• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wilkes Bashford's cuffs.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
art_legend_0906_1.jpg
Just look at those cuffs; I can't imagine he would let his suits be tailored like that.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is rather suprising.

pejsek

Reaction score
Well, it gets worse than this (and LK has mercifully omitted a shot of the legs where a sad pinstripe pool is forming). This picture originally appeared in the SF magazine 7X7. We always have a copy because my wife does some consulting for them and I noticed the picture of Wilkes Bashford right away. The real kicker is among the captions. In response to the question, What's your fashion pet peeve? WB answers: "People who wear clothes that don't fit. Not enough people look at themselves in the mirror before they go out in the morning." Et tu? And then at the end: "...I like clothes to be as fitted as the physique can handle." Good advice, as long as you're not practicing what you preach. Oh, and the suit is (quite fittingly!) a Brioni.
But let's not be too harsh. I'm sure this is not WB's own suit and he probably just put it on for the photo shoot. But it's careless all the same. There aren't even any sleeve buttons, so how much time would it have taken to pin the sleeves up properly?
Anyway, he does offer this nice little anecdote about starting his business: "Most of the stores that were indigenous to San Francisco are gone--we're the only ones left, except for Gump's. Richard Gump was our very first customer. He bought a tie and fragrance. I think it was a gentleman's courtesy."

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone like Wilkes Bashford ought to be able to put together interesting enough outfits that he needn't be dressed by some stylist ninnies for a photoshoot.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that really the case where a stylist would choose clothing for a shoot for someone who's supposed to known for their style? Why would someone commit to this, especially a person with a reputation to uphold? Indeed, it's ironic that despite those awful cuffs, and the length of the jacket, there is a certain waist suppression, and the bottom button appears to be unbuttoned. Incidentally, the magazine also showcases this male stylist who is supposed to be a paragon of style but who bought a supreme tackiness of a watch: an oversized, overpriced Franck Muller. http://www.7x7sf.com/features/fashion

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Franck Muller is not the supreme tackiness, ROGER DUBUIS is the the supreme tackiness
They are the Holy Trinity: Franck Muller, Roger Dubuis, and God among them, Jacob the Jeweler.

drake

Reaction score
Wilkes Bashford (the store, never met the man) is meh at most; plus their constant dick sucking of Willie Brown is very grating.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
Wilkes Bashford (the store, never met the man) is meh at most; plus their constant dick sucking of Willie Brown is very grating.

Clean it up! That's crass and not fair! I think Willie B. was/is quite satisfied with the Freebies(clothing, I mean
devil.gif
)that he got from WB. I wonder what Willie did for WB?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
art_legend_0906_1.jpg

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wilkes Bashford (the store, never met the man) is meh at most
??? Wilkes is an exceptional store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads