 100% gna be in the picture.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
im pretty much in the same boat as you. done school worked for around a year and half and am 23. im looking at croatia and maybe greece, italy. but kind of slumming it. if i do europe croatia is a 100% gna be in the picture.

Come to California ******.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Come to California ******.

what if i did? would we party hard core? or would we sit and talk about baking?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads