1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why no love for the three piece suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by andrew96, Jul 5, 2011.

1. iroh

iroh Senior member

3 piece suits are for people with inferior bodies, those who have to layer lots of clothes to look good. If you can look in a 2 piece suit you will be in much better shape since you have a better body. Better to have a nice body than nice clothes. Even better to have both.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

You have this backwards IMO

A fit person looks good in 3 piece suits and DB suits as well as 2 piece.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:lol:

4. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

5. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

6. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

I'm sure it's a nice suit. However, the sleeves are a bit short, those collars are much too open, and the overall effect is one of "LOOK AT ALL MY FUCKING MONEY!"

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I think that is not correct. My next suit is going to be like this one:

[​IMG]

I don't know about Spoo's build (body type) but the three piece suit doesn't look bad at all.

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I like the design or pattern or fabric (don't know how to call it) of the first one, but it is probably as a short as the second one.

9. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

I'm guessing that the models are around 6ft and in regulars. I tried on some of the PC suits at PS today for the first time and a long fit me well, just a little longer than the ones pictured. The most important part was that the sleeves actually were the right length. I've always found that if the sleeves start out too short then the body is guaranteed to be too short.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  10. iroh

iroh Senior member

looks very unsexy. if that is the look you are going for, then the 3 piece suit is what you need! (he is too skinny to wear a 3 peice suit well).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

As mentioned before, there's always a risk that a 3-piece suit will resemble a 'costume' as opposed to a 'suit' if it's too garish. I think the PS suit above has a nice and relatively conservative colour and pattern, but the shirt and tie tip it into costume territory.

In the work place, the 'Wallstreet' look can project professionalism and seriousness. Dressing like Gatsby will only make you stand out in a less than ideal way imho.

12. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

13. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

A three piece is a difficult thing to pull off. It doesn't work for every body type - especially, when it makes the person look young (big head, chubbiness, narrow shoulders).

John Slattery (Roger Sterling) is a well built man - no homo - he was seen in the current Mad Men season's finale, standing naked in front of a window, high on LSD. I dare say his level of fitness surpasses that of 99% of the users on SF. And he's around 50. Paired with his gray hair and bossy attitude, he makes the three piece work for him perfectly.

As for Spoo's pic, there are two things to be considered: Spoo is in good shape (supposedly, judging from other pics he's posted) and he's wearing Tom Ford.

14. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

Every single breasted suit I've had made since going MTM has had a vest. I love the way it looks, and with the jacket closed the vest is subtle. I wear them so often that it isn't anything unusual to me at this point - I almost feel unusual without a vest! 

The "rules" are similar to a double breasted suit: fit is crucial, dark colors and/or conservative patterns are easier to pull off, and confidence is key. Though I understand why someone in an entry level position would not want to wear a vest to avoid any chance of sticking out, it's not like showing up to work in a neon green suit. 

In my experience - and again pretty much all of my suits are in dark and/or  conservative colors - how I act has more of an effect on how I am perceived than whether or not I am wearing a vest. 

Believe me, if I thought my appearance was having a negative effect at work I would ditch the vests. I love windowpanes on others, but have no windowpane suits myself because I don't think I could wear them at work without sticking out in a negative fashion.

15. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

I'd go a bit further and say you don't even have to be athletic -- they look perfectly fine on thin men.

16. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Why wouldn't someone get a 3 piece? It's a suit, a suit with a vest, slacks, sports coat, vest, any combo you want it to be. Almost all of mine are 3 pieces just so I have the option any time.

I love the 3 piece. And in Phoenix, it's often too hot for a jacket so a vest is formal enough.

17. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

I only wear three piece. Fit and style are always important, in a two piece or a three, so I don't see a reason to single out the three. That PS number is not my cup of tea, but I beyond style issues, the model has all these demure poses - looking down, looking away, etc. You wear a pattern like that and you need to own it. He's not and it shows. Like fit, confidence always matters.

Being tall, a three piece lets me buy any length tie as the shortness is hidden by the vest.. You don't realize how great that is unless you have the problem.

Here's how you can rock the 3-piece in the heat while being skinny:
    [​IMG]

Have a laugh and then check out the sleeve length. Google some other pics too.

18. kimcohn

kimcohn New Member

These look good on TV only. They look so formal if we thing for causal wearing. Even for offices one can't work so comfortably wearing those suits for the whole day.

letterpress

19. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

When you own your own midget, you can dress however you want. True story.

20. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

In reading some of the comments in this thread, and as the owner of no less than seven three-piece suits, I believe that I can weigh in on this subject.

One doesn't need to be particularly tall, thin or athletic to wear one (I'm 5'9", and though not especially fat, not skinny either), though one's torso shouldn't be bulging out in the middle (a prominent gut is a particular no-no with this look).

Fit is important, as is "owning" the look - if you believe that you look natural in a three-piece suit, you will look natural.

I wear them in cooler months to the office (on days when it's a bit cool for a two-piece, but not so cold as to need an overcoat, a three-piece is very useful), as I would a two-piece suit. There is only one of my three-piece suits which I reserve for "special" occasions, as it is a very deep navy blue, and has very bold rope stripes (bought from New & Lingwood in London - it's quite an eyeful, but does require an occasion to be seen in it).

As it is, I'm wearing one today, and I've posted photos in WAYWRN of me in it, so check it out, and decide for yourselves.

1 person likes this.