• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wife bought some speakers and now I need to figure out what else to get

ennui

Reaction score
She came home with a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grands and a Maestro Grand center channel speaker as well. I don't know jack about audio and am humbly asking for opinions on what else I should get to pair with these speakers.

She bought these mainly to listen to classical music.

Our living room is definitely not ideal for this though, as it's open to the kitchen. I do have a back room for the in-laws that is rectangular and closed off from the rest of the house, but political considerations may prevent me from moving the setup there.

I only have some 20-year-old Pioneer equipment from my father-in-law. We hooked it up and it sounded terrible, probably at least partially due to the speaker wire.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are nice speakers! If you suspect it's your wires, then they're either broken or corroded. A quick check before you run off to the hardware store for more wire: are the ends shiny, and do you see any breaks or otherwise bad things on the wire?

I'd get cheap hardware store wire first, and see how the whole thing sounds. After that you'll have a better idea of what to change or upgrade: incremental is the key.

--Andre

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a nice integrated amp on Audiogon, and get rid of that center channel
Your current one in a POS. Something like a moderately priced Arcam/Musical Fidelity should work without breaking the bank.
Also, get some decent inexpensive speaker cables

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The center channel is pretty much useless for the purist 2-channel listening, unless you plan to use an AV receiver with say, your TV set. The speakers are great, but you'll never hear what they are capable of unless you upgrade your amp and speaker cables

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Nice speakers, a friend has a pair.

I would look at tube gear. They really like tube gear. PrimaLuna is a good brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics