• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why We Get Fat

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I meant too many people act as though it's literally not possible to have a meal that isn't a plate of vegetables if you cut out precious bread.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not really that hard. Just the other night, eating at a hotel restaurant, I told them to not bring me any bread, and I asked for double vegetables and no potatoes please. Without picking on bread prior to your meal, I find you actually appreciate and enjoy your food exponentially more when it finally does arrive at the table.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a rough transition that isn't done overnight. Over the course of a couple years, I went from white bread to wheat bread to occasionally eating wheat bread to eating no bread.

There are times when I miss bread, but it's not like I NEVER eat it. I'll have pizza once a week and that may include some breadsticks on the side. When I do give in and have something that includes bread, I actually find the bread to be the least appealing aspect of the meal. I usually find it obstructs the food's flavor rather than enhancing it.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
It's a rough transition that isn't done overnight. Over the course of a couple years, I went from white bread to wheat bread to occasionally eating wheat bread to eating no bread. There are times when I miss bread, but it's not like I NEVER eat it. I'll have pizza once a week and that may include some breadsticks on the side. When I do give in and have something that includes bread, I actually find the bread to be the least appealing aspect of the meal. I usually find it obstructs the food's flavor rather than enhancing it.
Yes, it is the vehicle for flavor; a convenient packaging system. Same with pasta, oats, rice, etc., all of which taste rather bland and unappealing on their own.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The idea of not eating grains is pretty much only possible in the First World. Most of the world lives on rice, wheat, or cassava. "Give me my daily bread" is an age-old saying for a reason, that's how things worked until the modern age. Meat protein was a luxury.

There's a whole section in Guns, Germs, and Steel where he talks about the huge benefits certain cultures got some having grains with a higher protein content, since the vast majority of calories from all nascent civilizations came from grains.

Obviously we do live in the First World and have to deal with conditions here, but there's no more sense in basing a diet off cavemen than off Middle Age peasant farmers, or agricultural era Fertile Crescent diets or whatever. The human body isn't adapted to wretched excess. If eliminating whole families of foods allows you to avoid excess, awesome, but that's mostly a lifestyle issue.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
The idea of not eating grains is pretty much only possible in the First World. Most of the world lives on rice, wheat, or cassava. "Give me my daily bread" is an age-old saying for a reason, that's how things worked until the modern age. Meat protein was a luxury.

There's a whole section in Guns, Germs, and Steel where he talks about the huge benefits certain cultures got some having grains with a higher protein content, since the vast majority of calories from all nascent civilizations came from grains.

Obviously we do live in the First World and have to deal with conditions here, but there's no more sense in basing a diet off cavemen than off Middle Age peasant farmers, or agricultural era Fertile Crescent diets or whatever. The human body isn't adapted to wretched excess. If eliminating whole families of foods allows you to avoid excess, awesome, but that's mostly a lifestyle issue.

Figuring out how to cheaply feed people regardless of health does not make grains right for human consumption. Read up on leaky gut syndrome.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Great points. Diets like this are not sustainable over the world as a whole. Grains and rice are needed to help combat world hunger. Almost makes me want to bring up the whole related fallacy of the anti-GM movement, but I will resist.
laugh.gif

I think it's important to bring up the point, again, that the whole premise of the Paleo (caveman) diet is false. During the Paleolithic era they ate grains! Even if we ignore this fact and pretend they did not, then you still have other fallacies to combat. People were lean because they were starving the majority of time, not because of the types of food they ate. Life was harsh and food often hard to come by. They also had a life expectancy of around 30 years, compared to modern, processed grain eating, humans which is much longer.

The attitude that we should model our diets after our ancestors who lived during the Paleolithic era is absurd.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
Read up on leaky gut syndrome.

Quackery at its finest.....

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please show me a link to a study published in a peer-reviewed journal that meets even the minimum standards of statistical rigor. There's good reason why "leaky gut syndrome" is not recognized by evidence-based medicine.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
They also had a life expectancy of around 30 years, compared to modern, processed grain eating, humans which is much longer.
You have considered that a contributing factor in a lower life expectancy of our hunter gatherer ancestors could be due to the vicissitudes of living in nature, and the potentially fatal interactions with predators on a daily basis, not because they they weren't eating bowls of kashi granola each morning?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Assume you're talking about me. I don't like pseudoscience and misinformation, and this stuff gets repeated so often that being polite about it is difficult.

Obviously water is optimal. Who said otherwise?

i was talking about the person you responded to. shop whatever.

water > diet soda >>>>>>>>>> soda

nothing wrong with people who would rather drink diet soda than soda when they're in the mood for soda and there's very little evidence against diet soda

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics