• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why should I work out my legs?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think about it Herbert. In a year without any regular work his legs will have atrophied while his upper body continues to develop. Do YOU think its good to have ripped biceps and flabby thighs?

Rosencrantz1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I think I heard about it, but I never played with the Kindle reader for PC. Grabbed the Waterbury book for kicks. I remember reading his Tmuscle article advocating 10 sets of 3 explosive, heavy reps and being very interested. I hope the book jives with Wendler531 cause I just finished my first week...

I haven't done (nor do I know ton about) the Wendler 531, but I have heard of guys mentioning it.

I would say if you like it, and are enjoying the results, stick it out to the end and you can always tackle Waterbury after that. His book is based around fast/explosive lifts, and has a very good in-depth explanation of why he recommends training that way.

Obviously YMMV, but after years of gym-going (with decent results all along), I don't feel like I've ever made as much progress as I did in the year I spent on the Waterbury. In fact, I'm back at the beginning, doing it all again.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
Think about it Herbert. In a year without any regular work his legs will have atrophied while his upper body continues to develop. Do YOU think its good to have ripped biceps and flabby thighs?

no but i just tired of trying to change the opinion of someone i dont know from the internet. not working legs will only be to his detriment.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read the Waterbury book at work last night. Probably wasn't exactly worth the $15 as I have read his Tmuscle articles. Between reading him and Thibodeau, I already do the explosive / accelerate thing. When I've done Wendler for a bit and return to 5x5, I will take his 10x3 rep scheme and build a "5x5" style program out of it.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, if you prefer the appearance of fitness to genuine fitness (and think it's possible to achieve one without the other), then by all means drop DLs. but you won't be fit.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Read the Waterbury book at work last night. Probably wasn't exactly worth the $15 as I have read his Tmuscle articles. Between reading him and Thibodeau, I already do the explosive / accelerate thing. When I've done Wendler for a bit and return to 5x5, I will take his 10x3 rep scheme and build a "5x5" style program out of it.

I'm not sure I would have spent the money for his book either. All of his concepts (explosive lifting, low reps, high frequency training, etc.) are easily found on T-Muscle. And if you are an avid reader of the site you are probably doing those things anyways.

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I always have to role my eyes at this... if one is doing OLY bar curls the rack is generally the only place to do them, at least in any gym I've ever belonged too.
nope curl somewhere else

jiratic

Reaction score
wont sound popular but
if you want functional leg strength look at ballet/gymnastic's exercises.
You don't need a barre but Ballet guys/girls have freakish muscle tone and strength,

Ajaxv2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
1. It hurts so good.
2. Look good naked.
3. Feel powerful.

This. Oh and because Louis XIV did it first.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
nope

curl somewhere else

facepalm.gif

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
The funniest guys are always the dudes who have 18inch guns and 20inch legs. Do not be that guy.

Depends on what part of their leg is 20", if it's a person's calves I'd say they look pretty damn good, but if it's their quads then they'd look pretty funny...

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Like the bench press.
isnt curling supposed to be done on the smith machine?
confused.gif

gvibes

Reaction score
If you get 3 days of DOMS after every leg workout, you are doing something wrong. Try a potassium supplement or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads