• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why The Chinese Love Lafite.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have posted this before but so what.

In 1976 my father and three other dudes shared a magnum of 1870 Lafite in Carmel, CA. I used to have it in my head that it was 1875 but this summer I was in Carmel at a wine shop where they have a picture of the event on the wall (with the menu) and sure enough it was the 1870. The bottle had been in the cellar of a Scottish castle for 100 years and they bought it at auction for essentially nothing.

I have had more Lafite than any other first growth (we are still talking about only a handful of times). Lots of disappointments in there but some really smashing wines also.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have posted this before but so what.

In 1976 my father and three other dudes shared a magnum of 1870 Lafite in Carmel, CA. I used to have it in my head that it was 1875 but this summer I was in Carmel at a wine shop where they have a picture of the event on the wall (with the menu) and sure enough it was the 1870. The bottle had been in the cellar of a Scottish castle for 100 years and they bought it at auction for essentially nothing.

I have had more Lafite than any other first growth (we are still talking about only a handful of times). Lots of disappointments in there but some really smashing wines also.

The restaurant I work at now has 1870 Lafite. You can come buy it and then compare notes with your dad to see how it's aged!

FWIW, I have been led to believe that the recent Asian interest in huge bordeaux is why the fine wine market is doing so well as an investment when others aren't.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Chinese and their Lafite is not dissimilar to the rappers and their Cristal--they buy it mostly for the sakes of impressing their friends and colleagues.

Oftentimes, they mix Sprite in with the wine or put ice cubes in it.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The love has spread even to where it should rarely go. After I'd bought pretty much all of the 2000 Bordeaux I needed (a bit more, really), a salesman inquired if I'd want some of the Lafite second wine, Carruades. I'm not normally a huge fan of second wines, but I figured that the price was right and in 2000, pretty much everything was going to be at its best.

Flash forward to 2010. Come to look at the auction price guides, and 2000 Carruades is selling for what the big daddy Lafite futures opened at nine years ago. Something like 7x appreciation, in other words. Truly a levered play on Asian prosperity.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

yes this is particularly disturbing, even to watch.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The Chinese and their Lafite is not dissimilar to the rappers and their Cristal--they buy it mostly for the sakes of impressing their friends and colleagues.

The best part is when you sit down with them, they'll tell you right off they're drinking xxxx... Black Label. I tell them I prefer water... Black Label.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I misread the title as "why the Chinese love melamine"

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Margaux is consistently my favorite of the 1er cru.

mussel

Reaction score
Are rare wines meant to be kept and traded as collectible/investment, not to be drunken?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Friend recently spent time in China as a guest of some official that was a school buddy of her father. He broke out an old bottle of Lafitte, asked if she thought it was fake, then they all proceeded to drink through the whole bottle using shot glasses. Apparently, they enjoy shooting all forms of their alcohol including wine. Go figure.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the early days, Remy Martin X.O. was the drink of choice.

They've never quite warmed up to champagne most likely because it can't be downed in shot glasses.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the early days, Remy Martin X.O. was the drink of choice.

They've never quite warmed up to champagne most likely because it can't be downed in shot glasses.

Hopefully getting too drunk off shots didn't lead them to have too many spinal injuries.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
Are rare wines meant to be kept and traded as collectible/investment, not to be drunken?

Yes, like Pokemon Cards.

Nouveau riche are delightfully trashy.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel

this is what a good number of people do to try and make a buck. However, they are often really sensational wines.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.