Why no love for the windsor knot?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AlmostSmart, Mar 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I will tie a half-windsor with a particularly wide spread collar, or a tie that ties a really skinny knot. I used to ONLY tie a Windsor before I came here.

Mike

So, who bullied you into stopping? [​IMG]

2. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

your sig has been waiting for this thread

Now if someone would start a Ramones thread ...

3. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I tend to wear a St. Andrews Knot. I like starting backwards.

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

the vast majority of my shirts have spread collars, and I tie full windsors most often.

why?

I like the symmetry, and I like the size. No, my knots are not nba commentator sized.

5. Grigory

Grigory Senior member

99.9% of Russian officials wear half-windsor, except for president Medvedev who prefers FIH

6. heaven7

heaven7 Senior member

I do FIH and Half-Windsors mostly, just for the sake of variation. It actually has to do with how the tie knots and what kind of collar I'm wearing, but I mostly vary between these two. Every now and then I try a double FIH.

7. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

The first knot I learned was a half-windsor, which I've never liked. Before SF I always tied a Windsor, but then through WAYWRN I fell for the double FIH, which is almost all I wear now. Sometimes if a tie is too thick or something I'll wear just a FIH.

On the odd occasion that I want a slightly larger more triangular knot I tend to use the Pratt instead of the Windsor, because having adapted to the DFIH I just find a windsor too damn big for any of my collars and the pratt makes a better dimple.

8. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

FIH for me-- mostly because I'm too dumb to learn and remember all the other ones.

9. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Not very attractive, but if you're in the UK and wearing it, it will give you that 'footballer'-look.

10. celeste_pista

celeste_pista Senior member

i'm split about 50/50 between 1/2 windsor and FIH...both have their place.

full windsor...no.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

FIH and double FIH, but only when I dont screw up the double FIH length 5x first. [​IMG]

12. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

I tie Windsor knots all the time...because my ties are so shitty quality that it makes sense. [​IMG]

13. superego

superego Senior member

Please tell me. Living and working in London, UK I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is the exclusive tie knot, but it is the most common one and one that I wear, especially with spread-collared shirts.

I have seen so many comments of late where new posters are posting pics, and they are slammed immediately because they have ties a windsor and not a FIH. And not always told in a gentle way, but pretty aggressive sometimes.

I have a feeling that the responses will be in the region of 95% against the 'windsor'.

It's just too bulky, particularly for ties with a heavy hand. Four in hand for me, or half windsor if I'm feeling crazy.

14. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

I almost always tie a four-in-hand, unless my tie is really heavy and I might tie a small knot. I like the look of a small, narrow four-in-hand knot with wide spread collar, as exemplified by HRH Prince Charles. I prefer to follow the royalty and wear four-in-hand knot. If I ever desire to tie a larger knot I'll use a double four-in-hand. I prefer the longer shape of a four-in-hand knot over the Windsor knot.

However, sometimes I might use a Windsor knot on a knit tie. A four-in-hand knot often turns out lumpy with a knit tie. I was convinced that it can look good after seeing Pierce Brosnan tie a knit in a small, tight Full Windsor knot in the 5th episode of Remington Steele.

15. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

I tend to wear a St. Andrews Knot. I like starting backwards.

I just learned that knot today - and it's awesome. I'm finding that with the exception of the double-wrapped FIH, all the knots I like start backwards. But for some reason I'm doing that double-wrapped FIH a lot. (What's that called, anyway?) It seems to fit with my collars and choice of tie.