1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why should I buy a Mac??

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by RedScarf7, Dec 9, 2008.

1. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    Mac hardware is superior. Yes, there are some PC's out there that can match them, but never component for component, Apple just doesn't make crap computers*. Every PC laptop is missing something, I've never found that perfect combo. PC laptops that do manage to meet and exceed are not cheaper and are actually more expensive. Go price a Dell to a MBP's specs, it's almost $150 more. Maybe you can get it on sale if you call them, but they need to be much cheaper for me to consider that. Also, MBP's can run Windows better than PC's, so you don't lose anything. Everything will run on them. You can Hackintosh your PC, but it's such a pain in the ass, on laptops anyway. OSX is super intuitive, but I hate not having a right "mouse" button. Is that being different for difference sake? I had to get a real mouse and run a program to fix that in OSX. [​IMG] *The MBAir is crap. Get a Lenovo or Sony if you need an ultra portable... or a MBP and a Netbook.

2. huy

huy Senior member

PC laptops that do manage to meet and exceed are not cheaper and are actually more expensive.
    After a quick search on newegg I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220395 This computer has a better video card and 2gb more of ram and only costs $1200. Wait another year and this computer will get cheaper and phased out for faster ones while apple doesn't change a thing and charges the same price.
    Also, MBP's can run Windows better than PC's, so you don't lose anything.
    How exactly does a MB run windows any better than a similarly spec'd laptop?

3. Zandros

Zandros Senior member

Apple recently recommended that all Mac users start using anti-virus programs. I'm not sure why, but it was recently announced on AppleInsider.

And even more recently, Apple deleted the notice. Apparently it was old, and was brought to the surface by an update of the software version numbering. The reason for deletion was apparently that it was outdated and inaccurate.

@TokyoSlim: I know of two functioning trojans for Mac OS X 10.5.5. OSX.RSPlug.A and OSX.Lamzev.A. Care to list any more malware?

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Their so-called Genius Bar is absolutely useless; it should be called the Retard Bar.

5. Berticus

Berticus Senior member

The no malware thing is a lie. All operating systems have malware of some sort, it's just some are more susceptible. The susceptibility has more to do with design than popularity. Popularity determines how big of a target it is. Windows has a terrible design because of how it handles permissions. It gives too much to the user, so things can be automatically installed and executed without the user being aware of it. Mac's are based on BSD, so just like Linux, it handles permissions correctly. However, I believe Mac's are more susceptible because they're slightly more automated in the installation process. I'm not entirely sure about that last point.

Another example about how design affects susceptibility is rootkits. Since Windows uses an internal API, combined with giving users too much power, rootkits can easily be installed. The issue with Windows here is the user space vs. kernel space. Windows rootkits uses a process involving hooks and trampolines. I don't know Macs as much as Windows or Linux, but if it's got an internal API, it'll suffer from the same vulnerability. One of the reasons why Linux was designed without an internal API's was because it would be harder to design and install a rootkit.

Anyone who both receives files and sends them to Windows users must have an AV regardless of OS. Even Linux, if you're receiving files and sending them to Windows users, you are highly suggested to have an AV. It's not to protect you, but really to protect Windows users who receive your files.

As far as other exploits go, Mac lost at the PWN 2 Own contest. Since it's only zero-day attacks could be use, it doesn't really mean much for you. The only information you can get from that conference is that if you get a Mac, don't use it; if you have Vista, don't install anything; if you use Linux, do whatever you want.

All in all, I'd say stay away from Windows whether that means going Apple or checking out Linux. Personally I'd suggest giving Linux a try, and I mean a real try. Not just a 1 hour or less session. No matter which OS you go to, it's going to take some time to adjust and become comfortable. If Linux doesn't suit you, go with a Mac. Either way, if you game, you can dual boot Windows. I can't really say much about the Mac experience. I've used it a couple of times because the power supply to my computer broke (luckily nothing else), and I had to borrow my roommate's macbook pro. I stayed in the Terminal (or as you Windows users would call it, the command line). On that low of a level, it's more like *nix.

6. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Mac hardware is superior. Yes, there are some PC's out there that can match them, but never component for component, Apple just doesn't make crap computers*.

Recently read this on Giz.

http://gizmodo.com/5104487/new-macbo...hird+party-ram

http://gizmodo.com/5099671/beta-cult...n-new-macbooks

Proof to back up this statement?

If I recall correctly there was an article around 2006 or early 2007 where PCMag or some such made a claim that it was faster (not better). However subsequent reports showed that they were comparing a faster Mac with a slower PC.

7. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Photography is something I am interested so I would like to take that into account when purchasing a laptop.

True, you can do most imagery work on a PC. That said, I love using iPhoto for storing and managing my digital image files. For manipulating them, Aperture is progressing in leaps and bounds, though I still think Photoshop has the edge. Gimp is a great free programme for Macs you can use, too (they may make a Windows version, I don't know).

I do a lot of writing as well and like the Pages programme. However, given the ubiquitous nature of the Office suite, you may want to stick with Word for Mac.

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I've had years worth of experience on the three major platforms - Windows, OS X and Linux (used RedHat for quite some time) and I've settled onto OS X, mostly because of the seamlessness between Adobe applications and the OS.

9. mink31

mink31 Senior member

True, you can do most imagery work on a PC. That said, I love using iPhoto for storing and managing my digital image files. For manipulating them, Aperture is progressing in leaps and bounds, though I still think Photoshop has the edge. Gimp is a great free programme for Macs you can use, too (they may make a Windows version, I don't know).

I do a lot of writing as well and like the Pages programme. However, given the ubiquitous nature of the Office suite, you may want to stick with Word for Mac.

Yes, Gimp does exist for Windows. I like everything about it except there's no way to change RGB to grayscale or whatever! (Have to go to PS just for that.)

OP: one thing you'll need to seriously consider if you're thinking about getting a MacBook/MB Pro is the glossy screens. Many photo-geek users have been complaining ad nauseum about Apple's notebook screens. Glossy<matte, plus there are some vertical viewing angle issues with the MB display (the MBP/Air has a nicer panel, however). The cruel irony of this is that the image expert's favorite brand has given their "pro" users a fat, glossy finger.

10. Berticus

Berticus Senior member

Yes, Gimp does exist for Windows. I like everything about it except there's no way to change RGB to grayscale or whatever! (Have to go to PS just for that.)
    Huh? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] You mean CMYK? Someone whose in the graphics industry who uses both gimp and photoshop regularly claims to have done a complete feature comparison on both. Supposedly there's only two things in photoshop that gimp doesn't have. CMYK is one of them, don't remember what the other was. As for glossy or matte, that's a user preference thing. Glossy will give you more vibrant colors because light isn't be restricted. On the other hand, matte screens don't have a glare on them.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Once I was in a Starbucks typing away on my MacBook Pro when a girl, enamored with my individuality and impressed with my savvy consumerism, sat down next to me. We later ended up having sex.

No viruses

How do you now she had no viruses? [​IMG]

I used Mac for years and was frequently frustrated by the inability to do what I wanted. It seemed to overly constrain options, even as simple as moving files. It must be different now, but I'd rather get by with more cost efficient pcs.

I like the "I'm a PC" ads, too. [​IMG]

12. mink31

mink31 Senior member

Huh?

You mean CMYK? Someone whose in the graphics industry who uses both gimp and photoshop regularly claims to have done a complete feature comparison on both. Supposedly there's only two things in photoshop that gimp doesn't have. CMYK is one of them, don't remember what the other was.

Yeah, I replaced CMYK with "whatever" because I was sure I wasn't entirely accurate. Thanks. [​IMG]

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I have been using an iMac at home since 2003 and I love it. The O/S is the best on the planet in my experience and the bundled software like iLife is excellent. I also receive stellar customer service whenever I go into the Apple store for advice or maintenance.

Whatever you do, think about the after-sale service in addition to upfront price.

14. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I have been using an iMac at home since 2003 and I love it. The O/S is the best on the planet in my experience and the bundled software like iLife is excellent. I also receive stellar customer service whenever I go into the Apple store for advice or maintenance.

Whatever you do, think about the after-sale service in addition to upfront price.

Have you had occasion to replace the rather whimpy iMac power cord with an audiophile version yet?

15. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

I also receive stellar customer service whenever I go into the Apple store for advice or maintenance.
    That is a very valid point...you can take it to your nearby Apple store. Not so with most other brands. Also their phone support is very good and...oh my God...the US call center is in the US.

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

THIS.

17. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

THIS.

Yes, Apple call centres are regional. The Asia-Pacific call centres are in Sydney and Tokyo. Europe is in Cork. There may be some others.

18. whodini

whodini Senior member

Another +1 on getting AppleCare. I've done it with all of my macs and have never regretted it. A few weeks after buying the iMac I'm on now the dvd drive went out. I called Apple and within 30 mins had a new drive shipped to me overnight. The next day I had the new drive installed in about five minutes and the old one sent back to them. Easy.

19. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

Because it's endorsed by Gandhi, Einstein and Muhammad Ali.
    They all wore khakis too.

Have you had occasion to replace the rather whimpy iMac power cord with an audiophile version yet?

Awesoma power!!!!!

20. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

That is a very valid point...you can take it to your nearby Apple store. Not so with most other brands. Also their phone support is very good and...oh my God...the US call center is in the US.

The call center support is among the best I have had in any field. Simply outstanding!

Let me make an imperfect analogy: My wife drives a Toyota and I drive a Lexus. While the Toyota has been a great car, the local dealerships are horrible and thieves. I have to take her car in for service to make sure she doesn't get robbed. I will never buy another Toyota again even though the car is well made.

My Lexus while certainly more expensive than say an Avalon is an amazingly well built vehicle. Everything from paint quality to engine is perfect. When I take it in for service, I get a loaner RX or ES immediately and drive off for the day in a car with low miles. The service center does its job perfectly and if I happen to stay around in the Lexus "business center" for wifi and after-hours work I am treated like a king.

Was the convenience of the dealer after-sale experience worth the extra $10K I paid for the ES? Hell yes. Plus there are more features like my Levinson sound system over the Avalon and the resale is higher.

I think to some degree the luxury premium of $300-500 for a Mac is very well worth it just like it was for my Lexus.