• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why NY is Great!

samblau

Reaction score
Last night I took a girl I have been chasing for three months from my dodgeball team out. We see each other at dodgeball and she is super-friendly, I e-mail her, she responds when she feels like it...and finally, after making tentative plans on Friday...she e-mails me her phone # at noon yesterday and does not return my call until 6PM. I don't have much experience with the cat and mouse game...maybe its just us crazy NYers.

I had the night planned out perfectly...go to the LES and eat at a BYOB Greek/North African restaurant called Elyssa Dido which is listed on menupages and its own active website as being located at 85 Orchard St. Have a bottle of wine and Il Laboratorio Gelato is up the block. Turns out now its a dif restaurant an the gelato place closes early! No matter...the place is now called Little Giant and was really good! A bit more $$$ than I thought, 2 drinks, 2 apps 2 main were $95 + tip. I had an asparagus salad with pancetta and a duck egg...really good...she had a dandelion salad...for main I had black sea bass over an avocado salad with some heirloom tomatos, she had a duck confit...all really good.....and best of all she is a girl who likes BEER, I had a Turbodog and she had a Bluepoint Toasted Lager. All really good...its a nice small place and I recommend to anyone going to LES willing to pay IMO slightly above average prices. After we ate and found out the gelato place was closed she took me to a cupcake place she knew of...I had the super chocolate and she had red velvet which was small but I still had to make the ultimate sacrifice and help her finish. As mothers day is tomorrow she left pretty early, 10 ish BUT right before I got the "so..next week???" which is pretty good!

10 was too early for me so I met my guy friends for beers and 2:30 AM street food. Didn't know what to do, normally I am the one asking others as opposed to telling about my dates.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sound like a fun night with some time for the girl and some time for the buddies.

We've been meaning to go to Little Giant. Heard lots of good things about it.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How cuuuuuute.
tounge.gif

Living in a major metropolitan city rocks! DC is second tier, but it's been getting better. If only we could get the Metro to run all night.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice job. let us know how the second date goes.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like you had lots of fun... good luck with the second date.

lithium180

Reaction score
Yeah, NYC makes dating pretty ******* easy as long as you've got some jacksons in the clip! Nice work, son!
thumbs-up.gif

samblau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
Yeah, NYC makes dating pretty ******* easy as long as you've got some jacksons in the clip! Nice work, son!
thumbs-up.gif

Not if you are a neurotic mess from Long Island!

I kid I kid...a little.

Yes, NY is unimaginably expensive. My choice is to go out nice when I do go out i.e. not waste money on $9 sandwiches during the week, use the subway (not cabs) and look for good values wherever possible. (Right now my go-to place on Sunday nights is Wharf, .30 cent wings, $3.50 certain drafts)...I am also young and have not hit my earnings peak. Eventually I want to start saving a lot more and unlike mnay jaded NYers I can deal with moving back to Brooklyn.

Anyway....here is my issue now...and one I could use some help with from the tech savy younger folk on the board....on Friday, after I e-mailed her but before we had definite plans she changed her Facebook status to "in a relationship, its complicated"...shes a smart girl with a Masters Degree...I am concerned BC 1. if it is me thats pretty fast 2. if there is someone else and I am the "complicator" that would be a first 3. is she just screwing with me to see if there will be a reaction (wouldn't surprise me) 4. she might just be screwing around (although she has never had a relationship status).

Now I really like this girl...and even though I am 26 I was pretty much an immature fat ass in college and then got hurt after setting me back pretty far before I morphed into work-out-a-holic 6' Manhattanite lawyer. Essentially I have no clue and want to expand my opinions to beyond my 26 yr old jack ass friends and 30+ married guys who don't care any more (no offense!).

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblau
Not if you are a neurotic mess from Long Island! I kid I kid...a little. Yes, NY is unimaginably expensive. My choice is to go out nice when I do go out i.e. not waste money on $9 sandwiches during the week, use the subway (not cabs) and look for good values wherever possible. (Right now my go-to place on Sunday nights is Wharf, .30 cent wings, $3.50 certain drafts)...I am also young and have not hit my earnings peak. Eventually I want to start saving a lot more and unlike mnay jaded NYers I can deal with moving back to Brooklyn. Anyway....here is my issue now...and one I could use some help with from the tech savy younger folk on the board....on Friday, after I e-mailed her but before we had definite plans she changed her Facebook status to "in a relationship, its complicated"...shes a smart girl with a Masters Degree...I am concerned BC 1. if it is me thats pretty fast 2. if there is someone else and I am the "complicator" that would be a first 3. is she just screwing with me to see if there will be a reaction (wouldn't surprise me) 4. she might just be screwing around (although she has never had a relationship status). Now I really like this girl...and even though I am 26 I was pretty much an immature fat ass in college and then got hurt after setting me back pretty far before I morphed into work-out-a-holic 6' Manhattanite lawyer. Essentially I have no clue and want to expand my opinions to beyond my 26 yr old jack ass friends and 30+ married guys who don't care any more (no offense!).
honestly, try not too look too much into facebook profile and changes. You have no idea why she did that, maybe it was a joke with her friends, maybe she was trying to **** with your mind, etc etc. You will pull your hair out if you try to reason it out, and its not worth it. What is important, however, is the second date. Focus your energy on that, and make sure that it goes as well. These are the things you can control, so put your best effort into them. Don't even bring it up in conversation with her, and if she feels it is related to you and you should know, she will bring it up herself. Good luck.

lithium180

Reaction score
Agreed!

I pretty much completely axed facebook and related sites from my life because I found myself doing reconnaissance on people that I wanted to get to know better, then bringing presuppositions into the relationship that were largely unsubstantiated and definitely over-complicating. I think people have to get to know each other over time and through natural discourse.
satisfied.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know a lot of girls "in relationships" with other girls on facebook. I woulnd't worry about it.

PS - Maybe I missed it, but you never mentioned why NY is great.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys aren't really a couple for at least a few months, so unless you've already discussed exclusivity (please tell me you didn't) you should assume she is seeing other people. Even so, that doesn't mean you're out of the game, just means you might have some competition. Play it cool and don't say anything... if it's your business at this point in your "relationship" she'll let you know.

Also, girls tend to mark that they're in relationships on social networking sites so random guys don't bug/stalk them. Not everyone who's a friend really is.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who noticed that the meeting was via a dodgeball team? I didn't even know such things really existed, outside of Vince Vaughn / Ben Stiller fantasy worlds.

That's what makes NYC great - that you can play on a dodgeball team. I wish we were that progressive in Raleigh - we just got roller derby a few years ago (go Rollergirls!)

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Am I the only one who noticed that the meeting was via a dodgeball team? I didn't even know such things really existed, outside of Vince Vaughn / Ben Stiller fantasy worlds.

That's what makes NYC great - that you can play on a dodgeball team. I wish we were that progressive in Raleigh - we just got roller derby a few years ago (go Rollergirls!)

+1000. Raleigh blows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads