• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why should I give a damn about whaling?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Because whales cry, sharks dont. Plus [most] whales don't have teeth [that bite humans].

They will still keeeeeeel you in their tank at Sea World.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
What the heck are we doing with all that human meat?!?! Talk about a waste....
rolleyes.gif
I really could care less what the whalers do and the people that oppose them. It seems as if the whalers are still doing well for themselves and these idiots are just getting their fancy boats messed up and getting arrested. Doesn't really affect me except provide the occasional lulz or facepalm.

Glad the silly Australian news writers are so unbiased in their reporting You also have to remember this is the guy who purportedly took a bullet and was saved by a tin "badge" in the first season....
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Pigs can almost be equated to dogs, but are even more intelligent. I think one day the pork industry will start to downsize in America when people make the association of why exactly it is wrong to kill one species of animal, but more acceptable to use another for food.
You really think Americans are going to give up bacon? You should check yourself into an institution already
Originally Posted by Davidko19
well thats debateable. I think sharks are cool. Whales eat plankton. laaame. This is affirmative action for animal, man! And if not killing cute creatures were the case in society, shiiiit, Id be the only person left cause Im a hamsom mofo
Plankton supplies are reportedly going to be in demand shortly, therefore killing the whales is the environmentally proactive approach! Kill em! Actually, I could care less about the whales, my problem is the method those idiots use. If they're going to sail around under the Jolly Roger, they should be treated like pirates and by that I mean they should be shot the moment their feet hit the deck (3). They also like to throw **** at Japanese and cry when they fight back, ***** ass hippies. Also, dislike all these celebrities who fund these idiots.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
It is now my goal to eat a whole dolphin. I wonder if you can split them and roast them like a pig.

I never even thought of eating dolphin, but after all this publicity from the U.S., I am curious. The problem is, I can't find dolphin sold at supermarkets or fish markets in Japan, and have never seen it sold in my entire life.

Whale is sold all over the place so I buy some every once in a while. Surprisingly, the fresh stuff is fairly cheap, but the bacon is expensive. Also on some of the supermarket labels, it says something like "Whale from Scientific Research"
laugh.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much of the dolphin meat is labeled as whale, people aren't aware they are eating dolphin.

I imagine this is propaganda. From pictures I have seen, dolphin meat and whale meat look quite different, and it would be very difficult to forge the label.

On The Cove, they talked to random Japanese people who had no idea that dolphins were being killed and were disgusted when they found out.

As I pointed out to you before, I imagine over 99% of the Japanese had no idea dolphin was even edible
smile.gif
It's not sold in stores at all, unless you are in some obscure country village. The activists are highlighting this issue that is really isolated to a small village that not even Japanese are aware exists.
laugh.gif

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
FROM THIS

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

TO THIS

Is this supposed to invoke feelings of sadness and anger that the cute dolphins are being slaughtered by the mean humans?

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
Is this supposed to invoke feelings of sadness and anger that the cute dolphins are being slaughtered by the mean humans?

No.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because you gotta respect the fuckin' Whale!!!

hartford_whalers_1996.gif

Dan K

Reaction score
Basically from what this thread looks like no one really gives a **** about any other form of life and is prepared to eat it all, except dogs, they're cool.

If dolphins are so intelligent why don't they just swim away.

enjoiii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
These whale war hippies kill me man. I just saw this article about a proposed, yet failed, peace treaty to limit hunting minke whales among the 4 nations that still do it. CURRENT hunting quotas are:

Japan - 950 a year
Norway - 1,000 per year
Iceland - 50 per year
Greenland - 212 per year

= 2,212 total whales hunted

There are estimates of 450,000 minke whales in the Southern Hemisphere, 145,000 in the North Atlantic and about 25,000 in the western North Pacific for a total of approximately 620,000 minke whales in the world. This comes to less than .004% of all Minke whales being hunted.

The murder rate for humans is higher than that, but lets compare to another sea creature like sharks...

Most estimate that, as a whole, 100 million sharks of all species are killed a year - with many more endangered and threatened species but little protection. Where is the outrage in that?

I just dont get it. Why is the world expending so much effort to protect an animal that isnt even threatened - in fact, I would say they're THRIVING. Hell, there are more whales than there are residents of Vermont, though some might call them whales.

(yes! in b4 Metros ******** comments)

You calculated the percentage wrong, Multiply your number by 100.
I can understand how people could be a little mad when your killing 0.357% of a species annually.

and they are much cuter then sharks.

Dan K

Reaction score
Did you watch the videos of the slaughter? They are trapped at the ocean's edge, it's very difficult for them to escape. They have no option, being in the water makes them extremely vulnerable.

what are u talking about, they most definitely hold the advantage by being in the water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads