• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why oh why do English Shoemakers make most of their shoes in narrow/medium fits??????

miurasv

Reaction score
I have terrible trouble buying shoes wide enough. Most of the shoes I like from Crocket & Jones, Trickers, Cheaney, AS, Church's etc only come in E and F fits. Needless to say I have very painful corns on my little toes. Surely they'd sell more shoes if they just made some wider ones.

miurasv

Reaction score
It's probably true of shoemakers the world over but why?

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Not my experience. I have a narrow foot and I have a terrible time finding anything that fits. All of my recent purchases have been special orders.

stillerfan07

Reaction score
Can't you just stretch the shoe after you buy it? Don't cobblers usually have shoe stretchers?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Agreed.

(And the English secretly bind their feet like the old Chinese custom. They'll deny it of course. Let their denial be a symbol of their guilt.)

lovelux2010

Reaction score
i wear a "g" in crockett and jones..which really limits the types of shoes one can wear..
try on the radstock if you're looking for an oxford toe cap, derby, drummond (wing tip/brogue), a monk, and some of the country boots and walking shoes - all available in G..

but you wont be able to choose your colours..small selection, but better than nothing..

otherwise churchs will make anything in a g for a small fee (candj can do the same but the price doubles)..

barkers are wide, loakes come in wide fittings..

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the stainless steel foot bind is shaped exactly like an 888 - with a beveled waist

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all that fizzy beer you drink. The CO2 makes your feet swell. Switch to cask ales and all will be well.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size up and use insoles/thicker socks. I run a size larger for walking boots and they fit perfect with this remedy.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miurasv
I have terrible trouble buying shoes wide enough. Most of the shoes I like from Crocket & Jones, Trickers, Cheaney, AS, Church's etc only come in E and F fits. Needless to say I have very painful corns on my little toes. Surely they'd sell more shoes if they just made some wider ones.

I have terrible trouble buying shoes narrow enough, I want fitting B or C.
That's the reason why I recently French got shoes, JM Weston's classic loafer in 8 B.

Surely they'd sell more English shoes if they just made some narrow ones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you actually tried Tricker's? They mark them 'E' or '5', but their shoes are really, really wide (and short)!

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can call them medium all they want, but they're still wide a **** to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads