• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

wife bought some speakers and now I need to figure out what else to get

ennui

Reaction score
She came home with a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grands and a Maestro Grand center channel speaker as well. I don't know jack about audio and am humbly asking for opinions on what else I should get to pair with these speakers.

She bought these mainly to listen to classical music.

Our living room is definitely not ideal for this though, as it's open to the kitchen. I do have a back room for the in-laws that is rectangular and closed off from the rest of the house, but political considerations may prevent me from moving the setup there.

I only have some 20-year-old Pioneer equipment from my father-in-law. We hooked it up and it sounded terrible, probably at least partially due to the speaker wire.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are nice speakers! If you suspect it's your wires, then they're either broken or corroded. A quick check before you run off to the hardware store for more wire: are the ends shiny, and do you see any breaks or otherwise bad things on the wire?

I'd get cheap hardware store wire first, and see how the whole thing sounds. After that you'll have a better idea of what to change or upgrade: incremental is the key.

--Andre

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a nice integrated amp on Audiogon, and get rid of that center channel
Your current one in a POS. Something like a moderately priced Arcam/Musical Fidelity should work without breaking the bank.
Also, get some decent inexpensive speaker cables

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The center channel is pretty much useless for the purist 2-channel listening, unless you plan to use an AV receiver with say, your TV set. The speakers are great, but you'll never hear what they are capable of unless you upgrade your amp and speaker cables

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Nice speakers, a friend has a pair.

I would look at tube gear. They really like tube gear. PrimaLuna is a good brand.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 84 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 80 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 42 8.5%