• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why We Get Fat

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
If you want to talk about kidney stones (etc), fine, but throwing this "zomg no diet soda or you won't lose weight" stuff around is dumb.

I know that other guy did, but I never said nor believe that it has anything strictly to do with weight loss. I was simply challenging your assertion that "soda has the acidity of a tomato" so therefor it's "fine" or whatever with no volume considerations. People routinely drink 60 oz diets and I used to drink multiple a day. I have no clue how many tomatoes that would be but I would bet it's another irrational number.

Dr. Oz clip, pretty bad.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Let's put it this way. Once I eliminated the breads and other starches, the inches started to come off my stomach pretty easily. It became much easier to build the body I wanted once I stopped including bread and other grains in my meals. Doing so made me incorporate vegetables, good fats and more protein.

I didn't say everyone should eliminate all bread and grains from their diet. I actually mentioned in a post on this page that some bread here or there isn't an awful thing. But the benefits of grains are overstated and the pluses you get from them (i.e. fiber) are available in foods such as vegetables.

Originally Posted by deadly7
So, you failed at knowing how to build a well-rounded diet, but it's grains' fault and not yours?

Thanks for proving my point. Don't put your personal failures and suckage at knowing how to develop healthy meals on a food group.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How did I prove your point? By your logic, I'm still not eating a "well-rounded" diet because I've all but cut grains entirely out of my diet.

My "personal failure" was due in large part to eating too many carbs. Looking at my logs, it's clear that the vast majority of those carbs each day came from grains. I cut those out and my overall carb intake decreased significantly, as did my waist line. Magic.

Edit: I think it's going to vary from person to person with regards to how someone's body tolerates grains. I spent many years often feeling bloated and had digestive issues. Those issues pretty much disappeared once I stopped eating grains. Not everyone is like that, but after talking about it with other people who have also cut down or cut out the grains entirely, I'm definitely not alone here.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK

Edit: I think it's going to vary from person to person with regards to how someone's body tolerates grains. I spent many years often feeling bloated and had digestive issues. Those issues pretty much disappeared once I stopped eating grains. Not everyone is like that, but after talking about it with other people who have also cut down or cut out the grains entirely, I'm definitely not alone here.

Exactly. When I first cut grains, I dropped 10lbs in two weeks. My weight has remained consistent since.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I know that other guy did, but I never said nor believe that it has anything strictly to do with weight loss. I was simply challenging your assertion that "soda has the acidity of a tomato" so therefor it's "fine" or whatever with no volume considerations. People routinely drink 60 oz diets and I used to drink multiple a day. I have no clue how many tomatoes that would be but I would bet it's another irrational number.

Take my argument in context, I'm saying that acid is not some bogeyman. I'm using the tomato comparison to note that we eat lots of acidic stuff. The human body is pretty capable of dealing with acid. There's a bunch of really strong acid in our stomach, and it's buffered to prevent pH changes quite effectively. Adding a bit more really doesn't do much of anything. Soda's mostly water, so even drinking fairly vast amounts is not going to have any real effect on pH levels. Maybe if you slammed back a couple gallons in a sitting, but who does that? The effect over a day is going to be even more minimal.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
photo_nutrition_SN036.jpg
bacon.jpg
two awesome reasons to be fat.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tired of talking about diet soda. Just insert it down below.

Originally Posted by Gibonius
Humans aren't adapted to eating anything in the quantity most in the First World eat now, that's the whole point. Wretched excess is bad, be it grains or meat or whatever. Stuff your face and you'll get fat and sick. Different methods of face stuffing might result in different kinds of maladies, but none of it is good for you.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
They have also been shown to cause leptin resistance which will worsen the effects of metabolic syndrome.

They didn't show that it causes leptin resistance, they proposed the hypothesis that it does.

superbuddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
You get fat when you overeat and don't exercise. There, I saved you $15.

Yes, once our food intake increases and its more then the daily body requirements and we even don't to consume that food will cause the fatness.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Great points. Diets like this are not sustainable over the world as a whole. Grains and rice are needed to help combat world hunger. Almost makes me want to bring up the whole related fallacy of the anti-GM movement, but I will resist.
laugh.gif

I think it's important to bring up the point, again, that the whole premise of the Paleo (caveman) diet is false. During the Paleolithic era they ate grains! Even if we ignore this fact and pretend they did not, then you still have other fallacies to combat. People were lean because they were starving the majority of time, not because of the types of food they ate. Life was harsh and food often hard to come by. They also had a life expectancy of around 30 years, compared to modern, processed grain eating, humans which is much longer.

The attitude that we should model our diets after our ancestors who lived during the Paleolithic era is absurd.

i think most of the science behind paleo is quackery but i still eat what is close to a paleo diet (i eat some dairy) becuase it is much more nutritious. grains and sugar are the least nutritious foods per calorie.

i am fully aware that this is a first world privilage but so is driving a car and posting on an internet forum about bespoke clothes
smile.gif

Transcendental

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Opermann
It could also be named, Why We Get Sick...

We don't exercise enough
Everything at the supermarket is processed garbage
The average person thinks fast food is fine to eat
We're hooked on prescription meds

Anything else? I don't need a book to spell it out for me.

Exactly. If you needed a book to tell you why you get fat, you haven't learned enough. Skim through a human physiology/nutrition textbook at the library

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
i think most of the science behind paleo is quackery but i still eat what is close to a paleo diet (i eat some dairy) becuase it is much more nutritious. grains and sugar are the least nutritious foods per calorie. i am fully aware that this is a first world privilage but so is driving a car and posting on an internet forum about bespoke clothes
smile.gif

laugh.gif
Nice.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ate a grilled chicken caesar salad COVERED in dressing and a slice of pizza piled high avec veggies. I feel miserable about it.

George80

Reaction score
Errr.....at least you ate veggies? Dust yourself off and get back on it. Faint heart never won fair lady and other such irrelevant motivational quotes!
Two words: stomach staple.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads