• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why no love for the three piece suit?

Just a guy

Reaction score
3 piece suits don't sit well with the current popular trend of slim lapels and slim ties.

Why not?

Sean Connery wore three-piece suits in Goldfinger and Thunderball with slim lapels and slim ties. Granted, Connery's suits were nothing like the modern skinny fit jobs, but I think that even they look slightly less objectionable when you wear them like this:

(I did say slightly).

Stugotes

Reaction score
That guy just looks too boyish to pull off a 3pc.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a bit of gravitas to make a 3 piece suit looks good..

I think this misses the point of the previous post. I agree that the model in question looks a bit silly, but the 'gravitas' thing really comes from the association of voluminous 3-piece suits with the, err... larger gentleman. 3-piece suits do not need to be cut like that and can indeed be cut with a bit more dash.

MisterFu

Reaction score
I agree and the fit is not great either..

You need a bit of gravitas to make a 3 piece suit looks good..

The fit looks okay to me (if you aren't going for the form-fitting slim look - at least the vest is a reasonable length), but what is not okay is that the jacket has the "standard" narrow lapel with a high-notch (I am just waiting for them to reach the shoulder) that you find on every suit at Men's Wearhouse. The suit just looks cheap to my eyes; little lapel roll, overly square shoulders, etc. It isn't terrible, but isn't comparable to that outstanding suite RogerP was sporting in a previous post.

As for the comment regarding gravitas, I'd say that when wearing anything that is more "flamboyant", be it a 3 piece, double breasted or 2 piece with an odd vest, you have to be comfortable with the idea that you are stepping outside the norm. Put another way, you have to like the way you look in it and, to some degree, you have to not care all that much about what others think. To me, the litmus test regarding the 3 piece suit and the waistcoat is would you wear them when they have fallen back into obscurity (as they were throughout the 90's and most of the noughts)? If the answer is yes, then the 3 piece might be for you. If no, then you'd be better served by a more standard 2 piece. The 3 piece suit is a great bit of style but it rarely makes for good fashion.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score

The fit looks okay to me (if you aren't going for the form-fitting slim look - at least the vest is a reasonable length), but what is not okay is that the jacket has the "standard" narrow lapel with a high-notch (I am just waiting for them to reach the shoulder) that you find on every suit at Men's Wearhouse. The suit just looks cheap to my eyes; little lapel roll, overly square shoulders, etc. It isn't terrible, but isn't comparable to that outstanding suite RogerP was sporting in a previous post.

As for the comment regarding gravitas, I'd say that when wearing anything that is more "flamboyant", be it a 3 piece, double breasted or 2 piece with an odd vest, you have to be comfortable with the idea that you are stepping outside the norm. Put another way, you have to like the way you look in it and, to some degree, you have to not care all that much about what others think. To me, the litmus test regarding the 3 piece suit and the waistcoat is would you wear them when they have fallen back into obscurity (as they were throughout the 90's and most of the noughts)? If the answer is yes, then the 3 piece might be for you. If no, then you'd be better served by a more standard 2 piece. The 3 piece suit is a great bit of style but it rarely makes for good fashion.

Personally, for a suit, 3-piece is the only way to go for me. Without a vest, I feel under dressed (sometimes even nude) when I wear a suit.

Plus, I look less overweight and taller with a vest than without. Joe Pesci (who I am a huge fan of) also look slimmer and taller with a vest than without. Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino (both of whom I am also a huge fan of) look taller (but not slimmer as they are already slim, especially Pacino) with a vest than without.

Clint Eastwood (who is my favorite person in Hollywood) looks shorter (but never chunky) without a vest.

Last edited:

Stugotes

Reaction score

These guys were estimated to be 18-22 years old. Photo from 1927.

I think this is a great example of looking young, but not boyish. That is probably b/c of their more grown-up haircut and the details of the suits (softer cut etc.).

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why not? Sean Connery wore three-piece suits in Goldfinger and Thunderball with slim lapels and slim ties. Granted, Connery's suits were nothing like the modern skinny fit jobs, but I think that even they look slightly less objectionable when you wear them like this:
LL
(I did say slightly).
This is just badly styled and shot. **** shoes, bad haircut, pose, everything, and yes it does look cheap. I always do three piece except for summer suits and DBs. I have been wearing them since I was 19. I think in this shot I was 25? so about 9 years ago now:
I make lots of three piece suits for clients here in New York, they seem quite popular.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is just badly styled and shot. **** shoes, bad haircut, pose, everything, and yes it does look cheap. I always do three piece except for summer suits and DBs. I have been wearing them since I was 19.
All of my recent suits, except summer suits, have been 3 piece. I love them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads