• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Should I Disagree With Milton Friedman?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a current mancrush on Milton Friedman and have been reading / watching a lot about him.

ITT, we point out why his philosophies don't / won't work so that I can get over my crush and move on.

Thank you.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
**** too small. I can't crush on anything smaller than a C cup.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I think his confidence in macroeconomic efficiency is a little exaggerated, but I love hearing him speak. He was brilliant. I prefer Hayek but I am not extremely well read in either.

He is responsible for Naomi Klein's career however, so (to borrow her logic for a moment) that makes him a despicable figure.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

I have a current mancrush on Milton Friedman and have been reading / watching a lot about him.
ITT, we point out why his philosophies don't / won't work so that I can get over my crush and move on.

Friedman sucks because in the last 125 years, humans in the free market have developed electricity, indoor plumbing, computers, cars, airplanes, medicine, the internet, cell phones, video games, film, modern arts, fake ****, Oreos, and the Foreman Grill, but because some people in America still can't afford to rent a loft in Tribeca, capitalism has been a colossal failure and we must abandon it.

Last edited:

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think his confidence in macroeconomic efficiency is a little exaggerated, but I love hearing him speak. He was brilliant. I prefer Hayek but I am not extremely well read in either.
He is responsible for Naomi Klein's career however, so (to borrow her logic for a moment) that makes him a despicable figure.

I just recently saw some of this woman's insane stuff. She seems like a real :tinfoil:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

I just recently saw some of this woman's insane stuff. She seems like a real :tinfoil:

She and her husband have a running competition over who can raise my blood pressure higher.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you.

Dig into Ludwig von Mises, too.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dig into Ludwig von Mises, too.

I've been a member of the LVM institute (or whatever) on Facebook and frequent their website in addition to the Cato institutes website (and have had "The Road to Serfdom" on my reading list forever) but for some reason, all of a sudden, much of it's really just starting to sink in. Not sure why. I was never much of an economic kind of person.

I blame George Bush. (Really, I do)...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Economics cannot be purely explained , understood and managed through Neoclassical synthesis or on Keynesianist policies because of so many human , political, sociological and irrational stimuli affecting their models...

If great economists were able to manage our economies ,why are regularly in the shite ???

Neoclassical policies were behind the great depression and Keynes brought the answers...

Keynes policies run into the muds of the seventies and suddenly we have the monetarist mirages...

And now???

Neo Keynesiasim , Post School of Chicago??

I have always hated people thinking through intellectualized patterns and dogma ...

They're very dangerous and lacking the pragmatism needed to adapt to new challenges needing answers outside the frames they believed in..

Greenspan anyone??

The great econimal minds of this century..

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Friedman sucks because in the last 125 years, humans in the free market have developed electricity, indoor plumbing, computers, cars, airplanes, medicine, the internet, cell phones, video games, film, modern arts, fake ****, Oreos, and the Foreman Grill, but because some people in America still can't afford to rent a loft in Tribeca, capitalism has been a colossal failure and we must abandon it.

you have weird concept of a free market if if you think many of those were developed in one... that means you consider the the system of west duringht 70´s to 90´s a free market system. that idea can be shot down in 5 minutes

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because that motherfucker looks like a Ghandi-Turtle-Ashkenazi-Hebrew hybrid.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

you have weird concept of a free market if if you think many of those were developed in one... that means you consider the the system of west duringht 70´s to 90´s a free market system. that idea can be shot down in 5 minutes

This is sort of like the "Communism has never been given a real try" argument. Also, Lasbar is incomprehensible.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads