• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why no love for the windsor knot?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

German Stuff? Yes. I drive a German car

Them Beetles are pretty gay cars. Unless its yellow and has Autobot symbol on it, in which case its pretty cool.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
I have no use for them as I go for the bowtie, but I think they look just fine on other men and do not see a problem with it.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the tie, collar and mood: I use all three full , half and fih. I'm not a dimplepimp so if I get a dimple fine, if not , fine.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use to only wear FIH... but now I use Half Windsor.

HughJ

Reaction score

Some of us eschew the Windsor Knot for political reasons.
The late Duke of Windsor was ( possibly inadvertently)
known for his pro Nazi sympathies to the extent that the
British Government "exiled" their ex-King and appointed him
as Governor of the Bahamas, where he was under the watchful eye
of the US and UK .

http://nytimes.com/1996/12/04/news/04iht-dukes.t.html

I've read that it was named after Edward VII. This picture appears to lend credence to the theory that he preferred thicker ties, but not necessarily Windsor knots.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was very glad to find this thread! I was harangued constantly when seeking opinions on my wedding fit for using full Windsor knots. But, with this collar, and these lapels, what else could have been right? Very glad I stuck to my guns.

jt10000

Reaction score
I've always used a FIH, perhaps because it's what I learned when I was a boy. I think another name for it is the "schoolboy knot." Never learned the others, though I've tried the Pratt knot a few times.

And I like the narrow, slightly askew look of the FIH.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, for me it depends on the tie.

I use the half windsor, Fih, and pratt.

Edit: I've played with the double fih a little as well.

Last edited:

StephenB

Reaction score
Wear a suit every day for work, and only wear a windsor knot.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There really are at least three variables at work:

(1) neck size;
(2) collar type;
(3) tie width and heaviness.

My neck is size 15. I wear a variety of collars ranging from tab to wide spread (and even the occasional button down). While I mostly do a FIH knot, with a lightweight tie and a wide spread collar I've been known to use either a half Windsor or a Pratt depending on the specific tie.

On the other hand I've got several Ike Behar ties which I like a lot but which are so thick and heavy that with my small neck it would be unimaginable to use anything but a FIH.

Frankly, I'm doubtful of claims that any one knot is best for all necks, collars, and ties. I think people should keep an open mind and experiment with what they've got.

Cheers,

Ac

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I'm doubtful of claims that any one knot is best for all necks, collars, and ties. I think people should keep an open mind and experiment with what they've got.

THANK YOU! You need to become a regular in the Wedding Attire thread, to combat the Knotzis who would tell a man with a 24" neck, wearing a full spread collar, and a thin tie to use a four in hand, and look like a bolo tie.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

THANK YOU!  You need to become a regular in the Wedding Attire thread, to combat the Knotzis who would tell a man with a 24" neck, wearing a full spread collar, and a thin tie to use a four in hand, and look like a bolo tie.

A 24" neck?! Who on earth has a 24" neck? Someone of such a freakish size should obviously be wearing custom ties that are scaled up appropriately, thus allowing for a four-in-hand that is proportioned correctly. Indeed, I am a "Knotzi" who says the FIH (or double FIH) is the only knot you need to know. :nodding:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 24" neck?! Who on earth has a 24" neck? Someone of such a freakish size should obviously be wearing custom ties that are scaled up appropriately, thus allowing for a four-in-hand that is proportioned correctly. Indeed, I am a "Knotzi" who says the FIH (or double FIH) is the only knot you need to know.
nod[1].gif

And a two button navy blue suit with flap pockets and notch lapels is the only suit you NEED to own. Should we all wear only that suit? And, of course, custom ties are a dime a dozen, aren't they? But, you're right - screw it, let's skip straight to the blue coveralls :p

And it's called a very obese gentleman. My high school social studies teacher was a very large man, and wore a double Windsor every day. One could argue that a Windsor was enough, but a four in hand wide enough to cover his collar spread would have required a 5" wide tie, like this one:

Lovely FIH he's got going on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads