Why no love for the windsor knot?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AlmostSmart, Mar 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. AlmostSmart

AlmostSmart Senior member

Please tell me. Living and working in London, UK I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is the exclusive tie knot, but it is the most common one and one that I wear, especially with spread-collared shirts.

I have seen so many comments of late where new posters are posting pics, and they are slammed immediately because they have ties a windsor and not a FIH. And not always told in a gentle way, but pretty aggressive sometimes.

I have a feeling that the responses will be in the region of 95% against the 'windsor'.

2. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I dont hate them.....I used to ONLY wear windsors....up until recently SF "inspired" me to try out the FIH. Its been my go to knot for months now....but i do find that there are a couple ties that just make too small of a knot with a FIH and paired with a spread collar it just needs a windsor.

3. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

I only wear a spread collar, so the windsor is my go-to knot.
    i approve.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

op, im not a fan of the full windsor

highjacked!

1/2 windsor, love it or hate it?

5. landshark

landshark Senior member

I used to wear only windsor and half windsor knots. Now I only wear four in hand and double four in hand knots. For me there are a few reasons why I prefer the FIH to the Windsor:

1. The shape of the knot. It's not quite symmetrical and can be pressed and shaped into flattering proportions.

2. Achieving a proper dimple is significantly easier with a FIH knot. A windsor knot can end up on the sides or have double or triple dimples. It just doesn't look good on a windsor

3. Removal. You can just pull the FIH knot and it will come undone. A windsor or 1/2 windsor will require loosening and then further unknotting afterwards.

4. Simplicity. FIH is a simpler and shorter process to tie than both a windsor and 1/2 windsor.

6. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

I find that now that I'm wearing nicer ties the material is much thicker. Putting an already big knot on a thick tie makes it look gigantic in my eyes.

7. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

I don't like the full windsor since the knot just gets too big (unless it is a super thin tie). And I don't like the NBA commentator signature look.

I mainly like the FIH and, from time to time, I tie a half-windsor...by the way I think both look very nice with spread collars.

8. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

i actually don't know how to tie them. never learned i guess. when it comes to neckwear i only know how to tie a fih and a bowtie.

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Because it's U - G - L - Y and it ain't got no alibi.

10. shawn$

shawn$ Active Member

Im a windsor type of guy. It was the 1st tie I learned how to tie and still my go to

11. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

I prefer the shelby knot or the half-windsor

12. AncientSoul

AncientSoul Well-Known Member

I used to wear only windsor and half windsor knots. Now I only wear four in hand and double four in hand knots. For me there are a few reasons why I prefer the FIH to the Windsor: 3. Removal. You can just pull the FIH knot and it will come undone. A windsor or 1/2 windsor will require loosening and then further unknotting afterwards.
    Nope.

13. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I do the half windsor. It's what my dad taught me and it's never been a problem for me.

14. landshark

landshark Senior member

Nope.

I don't know how you tie your FIH but if you loosen it where the small end is out, it will just unravel.

15. Patek

Patek Senior member

Another vote for the half. I find it just right with 3" or less ties.