• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why should I work out my legs?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did deadlifts yesterday and hurt like a mofo today. Even picking something small off the ground causes groans and pain. So then I started thinking -- - i dont play competitive sports and am not a serious cardio bunny (no functional reason) - my body is proportionate, in fact I have pretty large legs already (no aesthetic reason) - i've never been injured and dont have to gain back strength or range of motion (no medical reason) - Unlike arms, chicks dont notice them in non-SW&D pants and barely, if ever, in shorts (no sexual reason) - it causes me 3 days of pain - AND I usually have to wait on some turd to finish doing curls in the squat rack So humor me with your theories and bro-science, SF: why should I continue to work out my legs? (full disclosure: I always have and will do squats. just asking for the lulz)

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. It hurts so good.
2. Look good naked.
3. Feel powerful.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
I did deadlifts yesterday and hurt like a mofo today. Even picking something small off the ground causes groans and pain. So then I started thinking --

- i dont play competitive sports and am not a serious cardio bunny (no functional reason)
- my body is proportionate, in fact I have pretty large legs already (no aesthetic reason)
- i've never been injured and dont have to gain back strength or range of motion (no medical reason)
- Unlike arms, chicks dont notice them in non-SW&D pants and barely, if ever, in shorts (no sexual reason)
- it causes me 3 days of pain
- AND I usually have to wait on some turd to finish doing curls in the squat rack

So humor me with your theories and bro-science, SF: why should I continue to work out my legs?

(full disclosure: I always have and will do squats. just asking for the lulz)

Deadlifts?

The best part on a guy's body is his back, specifically lower back. Most guys will have pretty much no fat there so it can look really good. Hamstrings+ass+back is the most underrated combo. Girls really do love it.

feel like a complete douche for the "girls love it" thing, but it's true.

Plus:
-Gives good posture
-helps with core strength and other lifts
-feel strong lifting heavy weights
-is one of the best lifts that covers pretty much the whole back, glutes, hamstrings.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
1. It hurts so good. 2. Look good naked. 3. Feel powerful.
1. the delayed onset muscle soreness (doms) ruins the next 2-3 days. Eh.... 2. My weiner usually suffices. Plus abs, delts and lats go much further 3. Isnt that what your glamour muscles are for? Why not focus on biceps?
Originally Posted by hendrix
Deadlifts? The best part on a guy's body is his back, specifically lower back. Most guys will have pretty much no fat there so it can look really good. Hamstrings+ass+back is the most underrated combo. Girls really do love it.....
I mentioned DL's cause thats what I did, but Im talking squats, lunges, presses, extensions/curls, anything specifically for the legs. (and unlike your upperback, your lowerback hardly gets any definition, there just arent massive muscles there. plus if you get that spare tire, it shows. You could also include injury prevention for back excercise, but this is just to convince me to do legs)

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(and unlike your upperback, your lowerback hardly gets any definition, there just arent massive muscles there. plus if you get that spare tire, it shows. You could also include injury prevention for back excercise, but this is just to convince me to do legs)

well, not definition in the way that you can see different groups of muscles, because there's only one, but definition in the way that is sticks out like corrugated iron.

actually kinda annoying now cos i can't dry that part of my back with towel.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
you shouldnt.

leave the squat rack for us.

uh, I believe its the curl rack, broski.

waitwut?

squat1.jpg

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because they are part of the largest muscle chain and by exercising them you are going to release more testosterone and good hormones for muscle growth and fat burning.

mgoose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cb200
Because they are part of the largest muscle chain and by exercising them you are going to release more testosterone and good hormones for muscle growth and fat burning.

This

I don't believe in isolation exercises at all, and btw I've heard a number of women pitch about guys with "pinner legs" or "chicken legs", women actually like a guy with big strong legs, and a nice ass.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did deadlifts yesterday and hurt like a mofo today. Even picking something small off the ground causes groans and pain. So then I started thinking --

- i dont play competitive sports and am not a serious cardio bunny (no functional reason)
- my body is proportionate, in fact I have pretty large legs already (no aesthetic reason)
- i've never been injured and dont have to gain back strength or range of motion (no medical reason)
- Unlike arms, chicks dont notice them in non-SW&D pants and barely, if ever, in shorts (no sexual reason)
- it causes me 3 days of pain
- AND I usually have to wait on some turd to finish doing curls in the squat rack

So humor me with your theories and bro-science, SF: why should I continue to work out my legs?

To address your points in turn...

1) Your functional reason would be to get stronger. You will always be better as your stronger version than the weaker version. There is your functional reason.
2) If you are already proportionate, you need to continue your full body work outs to maintain it. Your aesthetic reason.
3) As you age, your strength will decline. There is your medical reason.
4) No two women are alike. My GF seems to like my glutes, biceps, and shoulders equally, although she focuses on my glutes. So your sexual reason would be it is best not to neglect any particular part.
5) You should not experience 3 days of pain with some conditioning. That you do experience DOMS should be a big reason to keep doing them.
6) Don't DL in the squat rack? Use the DL platform... or the middle of the gym.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The spike in testosterone is minimal and happens during and post workout. Not for days after. In fact, you get that testoterone spike from any compound excercise.
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I always have to role my eyes at this... if one is doing OLY bar curls the rack is generally the only place to do them, at least in any gym I've ever belonged too.
Where you go man? Every gym Ive been to has one one of these:
straight-bars-on-rack.jpg
and / or a preacher curl rack
PPB32X.jpg
Mainly its the group of three 15 year old kids who come in, put 5's on each side of the bar, sit around and talk for 30 minutes, flex in the mirror and dont do **** else and makes everyone else wait. yes, mad.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where you go man? Every gym Ive been to has one one of these:

straight-bars-on-rack.jpg

and / or a preacher curl rack

PPB32X.jpg

Mainly its the group of three 15 year old kids who come in, put 5's on each side of the bar, sit around and talk for 30 minutes, flex in the mirror and dont do **** else and makes everyone else wait. yes, mad.

I'm with you on the n00bs hogging the rack... but I'm talking curls with a full oly bar (bench press bar), not a 3/4 or 1/2 bar like your first example. Curling 135 on an oly bar is a very different lift than using 3/4 bars, EZ bars etc.

My gyms have preacher rack as well, seated and standing. Again, those are a different lift that target differently as I'm sure you know
wink.gif

Regarding squats... and to a degree, deads, one could literally do just those for general development... the total body growth benefits are well documented. Everybody's mileage will vary, but DOMS diminish after a few weeks unless you do something to radically switch things up.

For example, my legs today are jello/sore and I'm tired. But if I repeat the same leg workout for a couple of weeks, I'll get to the point where there is little in the way of DOMS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads