• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

junior varsity

Reaction score
so i have several poplin dress shirts by different italian fashion houses but all of them are so easily wrinkled that 15 minutes after putting them on, they are already looking like they just came out of the dryer. i iron my own shirts and when it comes to those shirts i heavily starch them, and it still doesnt work... also, when ironing those poplin shirts, they are so much more difficult press than the cotton counterparts from say brooksbrothers. so what is the point of making high end shirts in poplin?
plain.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most of brooks brothers shirts are non-iron. They have this coating on them. It makes for a shirt that deteriorates quicker.

Poplin wrinkles, that is just the way it is. I have accepted this and learned to kind of enjoy the "sprezzatura" of a wrinkled poplin shirt... If they are superfine, like over 120/2 x 120/2 they will feel softer, more luxurious, however more wrinkle prone. Buy shirts that are in the 100's and they will wrinkle less.

Also, I have found that pinpoint cloth does not wrinkle as much, however is a bit heavier than poplin. You might want to go that route as well.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i have poplin shirts made in 100/2 from better Italian mills that feel great and do not wrinkle much.
I also have a 140/2 broadcloth/poplin that is very densely constructed that feels great and does not wrinkle as much as a lighter-weight version.

Xenon

Reaction score
May I suggest Twill instead of poplin (plain weave). I have many shirts in both twill and plain weave in the same coton (same NE, manufacturer and similar weight) and clearly the twill is more wrinkle resistent.

Interestingly the twill seems softer where the plain weave seems to have a much dryer hand. The twill is as thin and light but feels more substantial somehow, just much nicer in my opinion. Because of this twill is now my absolute favorite and I will pick a plain weave only if it is an exclusive pattern not available in twill (which unfortuneately occurs often)

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
May I suggest Twill instead of poplin (plain weave). I have many shirts in both twill and plain weave in the same coton (same NE, manufacturer and similar weight) and clearly the twill is more wrinkle resistent. Interestingly the twill seems softer where the plain weave seems to have a much dryer hand. The twill is as thin and light but feels more substantial somehow, just much nicer in my opinion. Because of this twill is now my absolute favorite and I will pick a plain weave only if it is an exclusive pattern not available in twill (which unfortuneately occurs often)
is twill readily available for off the rack?? almost everything available at dept stores or the malls (thomas pink, armani collezioni etc etc) are basically all poplin... i think only more conservative shirt makers like brooks brothers make standard cotton by the way, is poplin more durable than cotton?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of these brands could be broadcloth, which is much lighter and wrinkle prone than poplin.

Poplin is cotton. It is just the weave that makes it "poplin".

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
poplin=broadcloth
various qualities from 40/1-240/2 still poplin/broadcloth

twill is also a weave. again, lots of qualities
some are smooth finished, some have a bit of a brushed feel

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH

Poplin is cotton. It is just the weave that makes it "poplin".

Exactly.

Poplin = Broadcloth = Plain weave. All 3 are equivalent nowadays and can be found in any type of material (coton, silk, linen, wool ect)

Twill is a type of weave that has a diagonal appearance to it. It can also be found in any type of material (coton, silk, linen, wool ect)

Poplin and twill weaves are both popular (poplin a little more prevalent) in RTW.

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
poplin=broadcloth
various qualities from 40/1-240/2 still poplin/broadcloth

twill is also a weave. again, lots of qualities
some are smooth finished, some have a bit of a brushed feel

Sorry shirtmaven didn't see your post.

DJA now has a shirting called Cullinan it is a 300/2 available in both twill and poplin. I have the twill only but this stuff is as decadent as silk but a whole lot more durable. Sadly there are only 4 solid colors available (5 in poplin).

Do you know any twill in the 240/2? All the DJA (except for cullinan) and Monti stop at 200/2 for twill. 240/2 seems to only exist in poplin weave.

Matt S

Reaction score
Almost all of my shirts are poplin and I never have a wrinkle problem. Poplin does not take starch very well, so don't even bother. Starch works better on pinpoint or oxford shirts when the start has something to grab on to. Poplin is a smooth fabric and is more formal. It's comfortable in summer heat, yet it looks great year-round under a formal suit.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
DJA now has a shirting called Cullinan it is a 300/2 available in both twill and poplin.

Are you sure? I thought 220/2 was the max these days?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Are you sure? I thought 220/2 was the max these days?

There are several 300/2 cloths these days. Bring $$$.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads