Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wilfred's Tailor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by new obsession, Jul 24, 2006.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Stylish Dinosaur

So, where would you go? I've got a suit needs altering! And I don't want it mest up...

I second this question.

2. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

Based on the NYC alterations tailor thread, I don't think we've come up with a definitive best choice. Peppino's is relatively inexpensive, but he doesn't always get it right. Wilfred's is more expensive, but his attention to detail isn't great.

3. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

Based on the NYC alterations tailor thread, I don't think we've come up with a definitive best choice. Peppino's is relatively inexpensive, but he doesn't always get it right. Wilfred's is more expensive, but his attention to detail isn't great.

Riiight. So, cheaper, but not entirely reliable, or more expensive, but not entirely reliable... Quite a set of choices.

I wonder why it is that certian professions--tailors and mechanics come to mind--seem to suffer from nontransparency and a certain quotient of dodginess...

4. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

Yeah, not good choices. Most of my jackets are made by Chan and I never worry about their ability to do alterations. It would be nice to have a similar option for RTW jackets.

5. aportnoy

aportnoy Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I ressurected this thread because I've just retrieved three Isaia suits, via Ben at Ehaberdasher, that Wilfrdo's tailored for me. I could not be happier with the results. Sleeve and cuff lengths are perfect and the collars now lay flat as can be. Better yet, they finished all three in one week and they were ready when is howed up.

I highly recommend these guys.[​IMG]

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

But more expensive than Peppino...

7. aportnoy

But more expensive than Peppino...

True. Not cheap, about $140/suit with work on neck, sides, sleeves, cuffs and buttons for braces.

8. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Distinguished Member

Andrew, have you tried Bhambi? I think they're the best with price to match. But their hand-stitched button hole is very reasonably priced at $10/hole, even Borrelli recommends them.

9. aportnoy

Andrew, have you tried Bhambi? I think they're the best with price to match. But their hand-stitched button hole is very reasonably priced at $10/hole, even Borrelli recommends them.

I haven't VR, but I will. Wilfredo's was very easy to get to from my office. Where is Bhambi located?

10. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Distinguished Member

I haven't VR, but I will. Wilfredo's was very easy to get to from my office. Where is Bhambi located?

Right next to Borrelli closer to 5th Ave. in an old office building.

11. aportnoy

Right next to Borrelli closer to 5th Ave. in an old office building.

About equidistant from my office as Wilfredo's, just the opposite direction. Thanks, I'll have to give them a try next.

12. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I've tried all three. Wilfreds is undoubtedly best, with Bhambi second (take price into consideration and they are third) and Peppino's second. I base my finding on having all three do similar jacket work for me. Peppino can be sloppy and Bhambi has good attention to detail but the price is very high (someone forgot to tell them that they are NOT Borrelli, they are just recommended by them) and everytime I was there they attempted to sell me on their shirt/suit offerings. Also, if you happen to be there for alterations and a suit customer walks in after you, expect to be asked to wait until after the suit guy.

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

I've tried all three. Wilfreds is undoubtedly best, with Bhambi second (take price into consideration and they are third) and Peppino's second. I base my finding on having all three do similar jacket work for me. Peppino can be sloppy and Bhambi has good attention to detail but the price is very high (someone forgot to tell them that they are NOT Borrelli, they are just recommended by them) and everytime I was there they attempted to sell me on their shirt/suit offerings. Also, if you happen to be there for alterations and a suit customer walks in after you, expect to be asked to wait until after the suit guy.
    I think Bhambi's is a clear third of those three. I used to have all my work done by them until I was turned on to Peppino.

First, Bhambi's is much more expensive than Peppino. When I have had a number of pants done by them, it was $20 to hem and $20 to pinch the waist in a little. That's too much IMO.
    Second, they do try to sell you on their MTM/bespoke offerings which, though they may be ok construction, do nothing for me in terms of styling. The stuff on the manequins looks like it's from 1986.
    Third, I took them a great Paul Stuart suit and they did overlapping cuff buttons without my asking and then said, "Oh, I thought it was a Zegna." That's not satisfactory.

14. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

Don't forget the checkout bonus at Wilfred's! [​IMG]

15. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

I've tried Wilfred and Cardelino, and for the moment I'm sticking with Cardelino on attitude and price. Brought another jacket into Cardelino for sleeve-shortening this week.