• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Southern California rules

Droog

Reaction score
I lived in Central/Southern California for a total of five years and return there routinely to visit in-laws. I also lived in the South (Georgia/Virginia) for a total of eight years. Clearly, the former is overrated and the latter, underrated.

fortune

Reaction score
The yellow lambo at 2:37ish sounds ******* awesome.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Southern California makes me want to commit suicide in a nihilistic way.
+1, my first trip to LA will hopefully be my only trip to SoCal. The people are so incredibly impatient, and just plain assholes imo. We were walking on Sunset and as i passed a guy on the sidewalk I went to move out of his way and he says to me , "get the **** out of my way already!" Also, everything was dirty and crowded. I am pretty sure i did not see a single bit of horizon not bombarded by some form of advertising. not my cup of tea to say the least.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
+1, my first trip to LA will hopefully be my only trip to SoCal. The people are so incredibly impatient, and just plain assholes imo. We were walking on Sunset and as i passed a guy on the sidewalk I went to move out of his way and he says to me , "get the **** out of my way already!" Also, everything was dirty and crowded. I am pretty sure i did not see a single bit of horizon not bombarded by some form of advertising. not my cup of tea to say the least.
Wow, I've never in my life of living in southern California encountered a person like this. I don't consider myself biased - I love northern California as well as the Pacific northwest, but I still love Southern California. LA is a ******* amazing city for so many reasons. It's got *everything* and with beautiful weather most of the time too, and I consider it a lot less crowded than say, Boston or NYC.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Wow, I've never in my life of living in southern California encountered a person like this. I don't consider myself biased - I love northern California as well as the Pacific northwest, but I still love Southern California. LA is a ******* amazing city for so many reasons. It's got *everything* and with beautiful weather most of the time too, and I consider it a lot less crowded than say, Boston or NYC.
I think the dead giveaway was when he referred to LA as "SoCal" and then goes on to mention some idiot he ran into on Sunset...

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are a many LA's inside LA - you just gotta find the right ones.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I think the dead giveaway was when he referred to LA as "SoCal" and then goes on to mention some idiot he ran into on Sunset...

I guess I just thought in a thread about Southern California it was appropriate to refer to said locale as 'socal'. Also, maybe it didn't occur on sunset. I was in California, and we were in "LA" but the whole trip i had no idea when LA started or stopped.
I am from Oklahoma City, which to me is an adequately sized city. LA was just too large and the people were far less polite than I am accustomed to, thats all I was getting at.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
There are a many LA's inside LA - you just gotta find the right ones.
+1 This is what I was referring to. Angelenos will tell you there are parts of LA they hate as well, but they've had time to figure out their niche. Hating SoCal because of LA is a different story. LA isn't San Diego, Big Bear, Santa Barbara, Catalina Island, etc. etc. etc.

dapperdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
+1, my first trip to LA will hopefully be my only trip to SoCal. The people are so incredibly impatient, and just plain assholes imo. We were walking on Sunset and as i passed a guy on the sidewalk I went to move out of his way and he says to me ,
"get the **** out of my way already!"

Also, everything was dirty and crowded. I am pretty sure i did not see a single bit of horizon not bombarded by some form of advertising.

not my cup of tea to say the least.

I was talking to a guy in San Diego who used to live in Venice (LA). He had similar observations about LA. Once, he said, he asked a guy in Westwood for the time, and the guy's response was to "**** off."

I haven't really encountered this myself, but it does seem like most people in LA are indifferent to others when driving on the freeway or in public places.

There are some nice things about SoCal, but one day I see myself going somewhere where people are more humane to each other.

dapperdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Yeah, been out to the 909 or east SD county much?
I've encountered a few genuine rednecks in the San Gabriel Valley (Pasadena, Monrovia) and West LA. Perhaps they were Okies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okie Besides, there's not much difference b/w "rednecks" and macho Mexican-American males wearing cowboy hats, driving pick-up trucks while drunk, and listening to Tejano (country) music.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads