• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will Apple's iWatch turn us all into Agnelli-esque over-the-cuff watch wearers?

minervau

Reaction score
No. I will wear a mechanical watch and just keep my iPhone where it belongs, in my pocket. That, or get a pair of Google glasses.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose one could justify wearing a mechanical watch on one's right wrist (where I wear it anyway despite being right-handed) as back-up, since those smartwatches will have battery issues for the first few years.

I can't quite see Google Glass catching on, at least not until it can be reduced to the size of a contact lens. It would be very useful in glasses format when driving though.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the iWatch will be similar to Bluetooth headsets, those things that appear to assimilate the wearer directly into the hivemind of the Borg collective. Sure some people wear them, and they even may be useful, but everyone else can see how silly it looks. :smack:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See, the reason why I think that the iWatch will catch on better than Google Glass is simply because the former is far less conspicuous. And certainly less so than a bluetooth headset.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

See, the reason why I think that the iWatch will catch on better than Google Glass is simply because the former is far less conspicuous. And certainly less so than a bluetooth headset.

Google Glass is the future, albeit in a very rudimentary form right now - a watch that speaks to your phone sadly isn't.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Google Glass is the future, albeit in a very rudimentary form right now - a watch that speaks to your phone sadly isn't.

I agree that Glass in contact lens or implant format is the future; but before we get there we'll have a good 5-10 years of smartwatches.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apple has less then 15% EU market share and falling for smart phones. The only reason it's higher in the US is all the subsidies from the phone companies.

Does anybody think people worldwide will pay serious money for an Apple watch?

Most of the set that wants something that stands out are drawn to size. Holding up a six inch phone to your head is a much bigger status symbol for that market segment then any watch.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can gurantee this will never replace or even supplement any of my current mechanical time pieces.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The real question is, how well will it take bathroom WAYWRN shots?

IMG_0414.jpg

side2c.jpg

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score
What is the apple watch supposed to do? I can see the "augmented reality" selling point of google glasses as well as the mobile media functionality of the iphone/ipad but don't understand what the apple watch can achieve except be a prettier but less durable g-shock.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the apple watch supposed to do? I can see the "augmented reality" selling point of google glasses as well as the mobile media functionality of the iphone/ipad but don't understand what the apple watch can achieve except be a prettier but less durable g-shock.

Screening calls, reading sms and email, run fitness apps, remote controlling phone (e.g. switching silent mode on/off), and so on. Quite useful.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will be no need to wear the iWatch on top, as I imagine the screen will be powerful enough to simply burn a hole through your shirt and jacket sleeves.

Last edited:

gambit50

Reaction score
If you are a blind, thoughtless sheep, then sure.

So, probably for many/most.

You think a watch that requires you to carry the phone for all its input is a revelation?
Well, like a famous man once said,................

Why would you need to wear it over your shirt, anyway?

If they make one that attaches to the band of underwear, then I will be in. I want to peak under my pants often and justify it to all parties around me.
What do I do when going commando?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads