• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why so many religions have issues with homosexuality?

Wackadoodle

Reaction score
I thought it was because Moses wanted all the gay dudes to bone ladies so the Jewish population could rebound after being enslaved. Then, for whatever reason ,it ended up in the Bible despite the fact that the Jews aren't wandering the desert anymore.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
I've been getting into this new age spiritual stuff, examining different religious philosophies, so that one day I can claim a religion as my own. What I don't understand is why homosexuality is such a taboo in many different religious thoughts. Any idea?

the pagan Greeks had no probs with homosexuality at all, and their gods - Athena, Zeus Poseidon etc are pretty cool. I'd go for that.
smile.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most armed forces if not almost all are also intolerant with homosexuals. So are the better golf clubs, the NHL, professional boxing organizations, masons, elks clubs, and heavy metal Internet forum sites.... Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who cares

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
Most armed forces if not almost all are also intolerant with homosexuals. So are the better golf clubs, the NHL, professional boxing organizations, masons, elks clubs, and heavy metal Internet forum sites.... Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

laugh.gif

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
religion was made by men. if women had more say they'd be a lot more tolerant, because woman folk are tolerant. men, not so much.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
religion was made by men. if women had more say they'd be a lot more tolerant, because woman folk are tolerant. men, not so much.
Not the women I know.
butbut.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So which one of these guys is you?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Wasn't Levitican law intended to be parochial for the Israelites? Wasn't it all essentially voided with the new covenant?

It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17)

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

Taken at face value, this is probably the stupidest thing I've read on SF this week. However, if you specifically meant "tolerant of homoesuality", I'd agree with you.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Homophobia is a primitive and infantile reaction to being confronted with something different. Many religions are characterised by lack of critical faculty, and as such, hateful and intolerant reactions are their first course.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Taken at face value, this is probably the stupidest thing I've read on SF this week. However, if you specifically meant "tolerant of homoesuality", I'd agree with you.

Well you're a freakin homoesual.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Polygamy is incompatible with democracy.
teacha.gif

I continually cringe at my Christian brethren's theologically unsound obsession with the sinfulness of homosexuality. The Bible inveighs against greed, sloth, civic inaction, and adultery hundreds of times; homosexuality six times. Yet our leadership (at least our leadership that the press puts a microphone in front of) constantly rails against gays, yet is silent on greed, etc....

Off camera though, many mainstream denominations are very tolerant of teh gheys. I'm a Methodist, and I've been to many churches where gays were in leadership positions.

Dude, you are completely missing the important part:

Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woolen and linen together.

When will America wake up and do something about all this mixed cloth? It's a threat to our freedoms.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
I've been getting into this new age spiritual stuff, examining different religious philosophies, so that one day I can claim a religion as my own. What I don't understand is why homosexuality is such a taboo in many different religious thoughts. Any idea?
Maybe some religions pick up on and sublimate the best ways for survival of a group of hunters, nomads, farmers etc. Thus they not only make sacred and elevate such things as eating and drinking ('the flesh and blood') or the circle of life and death (in animals and human beings) but also- consciously or not- successful reproduction and average (i.e. common) sexuality that is of course very important, too.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
Dude, you are completely missing the important part:

Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woolen and linen together.

When will America wake up and do something about all this mixed cloth? It's a threat to our freedoms.

On the plus side, it should get rid of cotton/poly blends...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads