Wide vs Skinny Lapel

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Superfluous, Jul 19, 2011.

Skinny or Wide Lapels

1. Skinny Lapels

50 vote(s)
    29.9%
  2. Wide Lapels

105 vote(s)
    62.9%
  3. No Lapels

12 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Assuming you couldn't have a standard width lapel on a suit/sport coat, would you rather go with a skinny or a wide lapel?

Personally, I hate skinny lapels and kinda like wide lapels, thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

2. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

uhm, wide. I may have said narrow about 5 years ago though.

3. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Wide is certainly the up and coming trend. If for no reason than nearly everybody now owns a skinny lapel suit and the fashion industry must create demand for new garments. Thus lapels will be widening without fail in the next few years - mark my words.

Other than that it is largely a matter of what is right for your particular build/body. A tall thin man, or a stocky built man tends to look good in very wide lapels. Shorter men of normal to slighter build tend to look better with smaller lapels. (In general)

I personally like a really wide (like 1940's wide) FU lapel most - but don't wear them as I'm not a big guy.

In any case - the current skinny lapel look is doomed as all style trends are doomed from the moment they begin - that is their very nature.

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Well, it's interesting: in my pre-SF days (six months ago; I'm a newb) I would've answered this question according to current fashions. Now I'm inclined to think about what best suits my particular body. I'm a skinny guy (36 jacket), medium height, but I've got a big head, so a little collar and skinny lapels just make me look even more like a chupa chup (sorry, Australian reference?). I need bigger shirt collars and wider lapels to balance out that area of my body.

Like the last poster said: fashions will change. Find out what suits you and stick to it in order to win.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

If this question was asked in 2007 up until 2009, then I would have answered narrow. Now my answer is wide.

6. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

This; it's really about the right proportions.

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

I'd prefer to go wide if I can't have 'just right.'

I have one great old Chester Barrie coat from way back in the 70s ... and the lapel is far too wide. That said, the cloth and colorway are so outstanding that I wear it anyway as a 'knock around' coat.

[​IMG]

8. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I dunno where all these skinny lapel suits are being worn but I certainly haven't seen many/any in real life.

I'm aware of the whole Mad Men is the shit vs. Mad Men is shit debate but it's completely passed me by.

Anyway I've always loved the sixties mod style, and I lived through those hideous wingspan monstrosities of the seventies. Tom Ford can kiss my arse, I prefer skinny!

9. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

same place were skinny ties are born ... :D

10. yoshii

yoshii Senior member

hahaha i was wondering when his name would be brought up. His lapels look ridiculously wide!
    i think i'd still lean more towards a skinnier lapel as i feel it suits me better (though not extremely skinny, as it looks stupid...imo).

11. apolishedman

apolishedman Active Member

i'm a smaller guy, so i prefer narrower (not super skinny). i think larger lapels can look great on some men though.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Give me skinny over wide any day. Trend of no trend, narrow looks more elegant. Wide is clownish. :hide:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

13. cc3peat

cc3peat Well-Known Member

^agreed. Extremely skinny can look silly but extremely wide lapels always look ridiculous. But in general it really applies to the person's body type and proportions, as stated earlier.

14. PMac

PMac Well-Known Member

Assuming we are not talking extremes here, I would go with a wider lapel over a skinny lapel.

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's a tough one. I used to loathe wide lapels, but now I really like them (well, not too wide, but wider than I used to like). But, the rest of the jacket shape has to work with it. Everything in balance. Some things from the 70s look way out of proportion.

I guess if I "had" to choose, I'd opt for too narrow than too wide.

That fabric is sexy.