Wide vs Skinny Lapel

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Superfluous, Jul 19, 2011.

Skinny or Wide Lapels

1. Skinny Lapels

50 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. Wide Lapels

105 vote(s)
    63.3%
  3. No Lapels

11 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

It seems the OP was trying to have some fun, pitting wide vs. narrow. That said, a question for you. Curious, your widest tie and widest jacket lapels, in inches, would be? and your height?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. promark809

promark809 Active Member

I tried on a wide lapel blazer once, and it looked a little off for me since I'm more of an athletic build and have a bigger chest. I think having a thinner lapel helps balance things out.

3. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Only if you don't mind looking silly. ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

This is an interesting question - so I'll bite!

I'm 5'-8", 155lb, about 38-39" chest and have wide shoulders for my size. The widest lapel and tie that I am currently wearing are about 3-1/4". I have a few 'currently stylish' suits with 2" lapels and thus 2" ties. But when buying 'currently stylish' clothes I tend to only buy a few and to buy medium to lower priced goods. These I wear as 'beaters' for everyday use as they will be 'out of style' soon enough and by that time will be worn out.

When buying for the long haul (high quality for meetings and client contact days) I always stick with the 'perfect' proportion for me of 3" to 3-1/4" inches.

Now that I am older and thus heavier than I've ever been I keep meaning to try on some double breasted jackets w/ peaked lapels - as for many years I was just to small to make them look good. But wonder now if I might not be able to pull it off better.

I would be VERY interested in hearing some others respond with their basic measurements as well as the widths they prefer.

5. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Ahh, well that explains the failure of brands like Corneliani and Tom Ford. And moreover, the widespread distaste for H. Hunstman's house cut.

If all wearers of these makers, and many more, look 'silly', then I for one don't mind being amongst them in the least.

6. calogero

calogero Well-Known Member

That fabric is hideous! I really cannot fathom how some of you find abominations such as the above even mildly aesthetically pleasing. It looks like something my grandpa would have worn. Vomit.

7. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Quote:
    Exactly!
    :)

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

That Chester Barrie rules!

I've been going 3.75 on my latest stuff. I like that size for my build. Its not overly large but large enough for me to notice thats its not the "standard". I feel I'm too "v-shaped" to look good in skinny lapels. That tends to look good on skinny people.

9. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I'm a 36S person, and I just weighed myself at 137lbs, so I assume I will go for skinny. I do have one suit I thrifted that has a lapel big enough for those 3.75 or 4" ties I collected in the 1990s, but the last decade has been good for a person of my frame. I try to stick to 3" now for conservative but for a time around the start of the recession, I didn't hesitate wearing 2.75" or 2.5" ties even to work (my field is in insurance).

Because skinny lapel suits are so pervasive, I find a lot of guys wear it in the financial district in Toronto. Even the older gents are sporting skinnier (3" or 3.25") ties. But I'm not sure if that's because people have developed a taste or they just buy it because it's the most readily available thing in the store.

10. Icarus

Icarus Senior member

Hmmm.....

35 % (narrow)

to

61% (wide)

I believe that's about the same percentage (35%) of U.S. and Russian voters who in 2009 said they would like to see back at the helm Bush and Stalin, respectively.

Just something to think about.

11. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

^ Is it just me or has their been a sudden influx of idiots like this since the changeover to the new-style forum?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I wanna say more fashionistas are drawn here now than before, but thats not necessarily a bad thing...different strokes I say. It also wouldn't surprise me to find out we're reading more into it than there actually is there.

13. academe

academe Senior member

There have always been n00bs on the forum who pop in and out to make the occasional uneducated and rude remark; probably best to ignore them as they contribute next to nothing and certainly aren't worth waisting breath on.

14. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

[​IMG]

15. effang

effang Senior member

What if i am short and stocky? Wide or narrow?