• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why the line from pocket to waistband on pants?

Alfred001

Reaction score
I've been looking around for a pair of slim chinos and I think every pair I've seen (if not all of them) have that line that runs from the back pockets to the waistband.

If you don't know what I'm talking about you can see it here, it lines up with the side of the tag on the waistband (put the mouse pointer over the picture to zoom):

http://www.stuartslondon.com/trouse...0_1336506903_dcd6c8dcff852a09e92d7b04223aa331

Is this something that is for some reason necessary for the cut of slim pants, like darts on a jacket? I don't see why it would be. Is this just an ornamentation? I find it unsightly but it seems impossible to find a pair of pants without that.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thats a dart, the point is at the pocket the wide part is at the waistband.
thats what a dart looks like from the outside after it is sewn.
since your waist is smaller than your seat the dart is there to make
the waist smaller.
if the waist in a custom or m2m trouser is a great deal smaller than .
the seat, the cutter will cut two darts.
darts are needed also to give the trouser shape over your butt.
if the difference between the seat and the waist is very small then
the trouser may not have a dart, like in a big [read fat] mans store.

Last edited:

Alfred001

Reaction score
thats a dart, the point is at the pocket the wide part is at the waistband.
thats what a dart looks like from the outside after it is sewn.
since your waist is smaller than your seat the dart is there to make
the waist smaller.
if the waist in a custom or m2m trouser is a great deal smaller than .
the seat, the cutter will cut two darts.
darts are needed also to give the trouser shape over your butt.
if the difference between the seat and the waist is very small then
the trouser may not have a dart, like in a big [read fat] mans store.

I see. Is there any way to make them without the dart (while still having the difference between the waist and the seat)? I know that there are jackets that don't have darts but can have considerable waist supression.

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why would you want that Bud. The dart adds style detail, not to mention masculinity. The whole idea of chino is they are meant to be a cheap cotton twill no-nonsense pair of hard wearing pair of workers trousers.
That they are being paraded there as a high fashion item for 50 pound is ludicrous.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alfred, have you only worn jeans? Trying to understand why waist darts are an issue. Darts in jackets and darts at the waist of trousers are two different animals. Trousers without darts on the back would have to have very curved side seams that would not be flattering on anyone

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alfred, have you only worn jeans? Trying to understand why waist darts are an issue. Darts in jackets and darts at the waist of trousers are two different animals. Trousers without darts on the back would have to have very curved side seams that would not be flattering on anyone

AS ever wise words, I have not understood what the OP's problem is with darts.

erk

Reaction score
It is a matter of trying to wrap a two dimensional plain (fabric) around a three dimensional object (your ass). You might have noticed whilst flying in planes across oceans that you don't seem to pass over the voids as depicted in this map:

Same concept really.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
aqlfradoo

the pointed things you see on that map are darts.

lysandar

Reaction score
Quick question. If there's rippling at the back of my pant leg (i.e. front drape is clean but rear isn't) - will adjusting the darts in any way help to resolve this?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
no, you have to lift the back part to balance the trouser. Darts do nothing related to this

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads