• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wilkes Bashford's cuffs.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is rather suprising.

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
Sloppy. The jacket is also too long.

pejsek

Reaction score
Well, it gets worse than this (and LK has mercifully omitted a shot of the legs where a sad pinstripe pool is forming). This picture originally appeared in the SF magazine 7X7. We always have a copy because my wife does some consulting for them and I noticed the picture of Wilkes Bashford right away. The real kicker is among the captions. In response to the question, What's your fashion pet peeve? WB answers: "People who wear clothes that don't fit. Not enough people look at themselves in the mirror before they go out in the morning." Et tu? And then at the end: "...I like clothes to be as fitted as the physique can handle." Good advice, as long as you're not practicing what you preach. Oh, and the suit is (quite fittingly!) a Brioni.
But let's not be too harsh. I'm sure this is not WB's own suit and he probably just put it on for the photo shoot. But it's careless all the same. There aren't even any sleeve buttons, so how much time would it have taken to pin the sleeves up properly?
Anyway, he does offer this nice little anecdote about starting his business: "Most of the stores that were indigenous to San Francisco are gone--we're the only ones left, except for Gump's. Richard Gump was our very first customer. He bought a tie and fragrance. I think it was a gentleman's courtesy."

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone like Wilkes Bashford ought to be able to put together interesting enough outfits that he needn't be dressed by some stylist ninnies for a photoshoot.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that really the case where a stylist would choose clothing for a shoot for someone who's supposed to known for their style? Why would someone commit to this, especially a person with a reputation to uphold? Indeed, it's ironic that despite those awful cuffs, and the length of the jacket, there is a certain waist suppression, and the bottom button appears to be unbuttoned. Incidentally, the magazine also showcases this male stylist who is supposed to be a paragon of style but who bought a supreme tackiness of a watch: an oversized, overpriced Franck Muller. http://www.7x7sf.com/features/fashion

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Franck Muller is not the supreme tackiness, ROGER DUBUIS is the the supreme tackiness
They are the Holy Trinity: Franck Muller, Roger Dubuis, and God among them, Jacob the Jeweler.

drake

Reaction score
Wilkes Bashford (the store, never met the man) is meh at most; plus their constant dick sucking of Willie Brown is very grating.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
Wilkes Bashford (the store, never met the man) is meh at most; plus their constant dick sucking of Willie Brown is very grating.

Clean it up! That's crass and not fair! I think Willie B. was/is quite satisfied with the Freebies(clothing, I mean
)that he got from WB. I wonder what Willie did for WB?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wilkes Bashford (the store, never met the man) is meh at most
??? Wilkes is an exceptional store.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?