• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will a Zegna coat sized 54 be too big for someone who generally wears 42-44R jackets?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a Zegna peacoat online, but it is size 54. Seller says the chest measurement is 46" but hasn't gotten back to me regarding shoulder and shoulder hem-to-sleeve cuff measurements. So I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Zegna sizing and whether this coat would fit me. My chest is about 44", shoulders 19.5-20".

Secondly, is it advisable/realistic to tailor thick peacoats? I would like to know about its process and possible price ranges for sleeve shortening and tapering if possible. Thanks!

yo!

Reaction score
Maybe it is size 54 in euro size? If the jacket physically measures 46 inches then it is a size 42 jacket in American size.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Euro 54 most typically equates to US 44.

With some manufacturers and particular cuts, retailers will mark European size equivalents down one size - meaning they might mark a Euro 54 as a US 42. This is because Euro cuts tend to be slimmer, while most Americans prefer a larger cut. I have never seen them mark the other way; e.g. a Euro 54 would never be labeled a US 46.

I disagree with yo! in that, in my experience, a chest measurement (on a sportcoat, anyways) is typically the specified American size +2 inches. I wear a size US 46, and most of my sportcoats measure 48 inches at the chest.

I have several Zegna sportcoats and suits, and I find that their shoulders do tend to be slightly trimmer than their, say, Hickey-Freeman or Canali counterparts by about 1/2". So a Zegna E54 should equate to a trim US 44.

In sum, I think this peacoat will fit you just fine.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It also may depend on the style of the coat. I have two size 52 coats that are slightly different in styles but one is significantly roomier than the other.

-

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, if it happens to be too big, can it be altered?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have never found a Zegna RTW suit or sportcoat that does not fit on the large side. I would have to say that unless you are a true 44R, this coat will be too big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads