• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wide sneakers that are comfortable for date night

elkram_b

Reaction score
Looking for a basic pair of shoes for date night or casual evening to wear with pants or shorts and a basic t-shirt or polo. White and black pairs with either white bottom or gum. These seem to be very difficult to find. My size is usually a 10 2E.

Anyone have any ideas as to where I could find a pair?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a basic pair of shoes for date night or casual evening to wear with pants or shorts and a basic t-shirt or polo. White and black pairs with either white bottom or gum. These seem to be very difficult to find. My size is usually a 10 2E.

Wal-Mart? New balance?

Jokes aside: Allen Edmonds makes shoes in lots of sizes.

elkram_b

Reaction score
Wow those are a pretty penny! I'm looking to keep it under $100 if I could

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please tell me this isn’t a first date.

Not sure I follow this.

Suppose the OP is 18 and looking for something very casual for a first date?

Or the OP is 35 and the woman/man said..let's go somewhere very casual?

AE's don't warrant either situation.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd get better response in the street wear section as there is no good quality sneaker in the <100 dollar range.

I see people wear those crappy knit garbage sneakers all the time from Walmart and they seem popular?

rjc149

Reaction score
I have 3E feet and find that only New Balance or similar work for me. The Stan Smith/Converse/Vans clones “fashion sneakers” are for narrower feet only. That rubber wall around the toe box just isn’t a design feature that’s friendly to wide feet.

Have you looked into Allbirds? Pricey for sneakers and I’ve read of durability issues, but I think they’d look nice for casual date night.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He makes extremely affordable shoes that look somewhat decent.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All birds will not be very wide - per their customer service staff - I have not worn them - but wanted to...

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little above your price point but:

I have a pair in my normal size 8 and consider them roomy.

rjc149

Reaction score
All birds will not be very wide - per their customer service staff - I have not worn them - but wanted to...
Maybe not (I haven’t worn them) but the upper is made of wool, and it lacks any sort of wall around the footbed which leads me to believe that wide feet can comfortably spread and stretch the upper without rubbing or friction.

Sneakers are disposable footwear so I try not to spend more than $80 per pair, and I make them last at least a year before replacing them. I’ve read a lot of Reddit threads claiming that Allbirds poop out after a few months of city wear, which makes me leery of them at $100.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe I should take a chance...

With leather shoes I don't count on stretching but maybe wool will stretch enough...?

rjc149

Reaction score
Hmm, maybe I should take a chance...

With leather shoes I don't count on stretching but maybe wool will stretch enough...?
Leather shoes will stretch some, and will conform to your feet over time… they also don’t have that footbed wall that basically blocks the spreading of your feet as you walk. My Allen Edmond oxfords are more comfortable for me than something like Vans or Converse sneakers because they allow my feet to spread over the footbed.

The issue with Allbirds I’ve read is that they stretch a bit too much and lose their structure, which makes sense since wool is pretty pliable. My brother and girlfriend both swear by their comfort however, and each have replaced them with another pair, so they are worth a shot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads