• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why so many designer´s cotton pants & T-shirt´s require you to dry cleaning?

pingguo

Reaction score
Is it a marketing strategy to make us believe that we are buying something really exclusive when we know is just 100% cotton fabric?
I have many clothes that require dry cleaning, I think it´s stupid and I never do it.

What is dry cleaning really for? Why some designer´s abuse the use of dry cleaning terminology?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never seen such thing in my life.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pingguo
Is it a marketing strategy to make us believe that we are buying something really exclusive when we know is just 100% cotton fabric?
I have many clothes that require dry cleaning, I think it´s stupid and I never do it.

What is dry cleaning really for? Why some designer´s abuse the use of dry cleaning terminology?

I know!!! It's an outrage!!! I AM REALLY PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! DRY CLEANING REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!

afriend.

Reaction score
I have my collared shirts made from cotton and I ensure that they are dry cleaned.

In washing with water, there are often mineral contents inside the water which may remain in the shirt after repeated washing. This is why white shirts start to turn a slight greyish tinge even if you take care of it.

There are quite a few reasons as well.

Personally I think dry cleaning (using organic solvent) is a better way of cleaning the clothes while being less harsh on the fibres, allowing it to last longer. An expensive solution...which you can simply tailor make a new shirt in terms of cost.

BBC

Reaction score
I cut all my fabric care tags off so I'm not sure which ones are dry clean only.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by afriend.
In washing with water, there are often mineral contents inside the water which may remain in the shirt after repeated washing. This is why white shirts start to turn a slight greyish tinge even if you take care of it.

Where do you live?

Personally I think dry cleaning (using organic solvent) is a better way of cleaning the clothes while being less harsh on the fibres, allowing it to last longer. An expensive solution...which you can simply tailor make a new shirt in terms of cost.
Do you understand that dry cleaning = using extremely active chemical solvent? And compared to this, those "mineral contents" you talked about is pretty much nothing?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe its all marketing. I have clothing which are very obviously washable with dry clean only tags. Washed them and all fine. I've even washed 97% wool trousers. I wash pretty much anything that contain polyester in it or 100% cotton, though my shirts and trousers are hand washed in cold water.

Icehawk

Reaction score
I wash everything at home except suits & sweaters really - I'm sorry but there is no reason a cotton shirt needs professional laundering. I did notice when I was in Singapore that a good number of dry cleaners offer a silver ion service instead of using the older chemical methods, I have no idea if it is as good though.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
I wash everything at home except suits & sweaters really - I'm sorry but there is no reason a cotton shirt needs professional laundering. I did notice when I was in Singapore that a good number of dry cleaners offer a silver ion service instead of using the older chemical methods, I have no idea if it is as good though.

Back in the days people washed couture clothing by hand not by some dry clean only service.

GBer

Reaction score
Post the tag pic

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see it all the time on Polo pants.

Stuff like their banana republic-looking french fly khaki-colored pants, as well as their cotton version of pants that you'd expect to see in wool i.e. all cotton herringbone, glen plaid, calvary twill etc pants.

A friend of mine is about my size and gave me a stack of pants like that, he always dry cleaned them. I ran one pair through the wash and it shrank a ton so I got rid of the rest.

haiguise

Reaction score
Dry cleaning is necessary for cotton pants in some instances:

Dark-colored fabric that will fade
Waistband/inner lining is made from a material that will bunch if shrunk
**** fabric looks even shittier when washed

Cotton T-shirts that require dry cleaning must be because of the adornment.

I have some cotton pants that are dry clean only. If I washed them they would lose their shape and color.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But sometimes I think they just put that tag in there. I bought a lot of Hickey Freeman chinos off STP a few years ago -- maybe 6-8 pairs -- they are identical with only slight variation in color. Some have a label that say "wash cold, gentle cycle, dry flat" -- others say "dry clean only" -- and the rest of the tags are the same. The issue is probably the lining and pockets not being built to withstand a lot of dryer heat.

hermes man

Reaction score
they must have good season for putting the method of cleaning

so i will just follow them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads