• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why such a high appraise/appeal and price point for BoO

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I have tried to clone a BOO shirt from mytailor.com, and the shirt should be arriving Monday.

Perhaps it will even be superior, due to better buttons? Let us know.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the only RTW brand I find that fits me. I have no problem wearing them by themselves but with my other button downs, I am ashamed of how boxy they are in comparison so I always wear something over them.

I see a lot of people wearing them who look ok but honestly could wear something from GAP/Jcrew and achieve a similar effect. I cannot. Plain and simple.

And yeah it's overpriced, so buy them on sale/used.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to snag one at 50% off from Secret Service, but no dice on an XL. No way I'd pay full retail, but there's not necessarily a cheaper analogue to the overdye oxford I was looking for.

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tried to clone a BOO shirt from mytailor.com, and the shirt should be arriving Monday.

i was thinking about doin the same...please keep us posted

Cali

Reaction score
I was also thinking if a few people were willing to send their shirts to places like Jantzen or mytailor they could ask the company to make the style available to other customers so you could just ask for "Shirt Style X", and get a BoO clone. The biggest issues for me are that the darting be done right (main reason for the good/tight fit) and that we get better buttons. I am tempted to go plastic, but if thick MOP would hold up that would be fine. I can't stand chipped buttons.

And, of course, fabrics. I have one BoO in heavy cloth that is actually really nice for the winter. My other is a lightweight fabric that is good for the summer, but I need to do more fabric research before I bite the bullet. Jantzen keeps good prices even for their best fabrics - mytailor is more $$ and has huge price differences across fabric lines (although they probably have nicer fabrics at the top end), but are ORGANIZED which Jantzen sorely lacks.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's kind of puzzling to me too, considering for $220+ you can go MTM, or get 4 Jantzen shirts... I'm crazy skinny, but I just get all my stuff slimmed down at the tailor for like 15 bucks and it's money. But, each unto their own.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sooo what are other casual shirt options? steven alan, apc, EG...

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
the suits are really **** considering the retail pricepoint imo

I've got two BoO suits and they compare favorably to any other designer suit I own and cost slightly less as well.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
The reasons I want to clone BOO is that the BOO Larges are almost too short on me and I feel uncomfortable wearing them with anything other than jeans because of that. I also want to save $$ and pick better fabrics.

Cali

Reaction score
The reasons I want to clone BOO is that the BOO Larges are almost too short on me and I feel uncomfortable wearing them with anything other than jeans because of that. I also want to save $$ and pick better fabrics.

I feel the same way - the Tall large is awesome though.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cali
I was also thinking if a few people were willing to send their shirts to places like Jantzen or mytailor they could ask the company to make the style available to other customers so you could just ask for "Shirt Style X", and get a BoO clone.

I agree this would be awesome, as it would allow people to get the fit they want with their choices of fabrics and details without paying a huge premium. on the other hand, I can't say I agree with the idea of someone taking someone elses design/pattern and selling it. This reminds of the blackscissors thing over @ sufu. they got a lot of **** for essentially ripping off/cloning other designers work.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cali
I will chime in here as a tall, skinny guy (6'1" 150lbs) I have never had a shirt fit better than the BoO Tall Large. High armholes, slim arms and the darts all contribute to a really solid fit. That being said I have a 'regular' Large that fits well, but is too short.

Points about the buttons are true - they fall off and flake when laundered.

I plan on shipping my Tall L (which they no longer make) off to Jantzen and getting copies made for ~$50. Seems to be what you should pay for this type of shirt (OCBD). There is nothing magic, just a good combination of measurements that a competent shirtmaker should be able to replicate.

What do you mean, they no longer make?

Cali

Reaction score
It seems that the Tall sizes were not made this season - I couldn't find them at any retailer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads