1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why people go to Steak Houses?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by dkzzzz, Nov 8, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I was picking up some lunch takeout from a restaurant that has a buffet. There was a woman filling up her plastic feeding bowl with chicken, fish, ribs, rice, salad etc etc and she came to the mashed potatoes . She grabbed the serving spoon, took some mash, tasted it directly from the spoon, didn't like it and placed the spoon back in the heap of powdered mashed potatoes. I'm sure the next person that grabbed some mash loved them.

Was she wearing an unnecessarily colorful mumu?

It's anecdotes like these that make me believe that maybe those Andy-ites and their bemoaning of declining standards have a point.

2. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

It's anecdotes like these that make me believe that maybe those Andy-ites and their bemoaning of declining standards have a point.

They need to re-capture India where standards are uniformly on a rise.

3. KBW

KBW Senior member

I guess I'm from the south unlike most of you it seems but we eat beef at least twice a week. I prefer doing the grilling myself and having people over to a steakhouse.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Balki, I have no idea wtf you are going on about.

Jon.

5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

LOL, "re-capture." [​IMG]

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

What I'd like to know is why people go to buffets?

Well where else can you get food that some shit-fingered kid has touched or 400# cow in jogging pants has coughed on?

7. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Balki, I have no idea wtf you are going on about.

Jon.

Be carefull, stupidity is habit forming.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think buffets would be a prime locale for photography--a sort of tragically beautiful yet scathing Diane Arbus bit of business.

I'd entitle it Human Trough.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

QED

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

FYI, it's spelled: careful.

Jon.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I think buffets would be a prime locale for photography--a sort of tragically beautiful yet scathing Diane Arbus bit of business.

I'd entitle it Human Trough.

And you can ntitle one of the pictures with the oversized Americans stuffing their plates: Pig.

Jon.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member

FYI, it's spelled: careful.

Jon.

You sir have never been to Argentina.

Jon.

You may want to mix in a comma every once in awhile before criticizing spelling and grammar.

I am not a big fan of steakhouses. I admit that the atmosphere can be fun, but I prefer to eat a steak cooked at home.

Buffets are vile things. The only things less appetizing are the little samples at third rate grocery stores that have been sitting around all day.

13. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

My mouth is watering...

14. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

And you can ntitle one of the pictures with the oversized Americans stuffing their plates: Pig.

Jon.

It is spelled : title.

When you have nothing to say , or not sure what to say and when, the best thing is , well not to say anything.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It is spelled : entitle.

When you have nothing to say , or are not sure what to say and orwhen, the best thing is , well not to say anything.

QED II.

16. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

QED II.

Your 5th grade grammar skills impress me much more than your thoughts.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I am curious, as I have never enjoyed any.
    I have been to many S-houses, since my friends and co-workers prefer them to real restaurants, but I always been deeply disappointed with food and service.
    Service aside.., I can go along with certain vulgar familiarity from the waiter, but food? What about food?

It is barely cooked , sauce-less, never marinated, barely sprinkled with some salt and for side order ....drum-roll you can have carrots and mashed potatoes....

WTF?

Why folks are calling raw cube of meet with mash potatoes a cuisine, if it does not require any real skill or cooking for that matter.
    What is the attraction? Is this a cultural thing?

I think you might need to try something different than The Sizzler to get a real appreciation of a good steak house.

I mean, sauceless? I usually get mine "Oscar" style, that is, with Hollandaise sauce and lump crab meat over it. I usually start with something light, like an ahi appy or a nice fresh mozz with juicy beefsteak tomatos with aged balsamic. Side, seared mushroom caps and grilled asparagus. Dessert is usually a creme brulee for two. They almost always have a nice 30-40 year old true vintage port for dessert too.

Something just tells me you need a better quality of co-worker and/or friends.

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

You may want to mix in a comma every once in awhile before criticizing spelling and grammar.

I am not a big fan of steakhouses. I admit that the atmosphere can be fun, but I prefer to eat a steak cooked at home.

Buffets are vile things. The only things less appetizing are the little samples at third rate grocery stores that have been sitting around all day.

I happen to think those samples that certain booths at farmers' markets hand out are really unappealing.

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Your 5th grade grammar skills impress me much more than your thoughts.

It's tough to get much out of a book you can't read.

20. kakemono

kakemono Senior member

I like medium-raw steak. A properly cooked steak needs no sauce on it.

Every meal had to have its meet, its potatoes, its bread, and milk. Its the all-american blue-collar meal.