• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why no love for the three piece suit?

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

tumblr_lc2nanrFw21qcjei9o1_400.jpg

tumblr_lm6lyzKM3p1qfjc32o1_500.jpg

1 - looks great!

2- looks stupid!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You must be looking for love in all the wrong places. There is plenty of love for the three piece suit.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Russ_H
It's a shame that this chap's waistcoat is too short, or his trousers too low in the waist.
I dislike seeing shirt or waistband between waistcoat and trousers. Surely the idea is to
give the impression of a single, unbroken sweep of material?

That is a bad example of a three piece suit...

It is screaming OTR designer suit...

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it looks good, a three piece suit is perfect for many occasions and for work. It is especially nice in the winter when things are colder than usual.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Thus your loss. It is not that hard to understand. You are missing out since you don't have a taste for them.

sigh, no.

Just like I don't care for aldo shoes, by not having them in my life, it is no loss to me. Yet some people love them, just like some people, like you, like double breasted suit.

As you see then, its simply a matter of opinion. Something that may seem like a loss to you is a blessing to me.

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? They seemed to show up all over the shows this year. Many more than last year. I would be prepared to embrace the look....
tumblr_lnk78nllV81qgafvdo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_lgd5ltfeOp1qgafvdo1_1280.png
tumblr_lfefi8f5Dv1qgxqnio1_500.jpg
tumblr_lm6lyzKM3p1qfjc32o1_500.jpg
tumblr_llziyshVea1qas9y1o1_500.jpg

I have to get a db jacket, really appreciating it now.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^The picking on that Isaia is ... something. I could see that at twenty paces with one eye tied behind my back.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Maybe this is the case in australia or oregon, but in NYC, a three piece suit raises very few eyebrows, unless you work in a very business casual environment.

It isn't that common in NYC either, and I'm talking generally, not city specific.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? They seemed to show up all over the shows this year. Many more than last year. I would be prepared to embrace the look....

I love this DB and have this image saved already under examples of DB. I can't wait to get a mid grey DB flannel suit for Winter.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
three piece suits are fine for any occasion which calls for a suit and for any age that would wear a suit.

the problem is - there aren't many OTR 3PS available these days. none at all at Brooks; Paul Stuart is offering one optional vest (any color you want, as long as it's gray chalk stripe)...

if the only way to get a 3PS is to go bespoke, they're not going to be seen very often.

Bought one at BB last year. Charcoal brown. Zegna fabric. Was surprised to find it at Brooks Bros in Birmingham AL of all places. Very nice suit.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
If lots of guys wear suits (even double-breasted) in your office, try it once and see what happens. You'll probably get compliments from the ladies, and some of the suited guys will probably ask you where you got your 3-pc. The key is to wear it like you just threw it on that morning without a second thought ("What, this old thing? Had it for years.")

There is no "occasion" for a 3-pc. It's just another type of suit, like 2-button vs. 3-button.

^^^

Winner

Minarchist

Reaction score
Can we please stop quoting the same wall of images 20 times without using spoiler tags?

To refrain a question that was asked and not answered on page one, is there a good place to find a 3-pc aside from going bespoke? I've not seen any OTR or on the 'bay with the exception of some horrible mod polyester extravaganzas.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Minarchist
Can we please stop quoting the same wall of images 20 times without using spoiler tags?

To refrain a question that was asked and not answered on page one, is there a good place to find a 3-pc aside from going bespoke? I've not seen any OTR or on the 'bay with the exception of some horrible mod polyester extravaganzas.

Does Gieves still do their OTR "core line" three piece suits? They were pretty good.

lemmy127

Reaction score
I'm with Quadcammer. My distaste with DBs is that with the waist taken in and the bottom flaring out around your lower body, it just looks like a dress.

On topic, I only have one suit currently, but if I get a job requiring daily wearing, you can bet several of my needed purchases will be three-piece. As with any other clothing, if you own your style, you'll look good. If you are uncertain about wearing it, that's when you get the snickers. And even if you get snickers when you have the attitude to wear it, screw them, you look good and know it. They are just compensating for realizing how slobby they look compared to you.

spidercan

Reaction score
Love the look of three piece suits, but I find they're much more difficult to find, especially on discount.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads