• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why the disdain for Diesel denim (aside from the few outrageous washes)

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its clear that Diesel denim is looked down upon by many members of this forum (and that the main place it is discussed is HF, where I used to be a member back in the day!). Personally the only denim I wore for years was Diesel (from about 2003-2006). Around 06' I sold all my Diesel and started in with all the brands that are praised on this forum... I have to say that I havent been all that impressed as far as there being a major gap between Diesel and the brands reccomended on here. There are a select few that I have felt are better in quality.

As far as cuts go, a number of the Diesel cuts just cant be beat for fit, now the other side of the coin is the washes, I would say 75% of the washes (including the henious back pockets) are ridiculous, which is really too bad.

Anyway, I am thinking about going back to Diesel for a few pairs of denim (I have found a couple basic washes with normal back pockets) and wanted to get thoughts on the cons of Diesel denim. The only con I can see is some of the cuts (Zaf, Zathan, Zatiny, etc.) with the flare leg look stupid and some of the washes (i.e., bullet holes, and dragons on back pockets) are horrible....

A_back

Reaction score
I can't speak on behalf of the rest of the forum.. but personally, Diesel for me is a no go anymore because I had two pair that practically went from a size 32-> 34/36 after 6 months of wear and washes. They were originally very tight on me as well.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats normal for any jean...

most jeans are going to stretch 2 in or more depending.

A_back

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
thats normal for any jean...

most jeans are going to stretch 2 in or more depending.

Most of mine don't, noteably Nudies, R&R and Prps... I know they stretch out a bit, but diesels for me go from looking super tight to looking like I stepped back into the 90's.
eh.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this thread has been done before, probably by me. Diesel is good quality denim and they make good sneakers. People dislike the obnoxious AX-like branding on much of their clothing. Also, it is a brand sported by douchebags quite often.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the stretching point, the ones I have owned only stretch in the waist and not even close to the same amount as my APC's did, I also size down atleast 2 maybe three whenever I buy Diesel's.

I would say in my experience other denim such as NDG, KMW, Dior, Nudies I have owned all stretched very similar in the waist area, usually about 1.5-2"

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
this thread has been done before, probably by me. Diesel is good quality denim and they make good sneakers. People dislike the obnoxious AX-like branding on much of their clothing. Also, it is a brand sported by douchebags quite often.

I tried to find a thread on it but didnt see one in the search, as far as the branding goes, I would never wear anything other than their denim and leather jackets (which are very nice but very expensive imo).

All the tees and shirts etc. have horrible logos on them, I actually think the denim as far as washes is starting to come back down to earth, as wll as the back pockets. There seems to be less and less douchy washes coming out over the past few seasons (atleast in the cuts I am concerned with, slim straight).

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to justify spending time actually going into a Diesel store to hunt for a basic, good quality jean amongst the dragon-printed tee's and logo-drenched plaid western button downs..I'm sure there are some cuts that are just as good as other brands, but for a non-diesel devotee, what's the point ? To make matters worse, their price point on their hideous jeans is ridiculous..

I used to like Diesel Style Lab, but i have no idea if that's even still around ?

splattered

Reaction score
Hey i like western style button down shirts :p

As for the hideous branding, its nowhere near as bad as it used to be and i havent seen a dragon on anything recent.

They are putting out more and more basic washes in all their cuts and their prices seem to be coming down a tiny bit as well, on top of that they are usually on sale for a decent price all over the web.

I just started getting into them only recently but i have definitely found the more conservative washes more appealing.

Just remember they're vanity sized, and research each wash a bit first because they all fit/stretch differently. I usually size down to a 28 to hit a 30 waist, but sometimes a 27 if they notoriously stretch.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only thing is... i cant stand any of their washes in the first place.... i find every single was horrid.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
style -lab is no longer around. You guys might want to check out "black gold" it's diesel new line ment for the guy who liked diesel but has grown up in a sense.
Diesel is a innovator in the clothing indsutry. I wish less of their goods were logo driven.
I think with the economy in the condition it's in you will see even more diesel because of how well the company is run and the new products they are introducing.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for normal diesel you really have to look through a lot of crap but they always put out a few really nice pieces with no logos. on the other hand black gold is one of my new fav lines. pretty much no branding and they come out with some really nice and interesting pieces.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Tip Mauro. I forgot to mention, I have seen some Black Boots/Hi-Top sneakers that were actually pretty dam fresh..

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
On the stretching point, the ones I have owned only stretch in the waist and not even close to the same amount as my APC's did, I also size down atleast 2 maybe three whenever I buy Diesel's.

I'm curious, how are people able to size down 2-3 sizes? For me, when I buy jeans, it fits just right on my waist, as in it really just the right, exact size that fits. It's tight on the waist but not tight enough that I can't close the button. When you guys sizes down, I am assuming you guys size down from what actually fits your waist, so I guess my question is, how do you guys wear the jeans to break them in and stretch them out? I mean is I sizes down on the jeans I purchase, I won't be able to close them up for sure.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I'm curious, how are people able to size down 2-3 sizes? For me, when I buy jeans, it fits just right on my waist, as in it really just the right, exact size that fits. It's tight on the waist but not tight enough that I can't close the button. When you guys sizes down, I am assuming you guys size down from what actually fits your waist, so I guess my question is, how do you guys wear the jeans to break them in and stretch them out? I mean is I sizes down on the jeans I purchase, I won't be able to close them up for sure.
if you can button them... if they fit just right at the time of purchase they will stretch and not fit so well later. It also varies from jean to jean.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads