Why people go to Steak Houses?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by dkzzzz, Nov 8, 2007.

1. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I love a good stake, but I prefer it through the heart.

Anyone's in particular?

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I'd say that there are at least 5 types of places that make a good steak - chicago style steak houses (and I am broadly throwing in all the american traditional places in that), italian grill places, brazilian steak places, argentinian steak places, and steak frittes places. and that is just in my expereince - you may add to that a few others. each is very different, and each has its own value.

if you think that an americna steak place doesn't serve a good steak then you're tastes are skewed.

3. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Anyone who ever has the chance to come to Sydney, Hurricanes at Bondi is the best steak house around..

you'll regret missing it

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I am not a big fan of steakhouses. I admit that the atmosphere can be fun, but I prefer to eat a steak cooked at home.

I can dig that: asado casero [​IMG]

Jon.

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

asado casero [​IMG]
    Speak English.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Although I would never admit agreeing with dkzzzz, I must say that I am a little tired of steakhouses always being the go-to choice for client dinners in my line of work. There seems to be a complete lack of imagination when taking clients out to dinner and a no-risk attitude that translates into ending up 90% of the time at Sparks, Del Frisco or the likes... [​IMG]

7. Homme

Homme Senior member

Anyone who ever has the chance to come to Sydney, Hurricanes at Bondi is the best steak house around..

you'll regret missing it

Was there last week. The steak was very very good, but i want to visit "i'm Angus" before i call it the best in Sydney.

8. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I happen to think those samples that certain booths at farmers' markets hand out are really unappealing.

I actually find most farmers at the markets to be rather unappealing. I don't expect a sportscoat and tie but I also don't need to see the black dirt under your fingernails, I believe you are a farmer even without it. Can't stay away from the tomatoes though, I just can't stay away.

Brasilian steakhouses. That's how you do it.

Horrible. Perfect for the American market. Tons of poorly cooked, poor quality meat that is indistinguishable from the next. And a huge salad bar. All for one price! The best dishes at these places are almsot always the sides and the pork dishes.

It's about packing a lot of little tastes and flavors into your mid-day meal.

And some spittle [​IMG]

There seems to be a complete lack of imagination when taking clients out to dinner and a no-risk attitude that translates into ending up 90% of the time at Sparks, Del Frisco or the likes... [​IMG]

What are you, French or something???? [​IMG]

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What are you, French or something???? [​IMG]
    Them's no fighting words... Thanks for the compliment [​IMG]

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

If you were to stereotype anymore I'd start to think you're Bill O'Reilly.

It's hard to get good falafel in a steakhouse.

11. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

(on brasilian steak)
    Horrible. Perfect for the American market. Tons of poorly cooked, poor quality meat that is indistinguishable from the next. And a huge salad bar. All for one price! The best dishes at these places are almsot always the sides and the pork dishes.

Could not be more wrong. Although I've never been to one in the US, churrascarias are one of the most delicious experiences available to man.

12. sonick

sonick Senior member

You say you like a good stake [sic], but you want it marinated and smothered in a sauce? You've no idea what a good steak tastes like. A good piece of meat needs nothing more than kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. The steak oozes its own saucy goodness, no need for anything else.

I had my steak tonight seared medium rare, with nothing more than salt and pepper. Simple and delicious.

QFT.

13. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Could not be more wrong. Although I've never been to one in the US, churrascarias are one of the most delicious experiences available to man.

If you have never eaten in one in the US, how can you know that I am wrong about these shitholes in the US??

14. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Do people really think the quality of beef they get from their local supermarket is even close to the one's used at top notch (not bad chains like the OP seems to frequent) steakhouses?

I actually went to one of the best steakhouses in Orlando this past week with family and my steak was absolutely fantastic. I usually get it medium rare or medium though. I'm not hardcore enough for rare. La Cantina (not actually a spanish place despite the name) on east colonial if any people in the area are interested. Family owned place and has been there for a long time.

I will agree though that the majority of chain steakhouses that are popular around here are terrible as far as steak quality and taste. Longhorn, texas roadhouse, roadhouse grill, etc... But the same goes with most popular chain restaurants.

15. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

If you have never eaten in one in the US, how can you know that I am wrong about these shitholes in the US??

Just...just..just...BECAUSE.

I have no idea, actually. Kneejerk reaction. Sorry.