• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why such a high appraise/appeal and price point for BoO

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have tried on BoO at Barneys a few times but have yet to pull the trigger. I just wanted to find out why they get such high appraise and can demand such a high price point (granted $230/shirt for some may not be a high price point but when comparing to other brands I would say BoO is mid to high for casual shirts). I am sure the quality will be the number one reason but the fit didnt really work to well on me.

I am 6'1" 185 lbs. and the shirts I tried seemed quite short in the sleeve lenght and overall length. The fit resembled some of my other shirts that shrunk tto much and were unwearable unless the sleeves were rolled up!

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no idea. most overrated brand out there. robert geller is a close second.

Originally Posted by pg600rr
So I have tried on BoO at Barneys a few times but have yet to pull the trigger. I just wanted to find out why they get such high appraise and can demand such a high price point (granted $230/shirt for some may not be a high price point but when comparing to other brands I would say BoO is mid to high for casual shirts). I am sure the quality will be the number one reason but the fit didnt really work to well on me.

I am 6'1" 185 lbs. and the shirts I tried seemed quite short in the sleeve lenght and overall length. The fit resembled some of my other shirts that shrunk tto much and were unwearable unless the sleeves were rolled up!

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people like the fit of their shirts, but you can buy made-to-measure shirts for less money, so I don't understand the appeal.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
Some people like the fit of their shirts, but you can buy made-to-measure shirts for less money, so I don't understand the appeal.

Brand image.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Others will have more to say, but I think the point of BoO is that they fit skinny/short people very well. At your size, they probably aren't ideal.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I think its word of mouth/waywt for me. I have seen that they fit well and that is why I'd like one.

I have heard the buttons pop-off , thats really the only negative thing i've heard.

The have a lot of interesting collabs, and I like what i've seen on their site.

robbie

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree I wouldn't buy their shirts at retail. They aren't bad, but not worth the money. They make some other interesting things, but only one has really stood out to me. Not coincidentally, that is the only purchase I've ever made from them: the Hunting Shirt jacket I just posted in the WAYWT.

Most of their stuff is ridiculously overpriced.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the suits are really **** considering the retail pricepoint imo

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If not BoO what reccomendations would you suggest for casual shirts (by casual I just mean shirts that arent neccesarily meant to be tucked in and look less formal then Borelli, Kiton, Brioni, etc).

I cannot stand J.Crew none of there items fit well imo, the only other brand I can think of is Stevan Alan for this type of shirt...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
certainly not high end, but express dress shirts hold up well and fit well. i rarely wear proper button downs, but all i own are either prada, jil sander or express.

Cali

Reaction score
I will chime in here as a tall, skinny guy (6'1" 150lbs) I have never had a shirt fit better than the BoO Tall Large. High armholes, slim arms and the darts all contribute to a really solid fit. That being said I have a 'regular' Large that fits well, but is too short.

Points about the buttons are true - they fall off and flake when laundered.

I plan on shipping my Tall L (which they no longer make) off to Jantzen and getting copies made for ~$50. Seems to be what you should pay for this type of shirt (OCBD). There is nothing magic, just a good combination of measurements that a competent shirtmaker should be able to replicate.

constantine.

Reaction score
Cali please keep us updated on how the Jantzen shirts work out. I might do this as well.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I have tried to clone a BOO shirt from mytailor.com, and the shirt should be arriving Monday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics