• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why you dress the way you do, buy what you buy, like what you like, et cetera?

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
I think it was a slow progression, all basically a very "American" look, but changed over the years, from Abercrombie in high school to Banana in college to J crew after and now, its still J Crew while incorporating some higher end items. I like to be comfortable and also want classic pieces, things that will last me a long time and aren't totally over the top, but at the same time, stand out from the pack a little.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
I used to try to dress like a WASPy hipster. I realized that wouldn't work because it's just a bad idea, I'm not a WASP, and I'm hopefully not a hipster.

This is identical to me, at the start. I liked prep because it had all those connontations of middle class life, which my very, very working class backgrounds conflict with. This started when I first started working and moved out.

Originally Posted by APK
I spent a couple years going through the striped polo/AE jeans phase most guys seem to indulge in at one point or another. I made a shift from that to the Hypebeast idea of streetwear a couple years ago.

I probably sunk a grand or so into that phase. From that stockpile, I probably have four or five things I ever wear now with any regularity.

I used to listen to alot of punk, including HC and liked an 'aggressive edge' ie Diesel.

I signed up for Honestforum.

Que Douche.

Originally Posted by APK
The SF aesthetic did nothing for me when I first joined here. It wasn't until a couple months passed that I started frequenting the forum more. As time passed, I became more familiar with the SF-approved brands. I didn't fully hop on the bandwagon, but my Hypebeast-influenced wardrobe was seeming less and less appealing to me. Not just for design, but fit, as well.

I can't remember how I came to SF. I was sick of alot of things in my life, the outward expression of myself for one. SF for me was this massive transformation that occured just as I was having some major life events happening. I bought up heaps of stuff, mostly suits, pants and shoes that I later sold off.

I realised that I had to take my time, and pick pieces out that all worked together. I read, saved pictures, refreshed blogs daily and threw myself into learning. I bought books, learnt about fit, colours, construction and quality. I searched alot and focused on the colours, textures and designers I really loved. What was important to me, I found, was to be inspired by my own individuality. I hated the collective, I hated the group - I found the idea of collectism abhorent (Libertarian Here) and found the idea of control and Government equally so.

Originally Posted by stylesmurf
Alot of people talk about wanting to create a certain type of 'look.' I personally like picking out pieces that appeal to me that aren't loud and fit well, and was made with good construction and fabrics.

My 'look' wasn't created - it's just what I naturely gravite towards. Alot of people say "OMFG how can you wear Jil / Raf / RO runway?" Incorporating singular pieces into your aesthetic is part of the challange - choose for yourself and not for the artist, incorporate ideas of fit into your own structure and make and break your own silhouette.

Originally Posted by Big Punisher
I get inspiration and ideas mainly from runway shows, occasionally movies. No one IRL sadly, in fact they get ideas from me haha. Not so much music as I mainly listen to rap, and 99% of them dress horribly.

I honestly don't give a **** if people don't like the way I dress. I think of it as a prescreening device for girls if they don't like the way I look, we probably wouldn't get along.

If you wear the clothes, instead of them wearing you, this will never happen. I'm also pretty loud IRL, so this doesn't happen.

Originally Posted by jet
Gone through many phases and made lots of mistakes which I learned from so I don't make them anymore. The clothes I buy are all me and I never settle.

This is were I am too.

I buy what I want, and don't really care about the price. If I can't afford exactly what I want, I don't buy.

I now have a fairly sweet collection going, that is 100% awesome and doesn't compromise. I'll be done with my foundation in another six months or so, and can move on to just adding key pieces as I find them - and working on my professional wardrobe.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too many philosophical posts lately, just wear your clothes and be happy wearing them, gawd.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with analyzing fashion, just don't quit your day job, and if I was to read and care about every thread like this one in the past two weeks I'd be out of mine. Besides, it's almost all been said before in slightly different phrasing in the not too distant past.

MortyGras

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Nothing wrong with analyzing fashion, just don't quit your day job, and if I was to read and care about every thread like this one in the past two weeks I'd be out of mine. Besides, it's almost all been said before in slightly different phrasing in the not too distant past.

That's funny coming from you and all.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
My only rule is this. I try to buy items based on uniqueness, aesthetic merit, and quality. I don't care about a theme, only whether or not the item I'm looking at matches up with my perception of self. Who cares about grander themes, though I shy from things like work wear, ninja outfits, and faddishness.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MortyGras
That's funny coming from you and all.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still in transition, but this is where I stand.

Recently, I have emerged from my college style slumber. After lounging around in baggy, comfortable, and altogether atrociously lazy clothing, I decided to make a change. I like to look back on the days when I really cared about my appearance and the clothes I wore. The height of this was during my punk days. Back in high school, I didn't listen to the Blink182, but more the underground Street Punk of the 77 and 82 style. A lot of the bands and other punks were closely allied with the Skinheads, who had a similar style. In a way, I attempted to dress myself somewhere between Punk and Skin.

Now that I work in an office, I try and incorporate looks from the early Skins, Suedes, and early 60s mod. I like how they took the basic Ivy League look and mixed it with a more European flair. Since I can't afford many of the brands, I save for what I can. Otherwise, I look in thrift stores to find Brooks Bros. shirts I can have altered. I think my look probably comes off more as an Ivy or WASP-y look, but I'm trying to give myself a little more flair and swagger. Mostly slim shirts with a button-down collar, slim chinos with no break, and some brown cap-toes. Sometimes I'll wear a patterned jacket. I haven't quite gotten the look I want, but I find inspiration from guys like GetSmart, Pink Pantser, and Soul Stylist (on the rare occasion he posts).

Casually, I keep it closer to a pop-punk, Ramones-esque. T-shirt, slim jeans, Vans or Converse. If I'm going out, maybe a polo or button-down.

Dressing like this helps me remember the days of the subculture. It makes me feel like an individual (I know how paradoxical this can seem, dressing like a member of a group to feel like an individual). There is a sense of style to it all, there's a history, there's a culture. I can't explain it, and I'm sure most people take no notice, but at the moment it means a lot to me.

itsjustadrian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Too many philosophical posts lately, just wear your clothes and be happy wearing them, gawd.
I'm with you on this one.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Im not. Xeno´s just trying a new approch to avoid the flames. Nothing wrong with thinking through the "whys" if style is a personal interest.

reprehensible

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsjustadrian
I'm with you on this one.

So what else is there to talk about? Where to buy boat shoes?

Probably 90% of the threads here are amazingly dull. It doesn't hurt to try to stir up some kind of interesting discussion.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I want to look like gutter black tie so I wear black/white, DJs or black jackets coupled w. trashier pieces. That's my main look and it's inspired by homeless social parasites who mooch at cocktails and sleep at the luxury gym where they have a membership. I'm not talking "derelicte" here just in case you're too dumb to understand what I just wrote.

Good example (the movie sucks ass, the book is funny):
http://www.amazon.com/Morsures-laube...995935&sr=8-21

Diverging pieces come from various influences/ideas;
-childlike take on men's luxury (eccentric CdG, Junya, JCDC pieces, say a blazer but made of colourful sweatshirt material)
-Suits, I like 'em sometimes. I guess my influence would be styleforum although I don't do SF-approved brands.
-A few Americana well worn garments when I feel like slumming it (say EG or beatup APCs).

So no goth-ninja although I might own pieces from these labels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics