Wiener Moderne style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Othenor, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Othenor

Othenor Member

Hello Styleforum,
    I'm trying to identify some styles of ties, bowties and collars from an era I believe to be the Wiener Moderne in Austria. The pictures come from two movies I saw recently, Effi Briest (2009) by Hermine Huntgeburth and A Dangerous Method by David Cronenberg.

The tie : it seems to be a very broad one with a pin in its center.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bowtie : I don't know if it really is one, but it's the one Sigmund Freud wears on all of his portraits, it gives him a diamon shape on his chest that I really like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for taking some time to respond, I appreciate it greatly.

PS. And sorry if my english feels somewhat "heavy".

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

The tie is called a Plastron (in German) and is the correct accessory for a frock coat "Gehrock ", As the frock coat has disappeared after WW I, so has the Plastron. Nowadays it only used as part of a wedding outfit or for horse riding,

http://www.meinsmoking.de/dresscode/plastron

No idea how that Freud thing is called.

What makes you think Effie Briest (one of the greatest German novels) has anything to do with Austria or Vienna? The characters, the places (Baltic Sea and Berlin) and the author Theodor Fontane (1819 - 1898) are as Prussian as the come. An earlier generation of the Briest family even took part in battle of Fehrbellin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fehrbellin

3. Othenor

Othenor Member

Thank you very much !

Whoops, I got confused... Actually I'm studying the evolution of mentalities during Freud's era in German so as a part of this course we took a look at the Wiener Moderne and Effi Briest, and I mixed them together.