• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why the hell do so many dress shoes have the stupid line at the toe?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never understood the hate towards the split toe blucher like that. I absolutely love my Lasalles/Delrays.

There are a lot of things to hate about the look of shoes (and I mean a lot), but the presence or absence of stitching at the toe on a blucher like that has never been of any consequence for me.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because everyone bar you is happy with it, has no problems. Try bespoke shoes.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
I'm rocking a pair right now!

I wasn't always a fan and I'm not sure at what point I started liking them.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm rocking a pair right now!

I wasn't always a fan and I'm not sure at what point I started liking them.

+1

I initially hated the look of a split-toe derby but slowly I came around to them and I now even own a pair of what I consider to be the ultimate shoe in this category - the Edward Green Dover :teach:

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because everyone bar you is happy with it, has no problems. Try bespoke shoes.

No need to go bespoke. The OP makes it sound like 4 out of every 5 shoes is a split toe. Not in my universe. There is no shortage of plain toe, cap toe, long and short wings out there if split toes aren't your thing.

Here is a shoe very similar to the one the OP posted, but without the split toe:

I get why split toes aren't everyone's cuppa, but I don't get the hate. "marsupialed"? That certainly doesn't describe the gorgeous EG Dovers posted above. Not in my books.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're called "split toe" shoes. There's an easy solution; if you don't like the line, then STOP BUYING SPLIT TOES. That's like asking, "why do so many shoes have these stupid wings on the side?"

Buy plain toe shoes.

Last edited:

LooksGood

Reaction score
No need to go bespoke. The OP makes it sound like 4 out of every 5 shoes is a split toe. Not in my universe. There is no shortage of plain toe, cap toe, long and short wings out there if split toes aren't your thing.

Here is a shoe very similar to the one the OP posted, but without the split toe:

I get why split toes aren't everyone's cuppa, but I don't get the hate. "marsupialed"? That certainly doesn't describe the gorgeous EG Dovers posted above. Not in my books.

I like those if they came in black. over 1k though, damn.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ These Santonis aren't anywhere near $1k - they aren't the hand made (FAM) versions - I picked them up on E-bay for under $250. They have rubber soles - which generally attracts howls of condemnation here - but I'll tell you that I was real happy to have them as an option this winter. They were often a go-to shoe.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ These Santonis aren't anywhere near $1k - they aren't the hand made (FAM) versions - I picked them up on E-bay for under $250. They have rubber soles - which generally attracts howls of condemnation here - but I'll tell you that I was real happy to have them as an option this winter. They were often a go-to shoe.
In some cases, dress rubber soles can be a nice alternative to leather.

Willin

Reaction score
Split toe shoes are some of the most atrocious things produced regardless of the price. They always look cheap.

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score
The shoes in question are casual shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads