• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Selvedge over mall brands: basic Q's

afawoihf

Reaction score
Seriously, mall brands for denim (7, Rock and Republic, True Religion, and of course everyone's fav Diesel) get a lot of crap, but what do these super premium dry demin Japanese brands offer me?

With these mall brands, maybe they are over priced, but at least most people recognize the names.

Also, I would know the exact fit when I bought them, and not have to wear something that feels like Kevlar for a month just for it draw even with the wash on some other jean.

There definitely something cool about breaking in your own denim, being part of some exclusive fashion cult where only the highly fashionable will recognize, but for most people, the standard brands will prob be cooler.

I'm about to make my first good denim purchase soon, so why would I want to choose APC/Nudie over say a Deisel/TR?

Thanks for the replies! (newb here, maybe I just need a nudge in the right direction)

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
The only reason I buy a brand is because other people can recognize it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. The only purpose served by my clothing is to inform people of trendy/rich I am and to allow me to get service in restaurants.

afawoihf

Reaction score
Ha! Loving the sarcasm, pretty accurate for me (sadly).
Really though, would you fork over $300 for a single piece of clothing that was totally uncool? I seriously doubt it.

Quality and comfort are def factors, but ultimately, clothing is about expression, and if others aren't going to appreciate, then why not go to JC Penny or Kohls?

Thanks for the reply!

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ No kidding. People realize how well-off I am just by looking at my asses.

Now I can (finally!!!) get a taste of how it feels like to be a chick. Woohooooo!!!

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I chose to express my appreciation for quality, well made, well fitting brands by purchasing them. I don't enjoy being a banner for a generic mall brand. Also, value is derived from personal appreciation. Your definition of cool and mine are probably different; regardless of your opinion (or the popular opinion) of an item, my opinion is the only one that counts.

afawoihf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I chose to express my appreciation for quality, well made, well fitting brands by purchasing them. I don't enjoy being a banner for a generic mall brand. Also, value is derived from personal appreciation. Your definition of cool and mine are probably different; regardless of your opinion (or the popular opinion) of an item, my opinion is the only one that counts.
This is a very good point. Thanks for bringing it up!

I guess my question is a more practical one then, can TR really be chargin $300 for something that is low quality and poorly made? (Although I still think the mall brands have the edge on fit, considering I know what they will fit like).

This is the sort of objective point I'm trying to get a handle on, sorry for leading us astray. Thanks again!

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont care if people know what brand my jeans are. I prefer to wear dior homme jeans because the fit looks good on me and its good quality. Every one in my school wears 7fam, R&R, CoH, etc. The whole I idea of having those ugly labels on the pockets makes me cringe.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by afawoihf
This is a very good point. Thanks for bringing it up!

I guess my question is a more practical one then, can TR really be chargin $300 for something that is low quality and poorly made? (Although I still think the mall brands have the edge on fit, considering I know what they will fit like).

This is the sort of objective point I'm trying to get a handle on, sorry for leading us astray. Thanks again!

Yes. They can, and do, charge $300 for poorly made, ugly jeans. All denim is not created equal.

brohymn

Reaction score
"mall brand jeans"? TRs, 7fam, and R&Rs are sold at generally higher class stores than your average Anchor Blue or Spencer's Gifts. What kind of weird malls are you guys going to?

Call them "celebrity trash jeans". Although, "bullshit status jeans" has a better ring to it.

Doctor Quack

Reaction score
My reasons are kind of subjective, so you can take with a grain of salt if you want, but here they are:

1. I generally do not like pre-distressed jeans, which eliminates most mall brands ("premium" or otherwise) from consideration. It's not washes so much as it is illogical whiskering, wear, and placement of holes. These things just look fake. I also don't like some of the pocket designs, embroidery, or other "features" of certain brands (who know who they are).

2. I don't have a very "typical" size. My waist is small, approximately 27/28 inches. Many brands/designers do not go below a 28 inch waist, and their 28s often fit more like 29s. Finding jeans that fit in the waist is sometimes very difficult with mall brands. Compounding this "problem" are my longer than average legs. I can barely get by with 32 inch inseams and much rather prefer 34 inches (at the least; I likes mah stackz). Finding 27/34 or 28/34 in retail stores is very difficult.

3. Wearing well-known brands or "popular" jeans is not something I care about. It's not like I avoid "popular" things (consciously, anyway), I just don't place a high priority on brand identification and such.

4. Even if my size is available in the "premium" brands, there is no guarantee that the jeans have the fit that I want.

5. The jeans popular on SF actually feel like they're worth the money they cost.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People generally make their consumer choices based on several criteria, and the order of importance varies from person to person. Assuming that the price is equal, you are left with 1)wish to be associated with a particular group, and 2) perception of quality.

The people on this forum are hobbyist, and make a big deal out of 2, but 1 is likewise important. The OP is wrong when he assumes that hobbyists do not care about what "others appreciate".

Quality and comfort are def factors, but ultimately, clothing is about expression, and if others aren't going to appreciate, then why not go to JC Penny or Kohls?
It is just that the "others" who constitute the peer group are quite different. I see some dude in True Religions, and I don't think "What a cool guy, those are some nice jeans. And expensive too! He must be a playa." I think "Douche". Yes, it is recognizable to me, but the associations are overwhelmingly negative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads