1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why no love for the windsor knot?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AlmostSmart, Mar 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. AlmostSmart

AlmostSmart Senior member

Please tell me. Living and working in London, UK I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is the exclusive tie knot, but it is the most common one and one that I wear, especially with spread-collared shirts.

I have seen so many comments of late where new posters are posting pics, and they are slammed immediately because they have ties a windsor and not a FIH. And not always told in a gentle way, but pretty aggressive sometimes.

I have a feeling that the responses will be in the region of 95% against the 'windsor'.

2. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

I dont hate them.....I used to ONLY wear windsors....up until recently SF "inspired" me to try out the FIH. Its been my go to knot for months now....but i do find that there are a couple ties that just make too small of a knot with a FIH and paired with a spread collar it just needs a windsor.

3. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

I only wear a spread collar, so the windsor is my go-to knot.
    i approve.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

op, im not a fan of the full windsor

highjacked!

1/2 windsor, love it or hate it?

5. landshark

landshark Senior member

I used to wear only windsor and half windsor knots. Now I only wear four in hand and double four in hand knots. For me there are a few reasons why I prefer the FIH to the Windsor:

1. The shape of the knot. It's not quite symmetrical and can be pressed and shaped into flattering proportions.

2. Achieving a proper dimple is significantly easier with a FIH knot. A windsor knot can end up on the sides or have double or triple dimples. It just doesn't look good on a windsor

3. Removal. You can just pull the FIH knot and it will come undone. A windsor or 1/2 windsor will require loosening and then further unknotting afterwards.

4. Simplicity. FIH is a simpler and shorter process to tie than both a windsor and 1/2 windsor.

6. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

I find that now that I'm wearing nicer ties the material is much thicker. Putting an already big knot on a thick tie makes it look gigantic in my eyes.

7. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

I don't like the full windsor since the knot just gets too big (unless it is a super thin tie). And I don't like the NBA commentator signature look.

I mainly like the FIH and, from time to time, I tie a half-windsor...by the way I think both look very nice with spread collars.

8. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

i actually don't know how to tie them. never learned i guess. when it comes to neckwear i only know how to tie a fih and a bowtie.

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Because it's U - G - L - Y and it ain't got no alibi.

10. shawn$

shawn$ Active Member

Im a windsor type of guy. It was the 1st tie I learned how to tie and still my go to

11. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

I prefer the shelby knot or the half-windsor

12. AncientSoul

AncientSoul Well-Known Member

I used to wear only windsor and half windsor knots. Now I only wear four in hand and double four in hand knots. For me there are a few reasons why I prefer the FIH to the Windsor: 3. Removal. You can just pull the FIH knot and it will come undone. A windsor or 1/2 windsor will require loosening and then further unknotting afterwards.
    Nope.

13. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I do the half windsor. It's what my dad taught me and it's never been a problem for me.

14. landshark

landshark Senior member

Nope.

I don't know how you tie your FIH but if you loosen it where the small end is out, it will just unravel.

15. Patek

Patek Senior member

Another vote for the half. I find it just right with 3" or less ties.

16. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

I do the half windsor. It's what my dad taught me and it's never been a problem for me.

stellar avatar.
    *wipes brow*

17. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

They are slick and make a statement, but have to be used in the correct proportion to the rest of the fit and with the appropriate collar.

18. AncientSoul

AncientSoul Well-Known Member

I don't know how you tie your FIH but if you loosen it where the small end is out, it will just unravel.

I know that FIH is a self releasing tie. I highlighted the part in your quote that I didn't agree with. A Windsor knot is self releasing and a half windsor can also be self releasing (depending on where you start the loop in second stage).

19. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

It depends on the tie/collar...

20. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

full windsors are often tied poorly, giving the general knot type a bad name.

many ties are too thick to do a full windsor nicely, ie symetrical and a little full, but with a thick tie it ends up being huge (see first point)

this forum is a little USA skewed so the FIH is preferred. Also works better with OCBD's.