Wilkes Bashford's cuffs.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Oct 2, 2006.

1. drake

drake Senior member

That was a dope ass book, poor Africans [​IMG]

Things fall apart.

Wilkes is by inlarge a store for men that have more money than sense. Don't get me wrong, they have some nice things occasionally, but by in large it's floor after floor of patterns and colors even my grandpa wouldn't wear and shirts and jackets that fit like tents.

From my anecdotal experience, I'v found people shop at Wilkes for two reason:

1. To say they shop at Wilkes.
    2. They are label whores (like a lot of the people here that drop to their knees everytime someone mentions Borelli even-though their shirts are total shit as far as quality of construction goes).

??? Wilkes is an exceptional store.

2. drake

drake Senior member

and I'll say this, Wilkes has the dubious honor of being the perfect example of how his customers dress.

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I couldn't disagree more. Wilkes fabric selection and color palette is second to none. The cuts tend to be conservative, true, but the customer that can afford their suits is most likely older, so a store full of slim cut suits would be a liability. For the exceptions there is always MTM.

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Things fall apart.

The centre cannot hold.

5. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

The Bashford cannot hear the Bashforder.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I couldn't disagree more. Wilkes fabric selection and color palette is second to none. The cuts tend to be conservative, true, but the customer that can afford their suits is most likely older, so a store full of slim cut suits would be a liability. For the exceptions there is always MTM.
    I agree that the buying at Wilkes is second to none in the US. The sportcoats, especially, are always chosen with a really terrific eye. The sales service is always excellent. The salespeople are friendly and, for the most part, have excellent taste. They do not push too hard. The problem, to me, is the after sales service. The tailors used to be absolute butchers, and the store would not do the right thing when the tailors ruined a garment. I don't know if they are like that anymore, but they lost my business a few years ago because of it. I don't even go in the store anymore. As far as MTM, they are not good at it at all. You really need to wait for a trunk show at Wilkes to have a good MTM experience.

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I really have a hard time imagining where else one would go for quality menswear in SF if not Wilkes. The selection, service and knowledge at Saks and Neimans are jokes compared to Wilkes. Billyblue and Roberts and Webley are out of business and Cable Car is not a broad source for menswear.

8. horton

horton Senior member

Looks like James Joyce in a Dick Tracey outfit

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Looks like James Joyce in a Dick Tracey outfit
    I don't know--James Joyce was fond of the bespoke.

10. redcaimen

redcaimen Bigtime

I don't know--James Joyce was fond of the bespoke.

He enjoyed a little Bewriting too.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'd have to say that Wilkes has to take a seat to both Louis and Bergdorfs for conservative, tailored clothing. Still, it is very good in its class. Until a few years ago, Wilkes had an interesting selection of avant garde designers on the top floor that is now, unfortunately, gone, replaced by rather bland looking casualwear.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

He enjoyed a little Bewriting too.
    Nora Joyce used to write that James Joyce would sit in his study late at night, giggling to himself, penning his Finnegans Wake.

13. redcaimen

redcaimen Bigtime

Nora Joyce used to write that James Joyce would sit in his study late at night, giggling to himself, penning his Finnegans Wake.

I like books that I want to keep reading past a prudent bedtime, the kind you look forward to opening up again, the kind that events bring to mind years later. I tried to read Ullyses once. It wasnt one of those kinds of books. Not quite the vertigo I got from Sartres Being and Nothingness but Im very suspicious of people who claim to have found that book "marvelous" or "deeply thought provoking". The only thought it provoked in me is can I get my 19.95 back.
    [​IMG]

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

Wilkes is by inlarge a store for men that have more money than sense. Don't get me wrong, they have some nice things occasionally, but by in large it's floor after floor of patterns and colors even my grandpa wouldn't wear and shirts and jackets that fit like tents.

Although I've only visited WB once, I would disagree. Their John Lobb shoes were stunning and I tried on a green/navy melange Brioni jacket in a Euro 50L that fit like a dream and looked very sharp. Unfortunately, I had just dropped a bundle on 3 jackets.

The salesmen were true gentlemen and not at all pushy. Though I was just window shopping, they let me try on several pairs of shoes and the jacket.

15. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Well, by inlarge (to coin a term), this is just silly. A decent provocation would be put forward with a great deal more wit.