• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WiFi booster?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So— I have a wireless router that works OK, but doesn’t reach to the second floor or out to the guest house. Any

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So— I have a wireless router that works OK, but doesn’t reach to the second floor or out to the guest house. Any
1st best option is to run UTP cabling there and set up two extra access points. Any will do but often used brands are ubiquiti or TP-link. Would require someone to install it if you’re not into networking lingo.
2nd best option would be powerline WiFi mesh, something like this.
Other 2nd best would be to use a mesh kit that employs a wireless backhaul. Something like this:
The last one has plenty of alternatives and most can be configured through an app. How far out is the guest house?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks pretty trouble free, the second/best option. I am aiming for no installations beyond plugging in. Can one get more than one to extend in both directions?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The last one has plenty of alternatives and most can be configured through an app. How far out is the guest house?
The whole house and lot are fairly small. Barn/guest house is maybe 15/20 feet away from the kitchen.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty trouble free, the second/best option. I am aiming for no installations beyond plugging in. Can one get more than one to extend in both directions?
Most kits can, and depending on what you have now some of the Higher end kits would already be a massive improvement. Which means you wouldn’t need that many new points. And just in case you’re talking about antennas, it’s mostly omnidirectional these days.

something like the TP-link deco would work fine in your case I think. They come in three with one wired up to you current router.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. Have ordered a set.

aragon765

Reaction score
Day late, dollar short, but I use a Deco system with similarly placed rooms/buildings (external garage) and it works great...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's