1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wildsmith shoe brand resurrected

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bengal-stripe, Jun 22, 2013.

1. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

Can anyone comment on fit of Wildsmith? Looking specifically at the Bloomsbury loafer. Reference in relation to Edward Green would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

(please specify lasts when applicable and whether you are talking about loafers or laceups).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  2. Goodman

Goodman Well-Known Member

I am a US 10D - So my EG's are 9.5/10 (82 last) and My Bloomsbury loafers are a 9E. Really like them fWIW.

3. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Well-Known Member

I only own the oxford Sloane, in which I wear UK10 in standard width. In EG I have UK10 F-width (wide) in almost all lasts.

And just as Goodman, I'm very pleased with the shoes!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

...here's the thing: does anything separate Wildsmith shoes from Alfred Sargent pairs apart from designs? They're made in the same factory and by the same people, after all.

5. j ingevaldsson

Yes, apart from models and own lasts, Wildsmith don't use Bakers oak bark tanned soles but cheaper chestnut tanned ones (still good though) and the waist is less beveled than on AS (but still as narrow). When it comes to the quality of the upper leather it's hard for me to judge by just my single pair, but it seems to be more or less on pair with AS exclusive. AS Handgrade is in another league here, and the sole work on those is also more refined.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I'm still in the market for a wholecut. I missed picking a pair up before when they had a sale. My preference is EG since their lasts fit me best but it's hard to justify their price for a pair of black shoes (I personally think the upcharge is worth it due to burnishing work, which does not readily show in black).

If they have a winter discount, I will probably try a pair to see how their lasts fit me. I have always likd AS' work, especially when Chay was with them, so I am optimistic about Wildsmith.

7. j ingevaldsson

Personally I think it's a shame that they have the spacing between every other pair of eyelet on the wholecut, otherwise it looks really sweet.

Actually Chay Cooper isn't working with the Wildsmith brand anymore. He was offered a good job at Crockett & Jones that he couldn't say no to, so he's working for them now. A shame for Wildsmith obviously, though James and Ian (the Cad & the Dandy folks who worked with Chay in the revival of the Wildsmith brand) will continue to work with it, the future will tell how Wildsmith will evolve now. I hope well, though Chay is definitely a big loss.

BTW, if you use the discount code SHOEGAZING you get a 10% discount in Wildsmith. They don't advertise on my blog anymore, but I was told that the discount code still work.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. SuitedDx

Thanks for the update!

Wow, it must have been an impressive offer since the revival was a big step for Chay... Big gain for C&J but definitely a speedbump for Wildsmith (and previously AS).

Thanks for the code! Ironically, it's the spacing that makes it interesting for me. there are a few things you can do with a wholecut to set it apart and I thought it was an interesting style. If the leather uppers are similar to that of AS, then it would be worth the risk!

9. vriche

vriche Well-Known Member

@j ingevaldsson How's the instep on the Sloane?

10. j ingevaldsson

Hehe yeah, good for the manufacturers that taste is personal :)

I'd say it's fairly standard, nor high or low.

11. vriche

vriche Well-Known Member

@j ingevaldsson Thank you!

12. jjviegas

jjviegas Member

I'm sorry to revive this 'old' thread but I guess I'd post here instead of creating a new one.

Yesterday I received my Piccadillys Fox Suede Wildsmith oxfords, and so far I couldn't be more happy with them, at least considering their price range. Very good finishing, compared to Carminas, lovelly last and suede.

Let me post some pics I made yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. patliean1

patliean1 Well-Known Member

Wow, those look awesome. I love the shape of that last. Congrats

14. jjviegas

jjviegas Member

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. SuitedDx

So I'm still on the fence if I should spend more (G&G range) or a moderately priced shoe for a black wholecut. It will probably not be worn as much as my brown/burgundy shoes so I'm hesitating to go close to $1K.

Any wear pics of their Widsmiths? I really would like to see how the leather uppers are doing... Thanks!

16. Macs

Macs Well-Known Member

Both my pairs (suede Brunswick oxford and George chukka) are doing very well with more than one year of quite intensive use (more than once a week, especially the chukkas)

17. j ingevaldsson

I'm pleased with mine. Here they are after some use, not that often, but maybe 20-25 wears or something:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. SuitedDx

Do you have pics of them recently by chance?

J, those have aged nicely... Might be worth a try. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  19. Macs

Macs Well-Known Member

Will definitely snap a couple pics in the coming days.

20. Macs

Macs Well-Known Member

Here are the pics!
    Please forgive the unpolished state [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.