1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wilkes Bashford's cuffs.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Oct 2, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

[​IMG] Just look at those cuffs; I can't imagine he would let his suits be tailored like that.

2. LabelKing

I find it shocking. I am more shocked by this than I am by the shootings.

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

It is rather suprising.

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Sloppy. The jacket is also too long.

5. LabelKing

This reflects rather poorly on the man himself as well as his ethos of dressing well.

6. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

Well, it gets worse than this (and LK has mercifully omitted a shot of the legs where a sad pinstripe pool is forming). This picture originally appeared in the SF magazine 7X7. We always have a copy because my wife does some consulting for them and I noticed the picture of Wilkes Bashford right away. The real kicker is among the captions. In response to the question, What's your fashion pet peeve? WB answers: "People who wear clothes that don't fit. Not enough people look at themselves in the mirror before they go out in the morning." Et tu? And then at the end: "...I like clothes to be as fitted as the physique can handle." Good advice, as long as you're not practicing what you preach. Oh, and the suit is (quite fittingly!) a Brioni.
    But let's not be too harsh. I'm sure this is not WB's own suit and he probably just put it on for the photo shoot. But it's careless all the same. There aren't even any sleeve buttons, so how much time would it have taken to pin the sleeves up properly?
    Anyway, he does offer this nice little anecdote about starting his business: "Most of the stores that were indigenous to San Francisco are gone--we're the only ones left, except for Gump's. Richard Gump was our very first customer. He bought a tie and fragrance. I think it was a gentleman's courtesy."

7. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

Someone like Wilkes Bashford ought to be able to put together interesting enough outfits that he needn't be dressed by some stylist ninnies for a photoshoot.

8. LabelKing

Is that really the case where a stylist would choose clothing for a shoot for someone who's supposed to known for their style? Why would someone commit to this, especially a person with a reputation to uphold? Indeed, it's ironic that despite those awful cuffs, and the length of the jacket, there is a certain waist suppression, and the bottom button appears to be unbuttoned. Incidentally, the magazine also showcases this male stylist who is supposed to be a paragon of style but who bought a supreme tackiness of a watch: an oversized, overpriced Franck Muller. http://www.7x7sf.com/features/fashion

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Stylish Dinosaur

Franck Muller is not the supreme tackiness, ROGER DUBUIS is the the supreme tackiness

10. LabelKing

Franck Muller is not the supreme tackiness, ROGER DUBUIS is the the supreme tackiness
    They are the Holy Trinity: Franck Muller, Roger Dubuis, and God among them, Jacob the Jeweler.

11. drake

drake Senior Member

Wilkes Bashford (the store, never met the man) is meh at most; plus their constant dick sucking of Willie Brown is very grating.

12. rnoldh

rnoldh Stylish Dinosaur

Wilkes Bashford (the store, never met the man) is meh at most; plus their constant dick sucking of Willie Brown is very grating.

Clean it up! That's crass and not fair! I think Willie B. was/is quite satisfied with the Freebies(clothing, I mean[​IMG] )that he got from WB. I wonder what Willie did for WB?

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

14. LabelKing

Things fall apart.

15. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

??? Wilkes is an exceptional store.