• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Width of AE Chester?

DShareef

Reaction score
Gents,

I just won an ebay auction for a used pair of Chesters. I typically wear a 13D and these are narrow. My question is as follows: what would be the difference in width between the medium width and the narrow width in a sized 13? 1/4"? I figured, for $17 all in, it was worth a shot.

Cheers,

D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chester is on the last with the widest toebox, so if your width issues come from the toebox region, you should be fine.

The difference is much less than 1/4th, but it is measured around the girth. I think it is something like 1/6th an inch per letter width of girth around the instep.

I can usually wear either a D or an E, and can theoretically get my foot into a C (only tried it once, it was just a tad too snug).

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This doesn't sound right at all! The #3 last of the Chester is A-E's widest. I, too, am a 13D (probably a "narrow D"--the #5 last is just fine in D width for me), but the Chester (or any of A-E shoe on the #3 last) is too wide for me in my normal width.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
This doesn't sound right at all! The #3 last of the Chester is A-E's widest. I, too, am a 13D (probably a "narrow D"--the #5 last is just fine in D width for me), but the Chester (or any of A-E shoe on the #3 last) is too wide for me in my normal width.

?

I'm not sure what you think is wrong.

The guy normally wears a D width, and got a C width this time for the Chester. It sounds like it might work, since both you and I indicated that the chester is on the widest last. (iirc, AE's old spec sheet use to suggest going down a letter width on that last)

My message said that the chester was on the widest last, as you said, and most of it was about how much difference there is between each letter shift (1/6 in girth, i think. Maybe 1/3?. It's very small). I can squeeze into the C, and comfortably wear the D and the E.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
?

I'm not sure what you think is wrong.

The guy normally wears a D width, and got a C width this time for the Chester. It sounds like it might work, since both you and I indicated that the chester is on the widest last. (iirc, AE's old spec sheet use to suggest going down a letter width on that last)

My message said that the chester was on the widest last, as you said, and most of it was about how much difference there is between each letter shift (1/6 in girth, i think. Maybe 1/3?. It's very small). I can squeeze into the C, and comfortably wear the D and the E.

Oh, I didn't go to the link and see that he had bought C width. I just thought he had bought them in his normal D width and found them too narrow. My mistake.

DShareef

Reaction score
That's good news. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads