1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wildsmith shoe brand resurrected

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bengal-stripe, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Wildsmith

Wildsmith Well-Known Member

Perhaps if you took time to read my previous comments on this thread you'd know you were talking out of the wrong part of your body...

Plus M. Wildsmith & Sons was founded in 1847.......not 'Wildsmith'.......where is the continuity....

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  2. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

If there was still doubt re the maker: style name/size cutout in the lining, as well as other details point to AS.

3. TimH

TimH Senior member

Whatever mistakes, injustices or such like have occurred , I think one can only look forward and as a 'Wildsmith' you have all the necessary pedigree if you can make footwear which counts for much more perhaps.

Remember 'out of every problem comes an opportunity'

1 person likes this.
  4. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

I have plodded through every one of your whiny comments on this thread. As per your own admission, you have had no involvement with the business, but now, all of a sudden, you feel grief, disappointment, and disgust at the way a sale has happened. Huh? - what am I missing here?

When your young children, sitting on your knee, ask the inevitable follow-up question, "But, Daddy - what did you do to stop these bastards from stealing our company?" - you can proudly reply, "I went and whined on an internet forum, sonny!"

This whole matter of the date of incorporation is a bit of nonsense. It is common practice that the acquirer gets to use all the trademarks and elements of the acquired entity. When Blancpain or A. Lange & Sohne were resurrected a few years ago, despite them being defunct for decades, the original dates of incorporation from the 18th / 19th centuries were used. There is nothing unusual in that. It's a bit disingenuous, but the entire luxury products industry is guilty of your charge.

What I find most amusing about this whole episode is how you sniff and slander a couple of entrepreneurs who are making a concentrated effort to revive a great old brand. Rather than focusing on how they're rebuilding something from scratch, you have narrowed in on your own petty insecurities.

1 person likes this.
  5. TimH

TimH Senior member

Looks like this is developing into another typical 'time to leave ' thread - bye bye.

6. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Have the royalty cheques from The Hardy Boys not been forthcoming?

7. TimH

TimH Senior member

No more the lack of Nancy Drew really :D

8. Wildsmith

Wildsmith Well-Known Member

What are you missing? A sense of good old English pride, that's what! No attempt was made to keep a family run business off at least 166 years standing within the family. I'm sure, unless you have been in the same situation you couldn't possibly understand. Wildsmith men have put love, sweat and *sole into that business and ended their days on the shop floor keeping it going for the upcoming generations. I was named after the founder with the view that my future would be as six generations before me was. That aside, there are plenty of other family members that could have been considered when he who shall not be named decided to sell out....

Just because other brands have previously done the same does not mean that I have to like it or agree with it.
    What right do I have to moan? "By divine right if I have to!"

So stick that in your American pipe and smoke it!

9. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

This is getting sadder & sadder with each post. The highlighted text sums it up for me for what it's worth.
    Wish you the best mr. Wildsmith . . . .

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  10. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Jesus, give it a rest. This is getting pathetic.

11. meister

meister Senior member

This.

12. e8487

e8487 Member

For an outsider, this is a fascinating story about confrontation among English Tradition and Pride and English Pragmatism and Business savvy.

13. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

Fiddler is on fire in this thread

14. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I agree. The way I look at it - Mr Wildsmith who sold the company - so that it may grow and keep the name going. Its like giving it a chance to survive rather than letting it die. So yeah I wish all the best to the new owners and hope them success.

15. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Wildsmith, would you consider buying the Ilcea tannery so you can start your new, old line again?

16. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's not strictly true. The company did die, closed down and was dissolved some ten years ago.

Now Mr John Wildsmith has done a licensing deal for a new company (established 2012) to use the 'Wildsmith' name.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. wurger

wurger Senior member

The new site is full functional and some nice designs, at a decent price point and made by Alfred sargent.

http://www.wildsmith.com/

18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Shoes look good and the CAtD team will, no doubt, bring the brand great success. Well done to them!

19. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

There is no need for caustic posts like this. Family businesses are different as some members attach themselves and identify with the company strongly. Heckling online won't help Mr Wildsmith to accept the loss and move past it.

1 person likes this.
  20. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

+

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013